The Student Room Group

the less i sleep i get, the happier i feel

surprisingly, it turns out that i function on just a few hours of sleep a day, with the help of energy drinks. and i feel better than ever. i feel way less depressed than before, and mood just keeps improving.

it's weird but it works. i used to sleep 10-15h a day. 10/10 recommend if anyone is struggling with depression

Scroll to see replies

Energy drinks aren't the best things to be relying on - they're terrible for your heart.
Reply 2
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Energy drinks aren't the best things to be relying on - they're terrible for your heart.

i knoww, they give me heart palpitations sometimes. but i feel so much better mentally, and my energy levels are why higher than before. so it's worth it
Reply 3
Original post by Ciel.
surprisingly, it turns out that i function on just a few hours of sleep a day, with the help of energy drinks. and i feel better than ever. i feel way less depressed than before, and mood just keeps improving.

it's weird but it works. i used to sleep 10-15h a day. 10/10 recommend if anyone is struggling with depression

Eeeeehhh.. That’s interesting.

I tend to get extremely emotionally unstable if I do this? One instant I’m happy, then in 5 min I’d want to pull some stupid **** up :s-smilie:

But it does surprisingly make me feel calmer and to care less if I’m doing something important that day.

Also, I used to and still can’t sleep a good number of hours in one go. Like I’d sleep for two/three hours then I’ll wake up and have to spend more hours awake trying to go back to sleep again. Wondering if you’re like this too?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ciel.

Energy drinks are not a substitute for sleep. The reason why you feel alert is because the caffeine in the energy drinks mutes the adenosine in your brain (which is what applies pressure on you to feel sleepy). Your circadian rhythm (which is how your body knows when to sleep in a 24 hour cycle) will continue to operate, which means that even with little sleep there will be times when you feel awake naturally, and combined with the energy drinks you can keep that feeling going in quite a sustained way. The problem is that in doing so you are depriving your body of sleep, which is absolutely essential to a huge range of physical and neurological needs.

I cannot comment on your mental health. I've seen mention in other posts that you struggle with it, and I sympathise not only with that ongoing struggle but with the desire to find anything that helps, no matter how ill advised it may seem. But this combination of lack of sleep and energy drinks is not a sustainable long or even medium term solution. It's something that will cause a lot of damage and negative effects to you even if you feel well from a mental health perspective. As much as it feels worth it (and I do understand why it would) it absolutely unequivocally isn't. I hesitate to advise you to stop doing something that you feel is working for you, but it really is something that will cause a lot more harm than good in pretty short order.
Original post by Ciel.
i knoww, they give me heart palpitations sometimes. but i feel so much better mentally, and my energy levels are why higher than before. so it's worth it

I disagree that it's worth it. You would do better with getting raised energy levels from 8 hours of sleep, regular exercise, and an overall more healthy lifestyle.

I've moved this thread to the Health section.
Nah

I struggle to sleep but definitely feel better on 12 hours sleep than 4.

My ability to do anything goes so down the drain when I’m under 6 hours sleep.
Reply 7
Original post by wifd149
Eeeeehhh.. That’s interesting.

I tend to get extremely emotionally unstable if I do this? One instant I’m happy, then in 5 min I’d want to pull some stupid **** up :s-smilie:

But it does surprisingly make me feel calmer and to care less if I’m doing something important that day.

Also, I used to and still can’t sleep a good number of hours in one go. Like I’d sleep for two/three hours then I’ll wake up and have to spend more hours awake trying to go back to sleep again. Wondering if you’re like this too?

i often get crazy mood shifts too but, surprisingly, my mood seems much more stable now
but once i fall asleep i usually sleep through the night
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I disagree that it's worth it. You would do better with getting raised energy levels from 8 hours of sleep, regular exercise, and an overall more healthy lifestyle.

I've moved this thread to the Health section.

healthy lifestyle just doesn't seem to work for me. i know it sounds weird and it makes no sense but even when i'd get 10-15h of sleep, eat lots of fruit and veg and walk our dog 2h a day i was still tired af, and my depression would be really bad
Original post by Little pecker
Nah

I struggle to sleep but definitely feel better on 12 hours sleep than 4.

My ability to do anything goes so down the drain when I’m under 6 hours sleep.

that used to be the case with me too but things are different now
idk why but lack of sleep is defo doing something for my depression
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Energy drinks are not a substitute for sleep. The reason why you feel alert is because the caffeine in the energy drinks mutes the adenosine in your brain (which is what applies pressure on you to feel sleepy). Your circadian rhythm (which is how your body knows when to sleep in a 24 hour cycle) will continue to operate, which means that even with little sleep there will be times when you feel awake naturally, and combined with the energy drinks you can keep that feeling going in quite a sustained way. The problem is that in doing so you are depriving your body of sleep, which is absolutely essential to a huge range of physical and neurological needs.

I cannot comment on your mental health. I've seen mention in other posts that you struggle with it, and I sympathise not only with that ongoing struggle but with the desire to find anything that helps, no matter how ill advised it may seem. But this combination of lack of sleep and energy drinks is not a sustainable long or even medium term solution. It's something that will cause a lot of damage and negative effects to you even if you feel well from a mental health perspective. As much as it feels worth it (and I do understand why it would) it absolutely unequivocally isn't. I hesitate to advise you to stop doing something that you feel is working for you, but it really is something that will cause a lot more harm than good in pretty short order.

i get what you mean but i know some people that, despite only getting like 5h of sleep per day or so, have no apparent health issues. so for now i'm willing to give this a try and at least continue for a few more weeks. i finally have enough energy and motivation to work on all my old art projects which is really unusual, lol
Original post by Ciel.
i get what you mean but i know some people that, despite only getting like 5h of sleep per day or so, have no apparent health issues. so for now i'm willing to give this a try and at least continue for a few more weeks. i finally have enough energy and motivation to work on all my old art projects which is really unusual, lol

I think you know the word 'apparent' is a particularly important one in that reply. The consequences of lack of sleep, particularly if you regularly don't get enough sleep, often aren't apparent. But there is absolutely no doubt scientifically as to what those consequences are and how wide ranging they are. Again, I really do sympathise with your mental health issues and understand entirely why you would want to carry on with this given how it's making you feel. This is also your decision to make. But regardless of how you feel day to day, there is absolutely no doubt at all that this approach is not very good for you, to put it mildly.
Reply 9
Original post by Ciel.
i often get crazy mood shifts too but, surprisingly, my mood seems much more stable now
but once i fall asleep i usually sleep through the night

healthy lifestyle just doesn't seem to work for me. i know it sounds weird and it makes no sense but even when i'd get 10-15h of sleep, eat lots of fruit and veg and walk our dog 2h a day i was still tired af, and my depression would be really bad

that used to be the case with me too but things are different now
idk why but lack of sleep is defo doing something for my depression

Strongly agree on the healthy lifestyle not really working out on its own; I personally find it hard to appreciate it after living like a scumbag all my life with not nice living conditions too.

I guess we need our own ways to lift our spirits from time to time, good thing that the caffeine is working for you tho. And that your sleeping patterns is actually decent :redface:

Admiringly am quite envious hahaha :hat2:
Reply 10
Original post by Crazy Jamie
I think you know the word 'apparent' is a particularly important one in that reply. The consequences of lack of sleep, particularly if you regularly don't get enough sleep, often aren't apparent. But there is absolutely no doubt scientifically as to what those consequences are and how wide ranging they are. Again, I really do sympathise with your mental health issues and understand entirely why you would want to carry on with this given how it's making you feel. This is also your decision to make. But regardless of how you feel day to day, there is absolutely no doubt at all that this approach is not very good for you, to put it mildly.

that sucks :<
i guess i'll reconsider my life choices but only when i'm done with my art projects, it's just an opportunity too good to miss tbh
Original post by wifd149
Strongly agree on the healthy lifestyle not really working out on its own; I personally find it hard to appreciate it after living like a scumbag all my life with not nice living conditions too.

I guess we need our own ways to lift our spirits from time to time, good thing that the caffeine is working for you tho. And that your sleeping patterns is actually decent :redface:

Admiringly am quite envious hahaha :hat2:

i wouldn't call my sleep patterns decent tbh. i mean, i can control them but only because i take sleep meds
Reply 11
update: it was a BaD iDeA :<
It is a similar situation for me.
I haven't slept more than 5 hours since I was primary school age.
Are you on a long term daily calorie restriction that involves small portions or a special diet?
Sleep deprivation can actually be used as a treatment for depression. Google it.

(Before anyone says, I am not suggesting anyone does this without advice from a doctor, I just think it's interesting)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by londonmyst
It is a similar situation for me.
I haven't slept more than 5 hours since I was primary school age.
Are you on a long term daily calorie restriction that involves small portions or a special diet?

i experienced like the worst heart palpitations ever yesterday, and now my boyfriend won't allow me to get any more red bulls and monsters :<
i mean, not really? most people think i eat very little tho, when i tell them what i eat in a day. why?
Original post by black tea
Total sleep deprivation can actually be used as a treatment for depression. Google it.

(Before anyone says, I am not suggesting anyone does this without advice from a doctor, I just think it's interesting)

i do think it actually works which is pretty crazy
but i'm not doing it anymore. it's just not possible without energy drinks, my body just crashed today, eh
I noticed one day that the less I would eat, the better I felt. Now I eat a regular 2000 calories a day on average, and I look like a normal person. It's amazing.
Original post by Ciel.
i experienced like the worst heart palpitations ever yesterday, and now my boyfriend won't allow me to get any more red bulls and monsters :<
i mean, not really? most people think i eat very little tho, when i tell them what i eat in a day. why?

I've only drunk a few sips of high energy drinks on a few occassions and had dreadful chest pains every times.
Probably because I have dietary allergies that include artificial sugar substitutes.

I'm the same weight I was as a 13 year old and mostly stick to a daily calorie restriction of 750-950 calories.
Mostly through controlling my diet, homecooking twice daily meals from scratch and restricting portion sizes.
Only meats I eat are chicken and beef.
I wondered if you had any similar habits as regards dietary lifestyle.
Original post by Ciel.
i do think it actually works which is pretty crazy
but i'm not doing it anymore. it's just not possible without energy drinks, my body just crashed today, eh

Totally. Always thought people were joking when they talked about treating depression with lack of sleep but yeah, it totally can work - I feel absolutely euphoric if I don't sleep for a night.
Original post by londonmyst
I've only drunk a few sips of high energy drinks on a few occassions and had dreadful chest pains every times.
Probably because I have dietary allergies that include artificial sugar substitutes.

I'm the same weight I was as a 13 year old and mostly stick to a daily calorie restriction of 750-950 calories.
Mostly through controlling my diet, homecooking twice daily meals from scratch and restricting portion sizes.
Only meats I eat are chicken and beef.
I wondered if you had any similar habits as regards dietary lifestyle.

Who eats all the stuff that you post your bulldog with?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by black tea
Who eats all the stuff that you post your bulldog with?

Union Jack Wearing Bulldog is in the habit of robbing as many tasty high calorie treats as he can get his paws on from other animals, children and adults. :biggrin:
Some of the dogs I look after try to rob him, along with a few friends and their children.
A few manage to steal some junk food when his back is turned or he allow them to have his leftovers to avoid them being used for pigswill.:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest