The Student Room Group

MBA vs MSc !! URGENT

I am confused between mba and msc management. I am a recent graduate and an international student. I don’t know which one to choose as my main future priority is to get a skilled worker visa which requires to earn Atleast £25k a year.
I have no work experience but I am planning to work part time during my masters. I want to know whether MBA would make me in a position to earn a salary that meets the min salary threshold of the skilled worker route
Reply 1
I am confused between mba and msc management. I am a recent graduate and an international student. I don’t know which one to choose as my main future priority is to get a skilled worker visa which requires to earn Atleast £25k a year.
I have no work experience but I am planning to work part time during my masters. I want to know whether MBA would make me in a position to earn a salary that meets the min salary threshold of the skilled worker route
Original post by somunkhan

As a recent graduate an MBA is never the answer, you’d be throwing your money away.
MBA’s are usually for folks who have a fair bit of work experience. The course pages should make it pretty clear what the requirements are and where graduates end up.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
As a recent graduate an MBA is never the answer, you’d be throwing your money away.

Can you please explain why?
Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
MBA’s are usually for folks who have a fair bit of work experience. The course pages should make it pretty clear what the requirements are and where graduates end up.

They have just asked for bachelors degree
They have just asked for bachelors degree

Probably worth dropping them an email to find out who the target audience is for each course then.
Can you please explain why?
Thanks

Because a credible MBA is a degree designed for career professionals to bring their sector specific knowledge to the programme and enhance the taught elements by giving first hand experience. It's also for established professionals to network and compare and contrast sectors.

If an MBA course considers you with less than 3 years professional experience then it isn't a credible programme and it is just after the money from gullible overseas students. In most cases, decent MBA courses have 5-10 year professionals on them.
If an MBA course considers you with less than 3 years professional experience then it isn't a credible programme and it is just after the money from gullible overseas students. In most cases, decent MBA courses have 5-10 year professionals on them.

Agree completely.
Reply 9
Because a credible MBA is a degree designed for career professionals to bring their sector specific knowledge to the programme and enhance the taught elements by giving first hand experience. It's also for established professionals to network and compare and contrast sectors.

Thanks for the thorough insight
So MSc management should be a great position to start career in business related roles
Thanks for the thorough insight
So MSc management should be a great position to start career in business related roles

Certainly a better option than an MBA. Be careful that you get it at the strongest uni you can though. Business degrees don't have an established syllabus, which means they can have a very simple syllabus and examination conditions, or a very tough syllabus and examination conditions. The former degrees are not very much valued by employers. Go to a university with an established academic reputation.
Reply 11
Certainly a better option than an MBA. Be careful that you get it at the strongest uni you can though. Business degrees don't have an established syllabus, which means they can have a very simple syllabus and examination conditions, or a very tough syllabus and examination conditions. The former degrees are not very much valued by employers. Go to a university with an established academic reputation.

Yes I agree.
I am planning to attend Birmingham city university or glasgow caledonian.

Quick Reply

Latest