The Student Room Group

suvats make me suffer

I feel like literally such an idiot every mechanics lesson we have because I've just started in further maths AS and i literally am so terrible at SUVAT questions. I did them in GCSE physics and I was decent, I actually used to get them right back then but even though the content has really not changed at all from then, I struggle SO HARD. I have no idea what to do and I really feel like a waste of space in that class because everyone else around me always gets them right. I've been spending the past two days doing them in all of my free lessons and after school to no avail.
I'd like to kid myself and say it's not a method or understanding issue but at this point there's no way that it can just be me making addition or multiplication errors. I just don't understand them. They seem to just pull rules out of nowhere and it's frustrating because I know exactly what to do with the majority of the questions but always get the wrong overall answer.
Please say some others feel the same way.
Reply 1
Make sure you've got the basics. For each problem, write down s = ..., u = ..., etc. See which ones you can fill in. Make a note of which quantity you need to know. Find the equation that connects them - there should be three things you do know and one more you want. It might be easier to find the right equation by noting the one quantity that you don't know and aren't interested in. Remember that the equations are in your formula book (probably, check your board's booklet).

Of course there will be questions that need more detail than this, and may have motion with various different stages, but from what you are saying you need some confidence building with the basics first.

Other than that, feel free to share individual questions and your working here so that we can give more specific help. It may turn out to be something simple.
Reply 2
Original post by Pangol
Make sure you've got the basics. For each problem, write down s = ..., u = ..., etc. See which ones you can fill in. Make a note of which quantity you need to know. Find the equation that connects them - there should be three things you do know and one more you want. It might be easier to find the right equation by noting the one quantity that you don't know and aren't interested in. Remember that the equations are in your formula book (probably, check your board's booklet).

Of course there will be questions that need more detail than this, and may have motion with various different stages, but from what you are saying you need some confidence building with the basics first.

Other than that, feel free to share individual questions and your working here so that we can give more specific help. It may turn out to be something simple.

this is precisely why i feel so stupid - i know how to approach the questions (or at least i think i do) and my general method goes approximately like this:
1) pick out the key values and label them under the SUVAT notation
2) find an equation that involves the known values and a value i need to find, rearrange if necessary
3) plug numbers in
ofc for more complex ones I change it up but sometimes questions just seem to pull things out of their ass. it's like all the people in my class are in on this secret rule that changes completely everything and I don't know about it because id say a solid 60% of the time I am getting confused at how my final answers are wrong when my method is completely valid. ofc sometimes I mess up but I just feel so lost. It doesn't help that they're really boring either.
do you have an example that you're stuck on that someone could talk you through?
Original post by felacixxi
I feel like literally such an idiot every mechanics lesson we have because I've just started in further maths AS and i literally am so terrible at SUVAT questions. I did them in GCSE physics and I was decent, I actually used to get them right back then but even though the content has really not changed at all from then, I struggle SO HARD. I have no idea what to do and I really feel like a waste of space in that class because everyone else around me always gets them right. I've been spending the past two days doing them in all of my free lessons and after school to no avail.
I'd like to kid myself and say it's not a method or understanding issue but at this point there's no way that it can just be me making addition or multiplication errors. I just don't understand them. They seem to just pull rules out of nowhere and it's frustrating because I know exactly what to do with the majority of the questions but always get the wrong overall answer.
Please say some others feel the same way.

SUVAT isn't too hard to understand. Find a SUVAT question and try to solve it, where u get stuck or confused ask a teacher or find the answer and compare, see where ur going wrong.
It's important to get help as soon as u need it, u don't wanna regret not asking for help
Reply 5
this is precisely why i feel so stupid - i know how to approach the questions (or at least i think i do) and my general method goes approximately like this:
1) pick out the key values and label them under the SUVAT notation
2) find an equation that involves the known values and a value i need to find, rearrange if necessary
3) plug numbers in
ofc for more complex ones I change it up but sometimes questions just seem to pull things out of their ass. it's like all the people in my class are in on this secret rule that changes completely everything and I don't know about it because id say a solid 60% of the time I am getting confused at how my final answers are wrong when my method is completely valid. ofc sometimes I mess up but I just feel so lost. It doesn't help that they're really boring either.

Understood and you have my sympathies. I really would suggest that you post an example or two so that we can be more helpful. Sure, you may think you're being slow or missing something obvious, but that's what user names are for, no one is going to know who you are in real life, better to risk looking a bit silly now and come out the other side being more able to do this sort of question!

And I know what you mean about them not being the most exciting kind of question. I used to say to my physics students that it's hard to remember about all of the interesting stuff that is to come when you're answering a question about dropping a stone down a well. But it's important to master the basics first, and in your case, you're going to get questions like this on an exam, so you don't have much choice really.
Reply 6
yall....
something clicked in my head and suddenly i can do them. sorry for wasting time LMAOO all i needed to do was just keep doing them until I ironed out the mistakes. I ended up getting 90% in my class test :confused: SOMEHOW. thank u all v much though
Reply 7
yall....
something clicked in my head and suddenly i can do them. sorry for wasting time LMAOO all i needed to do was just keep doing them until I ironed out the mistakes. I ended up getting 90% in my class test :confused: SOMEHOW. thank u all v much though

Hahaha it's better to have got them right in the end :biggrin:
Just keep practicing and gl on them, I hate further maths LOL
So happy I'm doing normal maths 🤣
well done on the test though! I need to do the same for the double maths exam I have next monday, wish me luck 😭😭
Reply 8
Original post by Slx.24
Hahaha it's better to have got them right in the end :biggrin:
Just keep practicing and gl on them, I hate further maths LOL
So happy I'm doing normal maths 🤣
well done on the test though! I need to do the same for the double maths exam I have next monday, wish me luck 😭😭

hahahahah further is really good half the time actually. I like moving fast but it gets a little frustrating at times because you're expected to do so well no matter what and that's not always the case lmao. gl with your exam!! SMASH IT!! :tongue:
Reply 9
hahahahah further is really good half the time actually. I like moving fast but it gets a little frustrating at times because you're expected to do so well no matter what and that's not always the case lmao. gl with your exam!! SMASH IT!! :tongue:

I do believe imaginary numbers would do my head in 😂😂
Yeah the expectations are highh esp if you have asian parents 😭(not discrediting those that aren't asian your parents might be as....encouraging)
Thankssss I'll defo need it

Quick Reply

Latest