The Student Room Group

University of Leeds A100 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by becausethenight
We just don’t know, because they rank it based on who applies not national statistics. As it is a bit above average I would think you would get >2/3 points but there may well be enough people in the 5+ score band for it to not be full marks, as that is still 30-40% of test takers.

However your GCSEs are much more important in scoring.

I calculated that I will only lose 1 point overall before BMAT
So what score of BMAT should get me an interview
Original post by Anon9727
I calculated that I will only lose 1 point overall before BMAT
So what score of BMAT should get me an interview

Think you could only lose max 2 points previously, and may have been even less last year, so would need to be minimum the top two quintiles. There will be a lot of people applying with very high CAG GCSEs this year, too...
Think you could only lose max 2 points previously, and may have been even less last year, so would need to be minimum the top two quintiles. There will be a lot of people applying with very high CAG GCSEs this year, too...

Also I am eligible for access to leeds so will this lower the score I need because I heard they give extra consideration .
Also is there any data on last year's scores requires and statistics because it changed last year to top 8 gcses
Reply 23
Hi! Anyone know where I can find the access to medcine form..I need to fill it in ASAP. Thank you!
Reply 24
Original post by m_bibi
Hi! Anyone know where I can find the access to medcine form..I need to fill it in ASAP. Thank you!

If you mean Access to Leeds, you will struggle......
Is your Google button not working? :tongue:
https://www.leeds.ac.uk/access-to-leeds/doc/atl-apply
Reply 25
Original post by GANFYD
If you mean Access to Leeds, you will struggle......
Is your Google button not working? :tongue:
https://www.leeds.ac.uk/access-to-leeds/doc/atl-apply

Hey thank you! Yeah my bad, I meant access to leeds 😅 I couldn't find it anywhere because their website looks updated from last year. Once again, thanks.
Reply 26
😆 once again, apologies. I am so blind, I missed what it said at the top of the page...it's closed until late September.
Does anyone know how Leeds will do their shortlisting this year? @GANFYD @becausethenight
Original post by sunflower1p
I emailed them about the process and this is what they said
Scoring

On receiving the application the initial shift looks at academic background and BMAT score. We add the marks for GCSE or AS (whichever is the higher of the 2) with the marks for predicted or actual grades at A Level to give a total of 32 points for exams.

GCSE = 9/8/A* = 3, 7/A = 2, 5/6/B = 1

The highest score for GCSEs is 24 points for 8 A*s (including English, Maths, and Double Science or Chemistry and Biology) or 24 points for 3 grade As at AS (including Chemistry or Biology).

The predicted grades (supplied by your school/college) are scored out of 8, with 8 points awarded for AAA. The standard offer for Leeds is AAA at A2 including chemistry or Biology with either Maths or Physics. A fourth AS-level would not be academically scored therefore the presence/lack of a fourth AS would not affect an application.

BMAT scores are ranked at Leeds. The top scoring 20% (only those who applied to Leeds) are given 5 points, with 1 point being given to the bottom 20%.

This score is added to the overall academic score. Applications are ranked again with the top 1000 being called for interview.

There are 8 stations for the MMI interviews with marks awarded for 3 attributes per station. Communication skills are marked on all stations. Points for each attribute range from 1 (poor) to 4 (excellent).

The percentage weightings are as follows for the initial sift of applications:

GCSE or AS 64.9%

A2 21.6%

BMAT 13.5%

When did u email them. This years cycle or the year before
Original post by Hadriojon
Does anyone know how Leeds will do their shortlisting this year? @GANFYD @becausethenigh

@GANFYD and @becausethenight I am guessing you guys have no clue of this years process
@GANFYD and @becausethenight I am guessing you guys have no clue of this years process

You would be right, as it does not seem like they want to tell anyone, and we cannot read minds :biggrin:
In general though with perfect GCSEs it should be an OK bet.
You would be right, as it does not seem like they want to tell anyone, and we cannot read minds :biggrin:
In general though with perfect GCSEs it should be an OK

That’s the problem my gcse are not perfect but my AS grades are AAA so I don’t know where that puts me exactly, since hypothetically I should be considered as full marks for the gcse section just cause of my AS grades. What do u think
Also I am eligible for access to leeds so will this lower the score I need because I heard they give extra consideration .
Also is there any data on last year's scores requires and statistics because it changed last year to top 8 gcses

I am afraid I do not know how A2L works, sorry! @SyedN may know more or you can try contacting them, their website, or looking at freedom of information requests?
That’s the problem my gcse are not perfect but my AS grades are AAA so I don’t know where that puts me exactly, since hypothetically I should be considered as full marks for the gcse section just cause of my AS grades. What do u think

Historically, AAA at AS has meant you get full GCSE points, AFAIK, so unless this has changed that should be the same? You can email them and check, and you would probably still need to meet minimum GCSE requirements. You’ll also still need to sit the BMAT and do decently well if not above average.
I am afraid I do not know how A2L works, sorry! @SyedN may know more or you can try contacting them, their website, or looking at freedom of information requests?

@SyedN
Any ideas?
Hi
Leeds said that in a previous year BMAT scores ranges from 6.35-17.15
What do these numbers mean because I've only understood the scores as separate scores from each paper like 5 eg
So what to combined scores really mean and how to interpret them
Hi
Leeds said that in a previous year BMAT scores ranges from 6.35-17.15
What do these numbers mean because I've only understood the scores as separate scores from each paper like 5 eg
So what to combined scores really mean and how to interpret them

I think they may just have added the scores together, but to know for sure you may need to ask them.
3rd year University of Leeds electrical engineering student here: run.

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT come to the university of Leeds. All courses are over subscribed with under-qualified teaching staff. The university has completely failed to implement recovery measures after their disastrous handling of the pandemic and are still expecting the same results from students after huge cuts to contact hours which we still pay the same amount of tuition for.

The area is very unsafe to live in and has a plague of parasitic landlords, with thousands of students living in conditions akin to poverty despite being forced to spend ridiculous sums of money for what they are given.

Society funding has been cut so harshly, whilst staff receive pay rises for working at home, that many student-led societies no longer exist, including my own which I tried to hold together throughout the 2020/21 academic year with a large following. The university is intent on crushing the university's student union.

There are plenty of wonderful people at the university and it's area, and the surrounding area is beautiful and a joy to explore. But when you apply to university, you want to get a strong degree and leave with the academic knowledge you're paying for. You will not get that with the University of Leeds. Despite my course having a >99% pass rate, more than 15% of people dropped out over the pandemic owing to the impossible expectations of teaching staff. My grades took a huge hit, and I was even passed up on mitigating circumstances when I could'nt attend an online exam due to being in hospital owing to an adverse reaction to the COVID-19 vaccine.

One thing I've heard from many students is that very few of them are given an option to join the course they applied to, usually being shovelled onto a similar course with less funding and more postgraduate student teaching staff. This is not something you should settle for. You WILL NOT get the course that they are giving you, you will receive an amalgamation of teaching materials from the most available teaching staff within the school and be presented with a non-sensical degree which they will spend all of first year trying to convine is in fact a real discipline of study with loosely prepared teaching material which staff mostly haven't prepared themselves.

TL;DR - Don't be afraid to apply for universities with "lower" rankings on newspaper league tables. Search for student satisfaction, module content, qualifications of teaching staff, union representation and student-to-staff teaching ratios. I hope this has been useful.
(edited 2 years ago)
So I emailed Leeds medicine about access to Leeds and they said that they will lower the score required to get an interview if you participate on A2L .They didn't say by how much tho
In previous years I believe they lowered it by 10 however since the scoring is reformed this year I guess maybe 5
What do you think
So I emailed Leeds medicine about access to Leeds and they said that they will lower the score required to get an interview if you participate on A2L .They didn't say by how much tho
In previous years I believe they lowered it by 10 however since the scoring is reformed this year I guess maybe 5
What do you think

Do we know the scoring system for this year yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending