The Student Room Group

Low UCAS points, a lot of work experience

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes during the exam period of my A-Levels which effected my health a lot and spent a lot of time ill so I only managed to get 56 UCAS points total.

I spent time working with Camp America and went into a career in finance. I’ve learnt a lot of real skills, but my goal was to join University (especially UWE or Plymouth) and study computing or software engineering. I’ve published my own video game onto Steam, and learnt a lot about computers for years since I was 12.

Is there a remote chance I would get accepted into any uni in a computing course with a foundation year? :smile:
That is an extenuating circumstance. You could probably resit your A-levels and get more UCAS points once your conditions improve.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by hungrysalamander
That is an extenuating circumstance. You could probably resit your A-levels and get more UCAS points once your conditions improve.

I would have done, but because of COVID I’m now 21 and I feel as if it’s too late… would you feel as if they could consider me if I produce an excellent PS?
Original post by canofbeans
I would have done, but because of COVID I’m now 21 and I feel as if it’s too late… would you feel as if they could consider me if I produce an excellent PS?

I'm not too sure. Contact the universities and let them know about your situation and they could give you more information on your next steps.
Foundation years are often a bit more flexible so long as you meet Maths & English requirements. The only way to find out is to check directly.
Reply 5
Original post by hungrysalamander
I'm not too sure. Contact the universities and let them know about your situation and they could give you more information on your next steps.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Foundation years are often a bit more flexible so long as you meet Maths & English requirements. The only way to find out is to check directly.

I meet the requirements for English and Math it’s just the UCAS points which terrifies me lol. I’m going to a UWE open day so maybe I could discuss it then, thank you :smile:
if you're a mature student i.e. over 21 at the start of the course, unis will often be more relaxed about grades if you've gained relevant experience.

they often put a requirement in about successfully achieving something in education in the last few years... but they don't tend to relax the requirement for maths and english gcse (or equivalent) so you'll probably need to already have C/4 in those.

best path is to enquire with the unis you're interested in
Reply 8
I would email admissions of the universities you would like to go to. That's what I did and got some advice and what steps/courses to take to enable me to get onto the course.
As the post above mentions, uni's are a bit more relaxed about Ucas points/grades when it comes to mature students and it helps that you have gained some experience. You could also consider doing an access course which is a year long and equates to 3 A levels.
Another option is to apply through clearing and as they need to fill up spaces on the course and grades are relaxed a lot even on the actual degree itself.
Reply 9
Best advice in these situations is always contact the individual universities due to them all having different requirements. I recently was planning on applying to uni after doing an access course maybe 8 year ago? thinking I'd have to redo it (and paying another fortune out for the same course!) turns out 95% of them are happy with my CPD I do at work! Ask the question!
Reply 10
Original post by Tw1x
Best advice in these situations is always contact the individual universities due to them all having different requirements. I recently was planning on applying to uni after doing an access course maybe 8 year ago? thinking I'd have to redo it (and paying another fortune out for the same course!) turns out 95% of them are happy with my CPD I do at work! Ask the question!

I've sent an E-Mail to UWE explaining my circumstances and my work experience after school etc, just waiting for a reply! Thanks for the feedback :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by canofbeans
I've sent an E-Mail to UWE explaining my circumstances and my work experience after school etc, just waiting for a reply! Thanks for the feedback :smile:

Let us know, good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending