The Student Room Group

Cardiff University A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by MadyanC1
I have: 9999998887 (27/27) and then A*A*A (8/9)
For UCAT I have 2730 band 3
That should give me a good chance of an interview and competitive application right? (I've made sure to put what they like to see in my PS too).
Also I got an A* in EPQ, will that count towards anything (bear in mind I've already applied to Cardiff I just need the reassurement :redface:)

You should be in a good position but just have to wait and see! epq does not usually count but congratulations anyway on your result
Reply 81
Original post by Surfio
i have found this:
The personal statement should include insight into a career in medicine, evidence of experience and reflection in a caring environment, evidence and reflection of personal responsibility, evidence of a balanced approach to life, and evidence of self-directed learning.

These are the key elements! :smile: did you have any questions about aspects?
Reply 82
Anyone know if cardiff allow lower grades entry.. like do they have a gateway year programme / will they allow an AAB?
Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
Reply 83
does cardiff accept band 4? and do they give most places to welsh people?
Original post by dr100
does cardiff accept band 4? and do they give most places to welsh people?

I haven't seen anything on their website to suggest they don't accept band 4 but may be worth ringing them to find out!

I have heard on here that Welsh state school applicants get contextual points due to the shortage of doctors in Wales but again double check this! I don't believe this means they give more places to Welsh people but if you want to be sure then try ringing them unless anyone else knows? When I emailed them asking for the details they said they didn't give me a very clear answer.
Hi! I am a gap year student applying for the 2nd time. How likely am I to get an interview?

GCSE : 4 9s, 4 8s, 2 7s, 6

A levels (Achieved) :

Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Maths- A*
Further maths- A

UCAT Score :

VR - 610
DM - 660
QR - 740
AR - 800
Total - 2810 SJT - Band 2

Work experience :
-1 week haematology placement
-2 years volunteering with children with disabilities
-telephone befriender
-chemo ward volunteer
-charity shop volunteer

Nothing contextual.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply 86
Original post by ENR123
In essence please do take the information on here with a pinch of salt unless it has come from people from Cardiff uni such as myself I am a 4th year medical student and would hate to think that inaccurate messages on here put you off from applying! Cardiff is a fantastic course if I don't say so myself please do go to the upcoming open day as well!

Thanks for this msg. Cardiff is one of my choices! I think I might have missed the open day or is it coming up in Oct?
Reply 87
Hi
I'm applying with achieved A levels of A*AA in biology, chemistry and psychology. I got 9888877777 in my GCSE's and 2620 B2 (655 average) in my UCAT. I know normally my GCSE's would be nowhere near good enough for Cardiff however with achieved A levels I scored myself with 30 points which is above the maximum cut off of 27 points. How likely am I to get an interview for Cardiff? Do my lower GCSE's put me at a disadvantage?
Med 2022 entry my stats
GCSES
English Language-8
English Literature-8
Maths-9
Biology-9
Chemistry-9
Physics-9
Economics-9
spanish-9
Computer Science-9
Geography-9

A-Levels - prediction
Maths-c at A*
Biology-A at A*
Chemistry -A at A*

UCAT--2800 VR-700 DM-730 QR-740 AR-630
SJT-Band 2

I have done work experience at a hospital, pharmacy , London ambulance ,EPQ etc.

Thanks for the advice.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by MorningCat
Med 2022 entry my stats
GCSES
English Language-9
English Literature-8
Maths-9
Biology-9
Chemistry-9
Physics-9
Economics-9
spanish-9

A-Levels - prediction
Maths-c at A*
Biology-A at A*
Chemistry -A at A*

UCAT--2800 VR-700 DM-730 QR-740 AR-630
SJT-Band 2

I have done work experience at a hospital, pharmacy , London ambulance ,EPQ etc.

Thanks for the advice.

Cardiff score 9 GCSEs:
9, 8, A* = 3 points
7, A = 2 points
6, B = 1 point

Source: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2022/medicine-mbbch

The highest you can score is 27 but I believe they had more people with 27/27 than interviews last year so used personal statement and UCAT to shortlist. It looks as though you only have 8 GCSEs so I'm not sure whether you would lose 3 points or if they would scale them up so maybe ask them about this.
Reply 90
Original post by ENR123
No 24 is a good score i would still consider!

i feel like you need to chill out a sec; med admissions 4 years ago is nothing like it is today and yeah maybe ppl may have gotten in with 24 back then but they certainly didn't last year as non-contextual applicants. this is so misleading and what are you going to say when they get rejected pre-interview? "c'est la vie??????" girl this is our FUTURE at stake, come off it
Reply 91
Original post by m4zza
i feel like you need to chill out a sec; med admissions 4 years ago is nothing like it is today and yeah maybe ppl may have gotten in with 24 back then but they certainly didn't last year as non-contextual applicants. this is so misleading and what are you going to say when they get rejected pre-interview? "c'est la vie??????" girl this is our FUTURE at stake, come off it

PRSOM
Original post by Kylie18
Just had an email from Cardiff uni saying I didn’t meet the interview requirements, so I am rejected from medicine, but saying I can choose an alternative offer for another course 🥺

I am planning to apply this year to Cardiff, I have 5 9s and 5 8s , ucat 2580 band 2 . Do you think I have any chance of getting an interview. What were your scores last so that I get an idea. Thanks.
Hello! My Stats are
Achieved A Levels: A* A* A (plus a fourth A sat in year 11)
GCSE: 9999887 (only 7 because school didn’t accommodate for more)
UCAT: 2600, Band 2. Is it worth applying? Any help would be appreciated! :smile:
Original post by m4zza

well said!! especially since pretty much our whole cohort has inflated GCSEs due to CAGs.....
Original post by arjunak123
I am planning to apply this year to Cardiff, I have 5 9s and 5 8s , ucat 2580 band 2 . Do you think I have any chance of getting an interview. What were your scores last so that I get an idea. Thanks.

This thread is for 2021 entry, so would reccomend posting in the 2022 entry thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7035436
You have the GCSEs for Cardiff, but they use UCAT and PS as tiebreakers, so depends how much you like it and your level of risk.
Hi, alot of people saying that we need to tailor our personal statement to Cardiff. Where are their requirements? can someone send me the link? i cant seem to find it.
Reply 97
Original post by m4zza

I appreciate your words but I really want to enforce a sense of worth! it's important that candidates dont put themselves down If they don't have the 27/27 points. They are still capable as a whole to do medicine! Yes of course grades do have a greater emphasis at Cardiff but in my opinion alone (not the medical school) scores at 24 is a competitive score! I may have applied 4 years ago but I've been up to date with admissions since, it does not say on the website you must have 27 points :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by musab_101
Hi, alot of people saying that we need to tailor our personal statement to Cardiff. Where are their requirements? can someone send me the link? i cant seem to find it.

On the admissions policy is says personal statement should include insight into a career in medicine, evidence of experience, and reflection in a caring environment evidence and reflection of personal responsibility, evidence of balanced approach to life and evidence of self directed learning
hey thanks for the reply, is it possible if you could read my ps and see if it is ok? also do I have a chance for an interview? my gcses are 998887776, ACHIEVED a levels of A*AA and a ucat of 2470 band 1. I score 27/27 so will I have a good chance if my ps is good?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending