The Student Room Group

TSR's Rules Have Changed

It has been a week since the changes were made but there has still been no official announcement. Since we are all bound by these rules it seems prudent to inform the community.

These are the new rules:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq.php?faq=tsr_cat#faq_site_rules_and_guidelines_detailed

This is not a thread to debate or discuss the rules. If you have questions or clarifications please take them to AtCS.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Don't shoot the messenger.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
It has been a week since the changes were made but there has still been no official announcement. Since we are all bound by these rules it seems prudent to inform the community.

These are the new rules:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq.php?faq=tsr_cat#faq_site_rules_and_guidelines_detailed

This is not a thread to debate or discuss the rules. If you have questions or clarifications please take them to AtCS.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Don't shoot the messenger.

Might just be me being stupid but what’s changed between the old rules and these?
Original post by heccyeah
Might just be me being stupid but what’s changed between the old rules and these?

A couple off the top of my head:
Some of the carding (moderation escalation) is worded differently/has been changed. I believe the guidelines have a larger focus on safeguarding and making TSR a more inclusive place for all than before. Also I think the section about misinformation has been added (this will help massively in the health forum)
Original post by heccyeah

Quite a lot, rules that were previously unwritten have now been written such as misinformation, contacting users off site, contempt of court, etc. Mostly it seems it has been a rewording to make certain things less ambiguous such as including various forms of discrimination as examples.
Now nobody is going to see this thread because it has been moved the TSR's most neglected board.

@Pink Unicorn are you going to making an official announcement since it has already been a week of silence?
@Pink Unicorn are you going to making an official announcement since it has already been a week of silence?

To add to that the issues TSR are having with the PM system have been known for at least 10 months so that isn't an excuse.

And I suggested putting a thread in Chat so more people could be informed since it is the single most popular board. Which is exactly what I did in lieu of no official announcement being made.

If you are going to change the rules and expect people to follow them then you need to tell people.

So CS, when can we expect an announcement?
@Gothic Kitten
@BlinkyBill
To add to that the issues TSR are having with the PM system have been known for at least 10 months so that isn't an excuse.

And I suggested putting a thread in Chat so more people could be informed since it is the single most popular board. Which is exactly what I did in lieu of no official announcement being made.

If you are going to change the rules and expect people to follow them then you need to tell people.

So CS, when can we expect an announcement?
@Gothic Kitten
@BlinkyBill

Heya

Just replying briefly to let you know I've seen this, but @Pink Unicorn will be best placed to respond next week I'm afraid (as she's unavailable today).

Just a quick clarification on the PM issues though - I feel I was unclear in the post I made 10 months ago about that. I just want to confirm, the issues we were having were nothing to do with functionality, and it does still get used regularly and without issue when it comes to service messages and changes. So I'm not sure this previous conversation is actually super relevant to this. :smile:

Have a nice weekend.

BB
I've still not received a PM about this :nope:
Original post by BlinkyBill
Heya

Just replying briefly to let you know I've seen this, but @Pink Unicorn will be best placed to respond next week I'm afraid (as she's unavailable today).

Just a quick clarification on the PM issues though - I feel I was unclear in the post I made 10 months ago about that. I just want to confirm, the issues we were having were nothing to do with functionality, and it does still get used regularly and without issue when it comes to service messages and changes. So I'm not sure this previous conversation is actually super relevant to this. :smile:

Have a nice weekend.

BB

Given that the only reason I know the rules changed is because I was forwarded a PM someone else received from TSR, it doesn't seem like the PM system is functioning. Unless of course the plan was to only tell random users that the rules were updated. And then hide any threads made about the new rules.

Seems like a strange communication strategy to me.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Nor me.
Nor me.
Nor me.

I believe the announcement of the changes have been affected by staff availability over the last fortnight. Once the availability of CS returns to normal (Monday onwards), I would expect further developments then.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Nor me.

This is helpful to know, thank you. I'll have a chinwag with the team today.
Original post by BlinkyBill
This is helpful to know, thank you. I'll have a chinwag with the team today.

If the other threads about the new rules hadn't been hidden you probably would have known about this a week ago.
Timeline of events.

17th September - Rules Changed
17th September - PM about change sent to random users
17th September - Thread asking if others got PM, most say no. Thread deleted
17th September - Thread asking why rules have changed. Thread deleted
20th September - TSR make statement that a different statement will be made "shorty"
24th September - Thread informing people of change posted in Chat. Thread moved to here
24th September - TSR says there is no problem with PM system
27th September - TSR learns there is in fact a problem with PM system

Community Update thread remains un-updated and any questions in the thread have been ignored. Still no official communication from TSR to everyone about rules change.

A masterclass in poor communication.
(edited 2 years ago)
IMO, the rules are poorly thought-out and worded. It's what I expected.
Timeline of events.

17th September - Rules Changed
17th September - PM about change sent to random users
17th September - Thread asking if others got PM, most say no. Thread deleted
17th September - Thread asking why rules have changed. Thread deleted
20th September - TSR make statement that a different statement will be made "shorty"
24th September - Thread informing people of change posted in Chat. Thread moved to here
24th September - TSR says there is no problem with PM system
27th September - TSR learns there is in fact a problem with PM system

Community Update thread remains un-updated and any questions in the thread have been ignored. Still no official communication from TSR to everyone about rules change.

A masterclass in poor communication.

Be careful - your post might get deleted.
Original post by RogerOxon
Be careful - your post might get deleted.

If they fear open communication that much then they are more than welcome to remove anything they like. It will just prove my point.

This has been done, since you made this post.

It has already been explained that staff availability has affected the communications on this particular development.
Original post by 04MR17
This has been done, since you made this post.

It has already been explained that staff availability has affected the communications on this particular development.

It isn't a valid excuse.

TSR's communication has been consistently awful for well over a year now.
It isn't a valid excuse.

TSR's communication has been consistently awful for well over a year now.

I didn't say anything was an excuse, valid or invalid. It is, however, a cause.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending