The Student Room Group

is it too late?

i’m in my final year of a levels. the big year 13. i spent the entirety of year 12 goofing off and doing no work except for coursework & essays.

i have done absolutely no revision material for any of my a levels for year 12 apart from one topic. i have 7 months and around 20 days until my exams and i want at least AAA*.

is it too late? i am considering buying revision material from other people also 😓
(edited 2 years ago)
You possibly could get AAA* but honestly seems unlikely. Depends what subjects you do and how much attention they require.

To help, use your specification and base flashcards and revision methods on these.
I mean firstly, you need to understand the content truly so it becomes easier to remember and apply. So ask your teacher for help, use youtube and books. You then need to remember everything, so using quick flashcards throughout the time you have will help (as you have little time, either just write ones with basic info on or buy them). Quizlet is a good flashcard source and has premade stacks as well. I have Bio, chem and phys ones which other peoplr can see i think? Blurting is also really good way of seeing what you know: write as much of a specific topic down from memory with little prompts so it will highlight what you don't know. Practice is the final stage which also shows your better and weaker areas. Practise using onlinr past papers or any textbook questions you have
Reply 2
Original post by l_thomas
You possibly could get AAA* but honestly seems unlikely. Depends what subjects you do and how much attention they require.

To help, use your specification and base flashcards and revision methods on these.
I mean firstly, you need to understand the content truly so it becomes easier to remember and apply. So ask your teacher for help, use youtube and books. You then need to remember everything, so using quick flashcards throughout the time you have will help (as you have little time, either just write ones with basic info on or buy them). Quizlet is a good flashcard source and has premade stacks as well. I have Bio, chem and phys ones which other peoplr can see i think? Blurting is also really good way of seeing what you know: write as much of a specific topic down from memory with little prompts so it will highlight what you don't know. Practice is the final stage which also shows your better and weaker areas. Practise using onlinr past papers or any textbook questions you have

i take english lit, law & psychology.

but thank you, you have been a huge help. i’ll probably have to retake but i’m hoping not to lol, it’s not the end of the world if i do for me but some people won’t be happy.

hoping it isn’t too late! i think i’ll buy some notes off of other people at this point. thanks again :smile:
Original post by ellheehee
i’m in my final year of a levels. the big year 13. i spent the entirety of year 12 goofing off and doing no work except for coursework & essays.

i have done absolutely no revision material for any of my a levels for year 12 apart from one topic. i have 7 months and around 20 days until my exams and i want at least AAA*.

is it too late? i am considering buying revision material from other people also 😓

No its not too late. Just plan it out and stick to it. 7 months is nothing. I started revising for my ALs with 70 days and I got it all done on time. Of course I do assume that you have been paying attention in class to some extent and that you are not completely clueless.
i take english lit, law & psychology.

For essay/writing based subjects, I found that, of course GCSE aren’t the same as A level but, writing a lot really helps. I would only do flashcards if you really have to, I do know that subject revision techniques varies. So I don’t think ‘blurting’ would help you as such.
Reply 5

Nope, not too late.
You can definitely change your grades around with time and committment, don't make excuses this year :smile:
- Start making your notes from previous topics in your free time, but also go over what you do in lessons, so you don't fall behind
I've heard someone talk about a 8/8/8 method, which I think you might find useful. Dedicate 8 hours each for sleeping, working, and free-time each day, and see how that works out (you can adapt it to suit your needs) I haven't tried it but if I was desperate for good grades, I think I would.
Any questions about English Lit, ask me, cus that's the subject we have in common. Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Abilash K
No its not too late. Just plan it out and stick to it. 7 months is nothing. I started revising for my ALs with 70 days and I got it all done on time. Of course I do assume that you have been paying attention in class to some extent and that you are not completely clueless.

yep! i do pay attention so don’t worry about that haha, and i make coherent enough notes. it’s just motivation/starting revision/keeping up with it etc. but thank you, that reassured me a lot!
Reply 7
Original post by CaptainDuckie
For essay/writing based subjects, I found that, of course GCSE aren’t the same as A level but, writing a lot really helps. I would only do flashcards if you really have to, I do know that subject revision techniques varies. So I don’t think ‘blurting’ would help you as such.

thank you for the advice! i’m lucky in the sense that for english lit i just have to memorise terms & quotations :smile: it’s just law & psych where there is a lot to remember.
Reply 8
Original post by AJ.15
Nope, not too late.
You can definitely change your grades around with time and committment, don't make excuses this year :smile:
- Start making your notes from previous topics in your free time, but also go over what you do in lessons, so you don't fall behind
I've heard someone talk about a 8/8/8 method, which I think you might find useful. Dedicate 8 hours each for sleeping, working, and free-time each day, and see how that works out (you can adapt it to suit your needs) I haven't tried it but if I was desperate for good grades, I think I would.
Any questions about English Lit, ask me, cus that's the subject we have in common. Good luck :smile:

thank you, this was so lovely of you :smile: i am intending to start revision using quizlet flashcards and then applying that to exams/past papers, so i hope that works!
i also intend to do revision alongside condensing notes each time a topic finishes this year, i’ll actually stay on top of things this time!
i’d do the 8/8/8 method but i have work most days so no chance sadly :frown: but one question for english lit; what stuff did you revise mostly?
Reply 9
thank you, this was so lovely of you :smile: i am intending to start revision using quizlet flashcards and then applying that to exams/past papers, so i hope that works!
i also intend to do revision alongside condensing notes each time a topic finishes this year, i’ll actually stay on top of things this time!
i’d do the 8/8/8 method but i have work most days so no chance sadly :frown: but one question for english lit; what stuff did you revise mostly?

Look over the specification - most of it is context (so important!!)
make notes on context - the time in which the novel was written, how it was received, the authors, etc.
watch any film productions and make notes (I forgot what AO this is but it counts as interpretations)
Quotes as well
If I remember anything else I'll add it on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending