The Student Room Group

Have I been scammed? Advice needed

I recently ordered a new phone from Virgin Mobile today and I selected this plan: £43 with 160GB data.
I've come to a resolution, that I've been scammed. Because why does it say "introductory offer" and the original amount of data crossed out (16GB). I feel like I've wasted my money because this is not what I had in mind. If I knew this was the case then I would've just settled for another plan: £41 with 24GB data. I know it's only £2 difference but the amount of data isn't. I chose to have a lot of data as I will be travelling a lot, and live in a home where my WIFI connection is very poor. This "introductory offer" is stressing me out because I'm afraid that I'll be paying that amount of money for basically very little data. There isn't much advice on the VM site about this, and I don't want to think receiving 160GB is going to be short term, I'm expecting it to cover for at least 3 years, but right now, I'm not sure. Does anyone have any solution to this?
Original post by Anonymous
I recently ordered a new phone from Virgin Mobile today and I selected this plan: £43 with 160GB data.
I've come to a resolution, that I've been scammed. Because why does it say "introductory offer" and the original amount of data crossed out (16GB). I feel like I've wasted my money because this is not what I had in mind. If I knew this was the case then I would've just settled for another plan: £41 with 24GB data. I know it's only £2 difference but the amount of data isn't. I chose to have a lot of data as I will be travelling a lot, and live in a home where my WIFI connection is very poor. This "introductory offer" is stressing me out because I'm afraid that I'll be paying that amount of money for basically very little data. There isn't much advice on the VM site about this, and I don't want to think receiving 160GB is going to be short term, I'm expecting it to cover for at least 3 years, but right now, I'm not sure. Does anyone have any solution to this?

Check the terms of your contract. It should say how much data you are allowed over the term.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Check the terms of your contract. It should say how much data you are allowed over the term.

How can I check the terms of my contract? There is literally nothing.. no information or anything. I'm lost
How can I check the terms of my contract? There is literally nothing.. no information or anything. I'm lost

What did they send you when you bought the phone?
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
What did they send you when you bought the phone?

Just a confirmation email and when my item will be here.
Reply 5
A quick look at their site seems to indicate that you will get that amount of data every month.
Reply 6
Original post by Talon
A quick look at their site seems to indicate that you will get that amount of data every month.

Really. 160GB or 16GB? and where did you see that?
Reply 7
Really. 160GB or 16GB? and where did you see that?

At https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/pay-monthly see the "Offers + Extras" section. Under "Handset Airtime offers" it says:

Data boost: £14 for 160GB data plan: Boosted from 16GB. Increased allowance continues as long as you remain on the same plan. Offer ends 13/10/21.
Reply 8
Original post by martin7
At https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/pay-monthly see the "Offers + Extras" section. Under "Handset Airtime offers" it says:

Data boost: £14 for 160GB data plan: Boosted from 16GB. Increased allowance continues as long as you remain on the same plan. Offer ends 13/10/21.

Thank you so much. So I'm assuming I'm still getting the 160GB data plan, but if I chose it at a later date I would be entitled to the one with 16GB?
Reply 9
Original post by martin7

I feel like I've been tricked! I just got my new phone delivered today, and on my letter from virgin it says my monthly plan is 16gb data...and I'm paying £14???
Original post by Talon

hii. I feel like I've been tricked! I just got my new phone delivered today, and on my letter from virgin it says my monthly plan is 16gb data...and I'm paying £14???
Reply 11
hii. I feel like I've been tricked! I just got my new phone delivered today, and on my letter from virgin it says my monthly plan is 16gb data...and I'm paying £14???

What does your email receipt say?
Reply 12

Phone them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending