The Student Room Group

Gas Prices

So the price cap will rise in April and then in October? Do the government care about the population? They cut the amount of universal credit, inflation and brexit are making food prices rise.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Everything's going to get more expensive because of the debt taken on to get us through Covid without the economy fully going. Whether all that money was necessary or wisely spent is up for debate, but it will need to be paid for.
The Government has never cared about the vast majority of the population, they exist to make the rich richer.

Poverty has increased over the last 10 years and the Tories have ignored it.
Reply 3
Original post by DiddyDec
Poverty has increased over the last 10 years and the Tories have ignored it.

I mean, I know you won't care to listen, but it hasn't increased in any statistically significant way by the main accepted measures.

Inequality in Britain has been pretty flat since about 1990. If anything, boring consistency is the real takeaway from these stats.

I think we're at a stage where we're presenting fairly normal market fluctuations as disastrous. Gas prices had been at a low, they're gone up a bit - not to any sort of unheard of level. They might go up more and that could be significant, but it's not some sort of disaster.

Ditto inflation. Again, at low levels, gone up a bit. This bump probably isn't particularly positive in terms of the wider economy - but some level of inflation is certainly part of a normal, well-functioning economy - you can't have one without the other.
Reply 4
What price cap? Gas being a traded commodity has a market price, i wasnt aware the government subsidises it, as opposed to tax the crap out of it..
As to the next question, no, no government cares about anyone other than their base and only during election season.
Reply 5
Original post by ThomH97
Everything's going to get more expensive because of the debt taken on to get us through Covid without the economy fully going. Whether all that money was necessary or wisely spent is up for debate, but it will need to be paid for.

Who's debt, and how is it connected to the price of gas...?
Reply 6
Original post by Napp
What price cap? Gas being a traded commodity has a market price, i wasnt aware the government subsidises it, as opposed to tax the crap out of it..
As to the next question, no, no government cares about anyone other than their base and only during election season.

The price cap for selling to retail consumers.

The government doesn't subsidise it, which is why a bunch of energy selling Middle people are going bust as they can only sell at a loss.
Reply 7
Original post by Quady
The price cap for selling to retail consumers.

The government doesn't subsidise it, which is why a bunch of energy selling Middle people are going bust as they can only sell at a loss.

Ah gotcha. Do you have a link for some background to this by any chance?
Reply 8
Original post by Napp
Ah gotcha. Do you have a link for some background to this by any chance?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/16218447/what-is-the-energy-price-cap/amp/
I presume that the gas crisis will be over by April and prices will fall back down.
Reply 10
The government's price cap is part of the problem. They are trying to regulate something they don't really have control over. What they should have done is force energy companies to make cheaper tariffs available to the poorer in society or implement a plan to put everyone online meaning the poorest in society would have access to the cheapest online tariffs and price comparison sites.
Original post by ThomH97

Nah - debt is the least of our worries right now. As a proportion of spending debt repayments have stayed largely the same over the last several years simply because interest rates keep falling. It is only if inflation starts walloping us and interest rates rise that we end up in trouble.
The population is getting exactly what it voted for, I don't see the problem...
Reply 12
Original post by hotpud
The government's price cap is part of the problem. They are trying to regulate something they don't really have control over.

If the government control something then they don't need to regulate it.
Reply 13
afaik gas prices are regulated by private companies who sell gas and not the government. happy to be corrected tho.
Reply 14
Original post by Joleee
afaik gas prices are regulated by private companies who sell gas and not the government. happy to be corrected tho.

Post #9
Reply 15
Original post by Quady
If the government control something then they don't need to regulate it.

I think you are being pedantic. If gas costs £2 a unit but the government say you can't charge more than £1 a unit, it stands to reason the whole system is going to collapse as we are currently seeing.
Reply 16
Original post by hotpud
I think you are being pedantic. If gas costs £2 a unit but the government say you can't charge more than £1 a unit, it stands to reason the whole system is going to collapse as we are currently seeing.

Then private business will collapse and be nationalised unless they can profit from their customers using the energy as a loss leader.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Quady
Then private business will collapse and be nationalised unless they can profit from their customers using the energy as a loss leader.

Exactly. There has to be profit in it somewhere so the idea of being regulated to make a loss is farcical.
Reply 18
Original post by hotpud
Exactly. There has to be profit in it somewhere so the idea of being regulated to make a loss is farcical.

Why? It's a social good.

The railways are the same.

The airline industry is the same.

Gambling products have been regulated into unprofitability.
Reply 19
Original post by Quady
Post #9

ic. i thought we were talking about petrol or diesel or whatever you call it in the UK :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending