The Student Room Group

Disciplinary hearing

I've been suspended from my work because I was caught on my phone.

I have a disciplinary hearing over zoom and just wanted to ask would I need to turn my camera on or can I leave it off during the hearing?
Original post by Misszeus

I have a disciplinary hearing over zoom and just wanted to ask would I need to turn my camera on or can I leave it off during the hearing?

You should be allowed to record this meeting especially if you don't have any union rep alongside you as that way they or you can't deny what been said at meeting. But you'll probably need camera on so they can see you.

Pre warn your employer when you start this zoom meeting that you are recording this and if they reject ask them why okay if you chose to do that,

Using a phone while at work is generally no but depends on company policy on this matter ( if stated in it you shouldn't use your phone while at work unless emergency matter ) but how many others doing this at your work place but not being punished.....!!

They will want you to turn it on. Put up a background if you don't want them to see what's behind you.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
They will want you to turn it on. Put up a background if you don't want them to see what's behind you.

Can I just start my camera is broken😭😭🤣
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
You should be allowed to record this meeting especially if you don't have any union rep alongside you as that way they or you can't deny what been said at meeting. But you'll probably need camera on so they can see you.

Pre warn your employer when you start this zoom meeting that you are recording this and if they reject ask them why okay if you chose to do that,

Using a phone while at work is generally no but depends on company policy on this matter ( if stated in it you shouldn't use your phone while at work unless emergency matter ) but how many others doing this at your work place but not being punished.....!!

There won't really be mxuh to record thh as I an just going to agree with what they have to say. I was on my phone so there's no point really making excuses for myself. I knew better than to be on it.

Hopefully it will just be a quick telling off. I'm just embarrassed of getting told off so didn't want to show my face ahhaha

No, of course not! It's an important meeting with possibly serious outcomes - they will naturally need to see your face, and you would need to see theirs.

Being obstructive isn't going to help your case.
There won't really be mxuh to record thh as I an just going to agree with what they have to say. I was on my phone so there's no point really making excuses for myself. I knew better than to be on it.

Hopefully it will just be a quick telling off. I'm just embarrassed of getting told off so didn't want to show my face ahhaha

That's your decision to be truthful as they will hopefully just give you a written warning and be told not to do it again

I think it's still best to have camera on as its better for you to face them and put your peace over and discuss anything you want to.

They will want the camera on.
If you were genuinely on your phone when you shouldn't have been, then yes you were in the wrong. But admitting your error and assuring them that it was a one off mistake may help your case.
If others have done this as well, then it may be worth pointing this out. Not to get anyone in trouble. But if others have been doing it as well this may help your case. You shouldn't be the only one getting told off for it.
If it was me I'd be looking to be as helpful and engaging a possible rather than obstructive, assuming I wanted to be seen as serious about keeping my job.

Depending where you work it's entirely possible to be sacked for phone use (using a camera device in a sensitive area is a big one)

Phone use tends to be seen as timewasting or misconduct, but you don't often get suspended from work for timewasting, so that implies there is a bigger issue.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending