The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths Applicants 2022

This is a thread for applicants to Warwick maths (or any joint degree course involving maths) to chat.

I'm a third year at Warwick studying maths. Did mathstat first year and happy to answer any questions about Warwick or maths over here.

It's worth mentioning that there are massive syllabus improvements (the weighting of modules is also getting major tweaking) due for you lot in both the mathematics and statistics departments, and possibly others too. More information should be available in the coming month(s).

The main applicant chat can be found here.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Warwick is one of my choices to study maths (2022). My other choices are Cambridge, Bath, Manchester, and Imperial. I really like the Warwick maths course but one thing that is putting me off is the accommodation: it looks dead. Plus I've heard there's quite a bit of construction work going on at the moment on campus - that means a lot of noise and disturbance which is not ideal.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
The requirement for Warwick maths is (provisionally) now A*A*A plus sufficient performance in an admissions test. This is a 2 in either STEP II or STEP III, and approximately 6.5 in the TMUA or 64 in MAT.

In particular, there is now no longer the A*A*A* or A*A*AA alternatives. The "majority" of applicants must take an admissions test and cannot get through with A-levels alone. This coincides with a syllabus change that makes at least the first two years of the degree harder. You may be able to circumvent this with a contextual offer.

I would recommend people looking for the easiest way through to take the TMUA. The deadline fpr entry is on the 1st October or 15th October with late fees. This aside, whether you would want to take the STEP II (or STEP III) or MAT is personal preference imo.
(edited 2 years ago)
Is TMUA online this year?
Original post by AlgebraKing3
Is TMUA online this year?

yep, 'computer based test' for 2021 (https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/test-of-mathematics-for-university-admission/)
Reply 6
im applying to warwick for maths. my other choices are cambridge imperial (maths and cs) ucl and bath. i cant be asked to sit the tmua or mat now so id rather just prepare step tbh - especially if I manage to somehow get a cambridge offer hahaha
Original post by Cs115
im applying to warwick for maths. my other choices are cambridge imperial (maths and cs) ucl and bath. i cant be asked to sit the tmua or mat now so id rather just prepare step tbh - especially if I manage to somehow get a cambridge offer hahaha

Yeah ngl it's a bit late notice, I'm not sure when they changed the page but it wasn't that long ago.

As you're applying maths + CS and Imperial have you considered discrete maths at warwick? It's also (more or less) a maths and CS course. (the maths cores are geared slightly towards combinatorics though)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
Yeah ngl it's a bit late notice, I'm not sure when they changed the page but it wasn't that long ago.

As you're applying maths + CS and Imperial have you considered discrete maths at warwick? It's also (more or less) a maths and CS course. (the maths cores are geared slightly towards combinatorics though)

I hadn't actually Ill have a look now then thanks
Original post by _gcx
The requirement for Warwick maths is (provisionally) now A*A*A plus sufficient performance in an admissions test. This is a 2 in either STEP II or STEP III, and approximately 6.5 in the TMUA or 64 in MAT.

In particular, there is now no longer the A*A*A* or A*A*AA alternatives. The "majority" of applicants must take an admissions test and cannot get through with A-levels alone. This coincides with a syllabus change that makes at least the first two years of the degree harder. You may be able to circumvent this with a contextual offer.

I would recommend people looking for the easiest way through to take the TMUA. The deadline fpr entry is on the 1st October or 15th October with late fees. This aside, whether you would want to take the STEP II (or STEP III) or MAT is personal preference imo.

64 seems very high for the MAT, for the TMUA in 2019 I believe 25 / 40 was a scaled score of 6.5

I decided to take the TMUA instead of the MAT recently, I just need to make sure I learn the paper 2 syllabus which I am doing now
Original post by Driving_Mad
64 seems very high for the MAT, for the TMUA in 2019 I believe 25 / 40 was a scaled score of 6.5

I decided to take the TMUA instead of the MAT recently, I just need to make sure I learn the paper 2 syllabus which I am doing now

Warwick's MAT reduction is usually fairly high.
Reply 11
Original post by Driving_Mad

I guess a 64 in the MAT is probably easier than a 2 in STEP 2/3 so its not too bad. A 6.5 in the TMUA is certainly easier
Reply 12
Original post by _gcx

For international students. What are the best online sites to prepare for these math exams. Does one need to do them before applying? I see you mention TMUA specifically: how do the various tests compare and which best ie highest regarded and which easiest

Are they all Oct tests- slightly problematic as will be during my country's final exams then and may conflict with those leaving me unable to write
Reply 13
Original post by _gcx

How does Warwick Discrete math course compare to other CS& Math courses? Is it highly regarded?

Which unis best for combined maths & CS degrees?
Original post by CH971
For international students. What are the best online sites to prepare for these math exams. Does one need to do them before applying? I see you mention TMUA specifically: how do the various tests compare and which best ie highest regarded and which easiest

Are they all Oct tests- slightly problematic as will be during my country's final exams then and may conflict with those leaving me unable to write

There are the STEP preparation modules: https://maths.org/step/assignments (even though STEP I no longer exists, this serves as a useful stepping stone) https://maths.org/step/assignments-stepii, https://maths.org/step/assignments-stepiii. I'm not sure what's available for the TMUA or MAT, but there are past papers online.

TMUA is definitely the easiest, I think "objectively" (ie. in terms of raw difficulty) speaking the MAT is easier than the STEP, but I think the style of MAT questions is sometimes further from A-level (some remind me more of maths challenge puzzles) so it's feasible someone might find it harder, or at least do comparatively less well in it. There's not really ever a question over which is best regarded. Often there's a certain threshhold unis set for each test (sometimes unwritten and determined in light of performance that year) and if you meet it, you've got it. Some like Oxford and Imperial take a more holistic approach.

MAT and TMUA are end of October, STEP is mid-late June. (towards the end of A-level exams)
Original post by CH971
How does Warwick Discrete math course compare to other CS& Math courses? Is it highly regarded?

I think the CS department is academically pretty good but the administration can be a pain. I don't know much about the details. Their maths course is top notch and on discrete maths you'll be taking the same modules as maths students. (for the most part, there are only 3 exceptions)

I never researched maths & CS combined degrees sorry.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by CH971

oxford imperial have maths and cs degrees and are probably the most competitive. having read into discrete maths at Warwick it looks very similar to those. I think UCL also have a mathematical computation degree which is similar. bath and bristol both have maths and cs degrees
Looking at the conversions since the paper was sat (not including 2016 as this was only 60 minutes each paper rather than 75), to get 6.5 you needed 24/40 in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.

Would it be reasonable to assume this mark shouldn't increase by a substantial amount (e.g. more than a couple of marks) in 2021? Also this year it'll be a computer-based test, would that have any difference to the average score?

Paper 1 is alright, just the new content on paper 2 not exactly similar to the A Level syllabus like if statements, necessary, sufficient etc all those terms is a little difficult, but the notes on the website help.
Reply 18
Original post by _gcx
There are the STEP preparation modules: https://maths.org/step/assignments (even though STEP I no longer exists, this serves as a useful stepping stone) https://maths.org/step/assignments-stepii, https://maths.org/step/assignments-stepiii. I'm not sure what's available for the TMUA or MAT, but there are past papers online.

TMUA is definitely the easiest, I think "objectively" (ie. in terms of raw difficulty) speaking the MAT is easier than the STEP, but I think the style of MAT questions is sometimes further from A-level (some remind me more of maths challenge puzzles) so it's feasible someone might find it harder, or at least do comparatively less well in it. There's not really ever a question over which is best regarded. Often there's a certain threshhold unis set for each test (sometimes unwritten and determined in light of performance that year) and if you meet it, you've got it. Some like Oxford and Imperial take a more holistic approach.

MAT and TMUA are end of October, STEP is mid-late June. (towards the end of A-level exams)

Many thanks
Original post by _gcx

Wtf when was this updated?? I've already applied and now I don't have the A*A*A* fallback if I flunk the TMUA/MAT :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending