The Student Room Group

somethings wrong but idk

somethings wrong with me mentally, but idk what it is. I’m scared to go to my GP because what if they don’t take me serious?

I feel like this issue comes and goes and it’s frustrating. Idk how to word my thoughts and i just feel heavy a lot. But then at the same time i keep thinking “maybe i’m faking it, maybe this is normal, maybe i’m making excuses for myself”

idk what to do. Like i don’t think it’s depression but maybe it is??? Idk man there’s like one week where i’m happy with life and then the rest of the weeks is just me being pessimistic and just negative and so many other negative things.
hey i think u should speak to ur gp urgently
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
hey i think u should speak to ur gp urgently

do you think it’s an urgent issue? i feel like since it goes and comes it’s not important. I know that’s wrong to think but i feel like my issue might be invalidated or something ugh idk man
Want to say I completely relate to your situation of "well it's fine sometimes so i'm faking it." Thing is, even if you're not feeling this down/heavy feeling all the time, if you're feeling it frequently/significantly enough that it's affecting your life in these periods then go to the GP. I put it off for so long and everything just got a lot, lot worse.
Worst case the GP says go away, but that doesn't necessarily mean nothing is wrong, it can't hurt you to talk about it. And yeah, I'd say it's fairly urgent in the sense that you shouldn't muck around with your health.
If they do invalidate your issues you can always try a different GP, also recommend making a mood diary, that's what I kept getting told. It can help you see if there are any pattersn or anything and work out how long things are lasting for. Just because it's cyclical it does NOT mean it's not important.
make an appointment and keep a journal of how you’re feeling and why to see if there’s a pattern.
don’t wait until it’s breaking point <3
Reply 5
thank you all for the advice and comments in general🤍. I ended up making a GP appointment, and i told them how i matched a lot of the symptoms to bipolar. Long story short I was told that people with bipolar aren’t aware of their actions much and what i’m feeling is normal for teenagers i guess (the GP was pretty nice about it). I guess i’ll just have to find my own way since there’s no way i’m speaking to my school or my family about it. Guess it gets worse before it gets better (hopefully anyways)
Reply 6
thank you all for the advice and comments in general🤍. I ended up making a GP appointment, and i told them how i matched a lot of the symptoms to bipolar. Long story short I was told that people with bipolar aren’t aware of their actions much and what i’m feeling is normal for teenagers i guess (the GP was pretty nice about it). I guess i’ll just have to find my own way since there’s no way i’m speaking to my school or my family about it. Guess it gets worse before it gets better (hopefully anyways)

your doctor is insane. people with bipolar 'aren't aware of their actions much?' that's utter bull. i don't think your symptoms suggest your bipolar.
but your doctor sounds pretty dismissive. maybe try talking to your school counselor. or a different doctor
Reply 7
Original post by Ciel.
your doctor is insane. people with bipolar 'aren't aware of their actions much?' that's utter bull. i don't think your symptoms suggest your bipolar.
but your doctor sounds pretty dismissive. maybe try talking to your school counselor. or a different doctor

oh, i didn’t even realize that. Man idk, can’t lie i feel embarrassed and I don’t wanna go back to the GP, like this is my second time bringing it up and it was to a different doctor. Apparently the school counsellor is sh*t as well according to my friends who do go to them. Sad because i’m the biggest advocate for others getting mental health help and I can’t even do it myself lol. Oh well, ill just wait till i’m 18 so then i perhaps could go to a private therapist
Reply 8
oh, i didn’t even realize that. Man idk, can’t lie i feel embarrassed and I don’t wanna go back to the GP, like this is my second time bringing it up and it was to a different doctor. Apparently the school counsellor is sh*t as well accor
ding to my friends who do go to them. Sad because i’m the biggest advocate for others getting mental health help and I can’t even do it myself lol. Oh well, ill just wait till i’m 18 so then i perhaps could go to a private therapist

gp doctors can be pretty useless when it comes to mental health
once you're 18 you can refer yourself if you still feel like you could benefit from therapy https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-psychological-therapies-service/
Reply 9
Original post by Ciel.
gp doctors can be pretty useless when it comes to mental health
once you're 18 you can refer yourself if you still feel like you could benefit from therapy https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-psychological-therapies-service/

thank you, much appreciated! I’ve seen that link so many times i’ve basically got it saved in my head lmao

When I first went to the GP about mental health problems, he told me I just had "teenage hormones". This put me off getting help for a long time. Don't let your doctor's dismissive attitude prevent you getting help. If there's something wrong and you need help then keep trying - I know it feels like he fobbed you off and nothing is wrong but you should keep pushing.
Please speak to your GP - They will take you seriously, you need to do this for your health and for the baby.
Then you can decide what to do next...
somethings wrong with me mentally, but idk what it is. I’m scared to go to my GP because what if they don’t take me serious?

I feel like this issue comes and goes and it’s frustrating. Idk how to word my thoughts and i just feel heavy a lot. But then at the same time i keep thinking “maybe i’m faking it, maybe this is normal, maybe i’m making excuses for myself”

idk what to do. Like i don’t think it’s depression but maybe it is??? Idk man there’s like one week where i’m happy with life and then the rest of the weeks is just me being pessimistic and just negative and so many other negative things.
Please speak to your GP - They will take you seriously, you need to do this for your health and for the baby.
Then you can decide what to do next...

baby? what baby? i’m not pregnant lol
baby? what baby? i’m not pregnant lol

OOPS
so sorry there was another post of some who got pregnant and I thought it was from her.
Please ignore that.
But either excluding that pregnant part.
Going to the GP (is it about mental health) - they will take you seriously - so don't worry.

Not disregarding what you GP has said about hormones and that they could be what's causing the issues for you, but the bit about people with bipolar not being aware of their actions much is definitely not true because people with bipolar absolutely can have insight, especially when they have had it for a while and learn to recognise the signs that things are slipping. If you feel like you are still struggling with stuff and your GP hasn't offered you any help (and you don't need to have a formal diagnosis to have struggles with your mental health), you could maybe try speaking to your school counsellor? If you don't feel comfortable with that idea, Childline may be a good way to get stuff off your chest and to get some support anonymously. Best of luck with everything, and hope that you are doing OK.
Original post by black tea
Not disregarding what you GP has said about hormones and that they could be what's causing the issues for you, but the bit about people with bipolar not being aware of their actions much is definitely not true because people with bipolar absolutely can have insight, especially when they have had it for a while and learn to recognise the signs that things are slipping. If you feel like you are still struggling with stuff and your GP hasn't offered you any help (and you don't need to have a formal diagnosis to have struggles with your mental health), you could maybe try speaking to your school counsellor? If you don't feel comfortable with that idea, Childline may be a good way to get stuff off your chest and to get some support anonymously. Best of luck with everything, and hope that you are doing OK.

thank you!! Yeah the whole GP situation is a bit annoying since I didn’t get the help I thought I would or next steps and sort of was told to go to my school counsellor. Only reason I went to my GP was to prevent getting help from my school, I just don’t want to be seen/treated differently. Lol I remember calling samitarians and the line was ringing for a good half an hour before i decided to turn it off, not a good experience. But i’m glad I have places i can turn to for support.
Thank you
OOPS
so sorry there was another post of some who got pregnant and I thought it was from her.
Please ignore that.
But either excluding that pregnant part.
Going to the GP (is it about mental health) - they will take you seriously - so don't worry.

ah i see haha
they didn’t sadly lol, kinda just shut down the idea of me being bipolar and said it’s common to go through what i’m going through at this age, and i should try speak to those around me and a school counsellor. They said “if it persists and is a problem again please book another appointment” but I don’t think I will lol, I booked an appointment in the first place BECAUSE it was a problem and I didn’t want to speak to those around me bc i don’t want to be perceived differently, and the dynamic of my relationships means i will be treated differently.
sorry for my dump just had to get it out there. I now realise how hard it is to get help. When i was younger i said “as soon as i’m nearly 18 i’m gonna seek help and get a therapist” but literally realised how humiliating it is when you get turned down. Everyone should be entitled to a therapist depressed or not but guess the NHS doesn’t have enough money for that
ah i see haha
they didn’t sadly lol, kinda just shut down the idea of me being bipolar and said it’s common to go through what i’m going through at this age, and i should try speak to those around me and a school counsellor. They said “if it persists and is a problem again please book another appointment” but I don’t think I will lol, I booked an appointment in the first place BECAUSE it was a problem and I didn’t want to speak to those around me bc i don’t want to be perceived differently, and the dynamic of my relationships means i will be treated differently.
sorry for my dump just had to get it out there. I now realise how hard it is to get help. When i was younger i said “as soon as i’m nearly 18 i’m gonna seek help and get a therapist” but literally realised how humiliating it is when you get turned down. Everyone should be entitled to a therapist depressed or not but guess the NHS doesn’t have enough money for that

Im 15 right now and my mental health is very unstable.
I don't think I would be able to go to GP or any counselling and the main reason is you can't help if you haven't experienced it.
Im 15 right now and my mental health is very unstable.
I don't think I would be able to go to GP or any counselling and the main reason is you can't help if you haven't experienced it.

i’m about to say something hypocritical since I don’t even take my own advice half the time

Although that is true, speaking about the issue to the right person does make you feel better, like you don’t have to carry that burden alone. Reaching out to a medical professional might mean you might have some uncomfortable situations, but most of the time you do get help from people who are able to recognise what you’re going through and how to deal with it. They might not have experienced it, but they’ve spoken to people who have and so have learnt methods of dealing with it
even if you feel as though you have no one to speak to, having these forums and the ability to go anonymous really helps. Some people go an extra mile and do whatever they can to help you. Knowing you’re not alone in things make it a tad bit better

Quick Reply

Latest