The Student Room Group

University of Manchester A106 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi I was wondering if it would be safe applying to Manchester as I would go through the holistic route, UCAT: 2920, B3 and predicted only AAA with 99888888766 at GCSE with a 6 in maths and eng lang. Would my cognitive score outweigh my SJT band?
Original post by HeyStink23
Hi I was wondering if it would be safe applying to Manchester as I would go through the holistic route, UCAT: 2920, B3 and predicted only AAA with 99888888766 at GCSE with a 6 in maths and eng lang. Would my cognitive score outweigh my SJT band?

I also have a WP flag due to my postcode not sure how much this would help

i got 2800 b3, are u sure that we'd go through holistic route just based on band? ik they prefer b1 and b2 but it seemed like wayyy more ppl got b3 this year (according to interim results) so i'm hoping maybe they'd show some leniency
Original post by shanmancc
i got 2800 b3, are u sure that we'd go through holistic route just based on band? ik they prefer b1 and b2 but it seemed like wayyy more ppl got b3 this year (according to interim results) so i'm hoping maybe they'd show some leniency

Well they said (https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/study/medicine/apply/ucat/) :
"If you meet the UCAT threshold we apply, and you achieve Band 1 or 2 in the Situational Judgement Test (SJT), you will likely be invited to interview as long as you meet our minimum academic requirements (for example, GCSE and predicted grades).

There are, however, some operational constraints on the number of interviews available in any given year. Where the number of highly scoring candidates exceeds the number of interview slots available, we will rank candidates according to UCAT total score and SJT band."

So I assumed we'd have to go through the holistic route
Reply 44
Hi
Do you know what was the UCAT threshold for Manchester to invite for the interview last year.

Thanks
Reply 45
Hi, I'm a gap year student- is it worth applying with:

GCSES: 99 88 7777 66
A Level: AAA
UCAT: 2810 B2

I guess the only thing I'm worried about is my GCSEs? Only as it didn't meet the cut for two of my unis last year.
thanks in advance <3
Reply 46
Original post by Z317
Hi, I'm a gap year student- is it worth applying with:

GCSES: 99 88 7777 66
A Level: AAA
UCAT: 2810 B2

I guess the only thing I'm worried about is my GCSEs? Only as it didn't meet the cut for two of my unis last year.
thanks in advance <3

Manchester only use GCSEs for minimum requirements, via their UCAT route, adn you have their 7 As. I suspect their UCAT cut off to go up quite a bit, but hopfully not to the level of your score! They have always required lower cut offs than Newcastle, Glasgow, Bristol, etc, but I think a lot of people with 2780-2850 will be put off applying to them this year, given the high cut offs last year, and will probably look to Sheffield, Manchester, Southampton, SGUL, Liverpool etc as the next options, so who knows where things might get pushed to?
I know Manchester prioritises Band 1 and 2 over 3 so is there any point of applying with Band 3 and a score of 2670? Or is it too risky
Original post by anon123456789!
I know Manchester prioritises Band 1 and 2 over 3 so is there any point of applying with Band 3 and a score of 2670? Or is it too risky

does anyone know if this would be wise or how the holistic route works @GANFYD
does anyone know if this would be wise or how the holistic route works @GANFYD

Reading through last year's Manchester thread to search for those who made it the holistic route, it does seem that people with scores below the cut off were invited, and there were a range of scores in terms of closeness to the cut off, as well as some with band 3 but otherwise high scores invited and others in that position not. Anyone with experience or knowledge who could chime in here it would be great.
Reply 50
Is it true that all of Manchester’s lectures for medicine will be permanently online even for next years students?
Attention please, past applicants who were offered interviews at Manchester via the holistic route. If you are reading, it would be wonderfully helpful if you could please let us know the year you interviewed, your UCAT score, your SJ band, any extras you had such as A*s (how many), GCSEs above the requirement (i.e, how many A*s in addition to As), and EPQs (grade please) and/or extra A level (plus grade).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 52
Hi,
I would like to ask about the work experience form. Do they use it in the interview selection process?

Thanks
Reply 53
Hi
I just got 2780 B2. A level : A*A*A . GCSES: 7 eng lang, 8: Eng lit, physics, maths, drama 9: french, geography, economics, biology, chemistry, r.e. I also heard they don't look at personal statement , is this true. As I feel I have a strong ps and would rather it be considerded.
Am I likely to get an interview?
Thank you for your help. :smile:
Hi guys,
I feel like Manchester is a risky option?

GCSE's 9999997776 (6 in english language)
UCAT score 2710 B2
a level predictions- A*A*A*

Thanks for reading my post
Original post by Funnyjam3728
Hi guys,
I feel like Manchester is a risky option?

GCSE's 9999997776 (6 in english language)
UCAT score 2710 B2
a level predictions- A*A*A*

Thanks for reading my post

If you look at last years feed there are people with lower scores who got interviews so it doesn't seem to risky.
Would it be risky to apply here with 2680 B2, achieved 1st class degree in Anatomy and Human Biology at KCL?
Original post by becausethenight
You are exactly on the past cutoff for UCAT-based interviews. It is very likely to increase this year as they have removed their guarantee of interview if >7th decile, so you are likely to go into the holistic route and depends if you want to risk it.

what do you mean they have removed the guarantee interview if >7th decile? so how are they going to assess if someone goes through the holistic assessment or not? how are they going to impose a cut-off without the 7th decile margin that they previously used?
Original post by sofia333
what do you mean they have removed the guarantee interview if >7th decile? so how are they going to assess if someone goes through the holistic assessment or not? how are they going to impose a cut-off without the 7th decile margin that they previously used?

They provide some information about holistic assessment in the FAQs on their website; that is all anybody can be certain of. I think in their helpful answer @becausethenight is explaining that in previous years Manchester said on their website that they would give interviews to the top third of band 1 and 2 UCAT scores who met their other criteria. This year they will determine their UCAT cut off depending on the cohort of applications, and therefore are unable to promise an interview cut off in advance.
Hi would anyone be able to help as to if I'd be likely to get an interview?
GCSES: 7 A*s 2As
UCAT: 2660 Band 2
A levels predicted A* English A biology A chemistry
AS level in geography grade A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending