The Student Room Group

medicine ps for chemical engineering

this is probably a dumb question buy anyways,

So emailed Edinburgh uni and they allowed me to use my med ps for my 5th choice (chemical engineering) would this hinder my chances of getting an offer? Or will I still have a good enough chance of getting an offer?
Do you discuss chemistry/chemical engineering in your personal statement for medicine?
Reply 2
Original post by grey-giraffe
Do you discuss chemistry/chemical engineering in your personal statement for medicine?

Not really
Original post by kfc7
this is probably a dumb question buy anyways,

So emailed Edinburgh uni and they allowed me to use my med ps for my 5th choice (chemical engineering) would this hinder my chances of getting an offer? Or will I still have a good enough chance of getting an offer?

Well it wont help an engineering application...

Most engineering universities are more concerned with your A-level subjects & grades [or equivalent] rather then the PS, so I think if you meet the standard offer requirements I think you still have a good shot but ultimately no one can say for sure, id also say since the covid grade inflation has happened its much harder to predict what happens based on prior precedent.
Yes it will obviously hinder your application if you apply with a largely unrelated personal statement. Whether they'll give you an offer anyway will depend on how oversubscribed they are.
Reply 5
Original post by Plagioclase
Yes it will obviously hinder your application if you apply with a largely unrelated personal statement. Whether they'll give you an offer anyway will depend on how oversubscribed they are.

That's what I thought at first but then when I emailed them they said that my application won't be hindered, so that why I'm confused now.
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
Well it wont help an engineering application...

Most engineering universities are more concerned with your A-level subjects & grades [or equivalent] rather then the PS, so I think if you meet the standard offer requirements I think you still have a good shot but ultimately no one can say for sure, id also say since the covid grade inflation has happened its much harder to predict what happens based on prior precedent.

Here's the thing through, so I emailed them they said my application won't be hindered HOWEVER I still can send them another personal statement through an email and it will be uploaded, and for some reason, I feel like they're hinting at it (I will be at a disadvantage)
Original post by kfc7
Here's the thing through, so I emailed them they said my application won't be hindered HOWEVER I still can send them another personal statement through an email and it will be uploaded, and for some reason, I feel like they're hinting at it (I will be at a disadvantage)

They've offered you to submit another PS so just do that and it will probably be fine. The issue is not all courses/unis will consider applications with a medicine PS without prejudice, and some require a second PS to be submitted; since you know the case for this example then it should be straightforward.

I would note that medicine and chemical engineering are vastly different professions and I am struggling to see any relation between the two beyond "they have a reputation for high salaries and are vaguely STEM related", which to me suggests at least one of the two options you're not really applying to with all the right reasons...certainly for engineering the "promise" of a well paying job is not at all guaranteed despite assumptions to the contrary, and if that is your only draw to it then you will almost certainly find it a struggle getting through the more tedious parts of the course (of which there are quite a few honestly).
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
They've offered you to submit another PS so just do that and it will probably be fine. The issue is not all courses/unis will consider applications with a medicine PS without prejudice, and some require a second PS to be submitted; since you know the case for this example then it should be straightforward.

I would note that medicine and chemical engineering are vastly different professions and I am struggling to see any relation between the two beyond "they have a reputation for high salaries and are vaguely STEM related", which to me suggests at least one of the two options you're not really applying to with all the right reasons...certainly for engineering the "promise" of a well paying job is not at all guaranteed despite assumptions to the contrary, and if that is your only draw to it then you will almost certainly find it a struggle getting through the more tedious parts of the course (of which there are quite a few honestly).

Well mainly i have an interest in 3 subjects, medicine, chemical engineering, and econ/finance so for my 5th choice I just chose one of the other 2.
Original post by kfc7
Well mainly i have an interest in 3 subjects, medicine, chemical engineering, and econ/finance so for my 5th choice I just chose one of the other 2.

You are not offering compelling evidence for being interested in anything except making money...
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger
You are not offering compelling evidence for being interested in anything except making money...

i don't think i need to do so on tsr
Original post by kfc7
i don't think i need to do so on tsr

If you go into a degree that is known to be very challenging for people who are actually engaged in the subject and interested in it for reasons that are not purely financial, you are more likely to do worse, fail to get a good degree, and fail to get a good job. So you should pick something you actually want to do and would enjoy studying and doing, rather than merely cynically to try and pick the degrees you read an article saying they pay the most money.
Reply 12
They only give you an offer if you have the grades and they need ANYBODY.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending