The Student Room Group

Can I still do access to higher education after an apprenticeship

Hi there, I want to do an apprenticeship in something vocational for example hairdressing but I don’t want to do that as a career, what I want to know is if I can do an access to higher education afterwards just in case I change my mind
Why would you want to do an apprenticeship in a trade that you aren’t interested in? That kind of defeats the point and takes away an opportunity for someone who actually wants a career in hairdressing.

Apprenticeships don’t even have to pay National minimum wage for your first year, instead they have to the apprentice minimum wage which is something like £4.50 per hour.

If you want to do access to HE, do access to HE.
Reply 2
Original post by Cancelled Alice
Why would you want to do an apprenticeship in a trade that you aren’t interested in? That kind of defeats the point and takes away an opportunity for someone who actually wants a career in hairdressing.

Apprenticeships don’t even have to pay National minimum wage for your first year, instead they have to the apprentice minimum wage which is something like £4.50 per hour.

If you want to do access to HE, do access to HE.

Ok thanks for your response, but I'm only 16, and I'm not sure what I want to do, so that’s why I'm asking if you can do access to higher education later on and in the meantime do an apprenticeship in something.
Original post by Jessk04
Ok thanks for your response, but I'm only 16, and I'm not sure what I want to do, so that’s why I'm asking if you can do access to higher education later on and in the meantime do an apprenticeship in something.

What about college or sixthform?
Reply 4
Original post by Cancelled Alice
What about college or sixthform?

I’ve tried sixth form I found A levels really hard and my heart was just not in it enough, I then switched to college to do health and social and because I’m 3 weeks late on the course I’m struggling to catch up with the assignments and I don’t know whether just do an apprenticeship now.
Original post by Jessk04
I’ve tried sixth form I found A levels really hard and my heart was just not in it enough, I then switched to college to do health and social and because I’m 3 weeks late on the course I’m struggling to catch up with the assignments and I don’t know whether just do an apprenticeship now.

Have you reached out to your teachers for support with catching up?
L3 health and social care can get you in to uni.
I know your probably losing steam but you don’t need to throw the towel in at this point.
Reply 6
Original post by Jessk04
Hi there, I want to do an apprenticeship in something vocational for example hairdressing but I don’t want to do that as a career, what I want to know is if I can do an access to higher education afterwards just in case I change my mind

Instead apply for apprenticeship in teaching assistant, business admin, healthcare assistant or health and social care. L3 H&SC is the best option for University..like above person said Anything but hairdressing if your not fully into the profession. The experience & qualification you will get from them other apprenticeship will be more "transferable" as opposed to hairdressing qualification. The profession hair dressing is definitely good, demanding and you can be self-employed too but if long term your already thinking you may want to Access Higher Education then don't do it.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/apprenticeships/what-is-an-apprenticeship

https://www.gov.uk/become-apprentice
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending