The Student Room Group

What do we think of Jack Wills these days?

So I know Jack Wills has kind of been associated with people just wanting to be trendy over the years, but I have always really liked the design and quality of their clothes and still regularly purchase items now even though it's undoubtedly beyond its peak of popularity. I was kind of wondering what the general consensus is towards it these days.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Not relevant anymore
Rich/ private school chav wear.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Cancelled Alice
Rich chav wear.

I would argue it's gradually moved away from that kind of image over the years though, especially since Sports Direct took over
Original post by jamiet0185
I would argue it's gradually moved away from that kind of image over the years though, especially since Sports Direct took over

LOL, I didn’t know that Sports Direct has taken over. Now a days sd seems to be angling it’s self upwards though.
What do you think about JW?
I think it’s nice
Reply 6
LOL, I didn’t know that Sports Direct has taken over. Now a days sd seems to be angling it’s self upwards though.

I've always liked the design and quality, although it is losing its identity a bit under the stewardship of sports direct. Becoming more sporty and losing all the Britishness and university outfitter branding which made it such a strong brand
(edited 2 years ago)
Clothes worn by 15-17 year old boys who think they’re cool. Just like when they were all wearing the V-neck Topman T-shirts some years ago.
Original post by Son of the Sea
Clothes worn by 15-17 year old boys who think they’re cool. Just like when they were all wearing the V-neck Topman T-shirts some years ago.

What's wrong with v-neck shirts? :curious:
Reply 9

Much like a lot of fashion brands which become vogue (Firetrap for example) Jack Wills hit highs but failed to sufficiently diversify and the firm's expansion was funded by a fair bit of debt. As a result once sales cooled off around 2015 it almost went bust and thus Sports Direct picked up another bargain.

I was never a massive fan personally.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Much like a lot of fashion brands which become vogue (Firetrap for example) Jack Wills hit highs but failed to sufficiently diversify and the firm's expansion was funded by a fair bit of debt. As a result once sales cooled off around 2015 it almost went bust and thus Sports Direct picked up another bargain.

I was never a massive fan personally.

I'd forgotten about Firetrap :lol:
Sports Direct always buys up the failing high street brands :sigh:
Original post by rosy_posy
I'd forgotten about Firetrap :lol:
Sports Direct always buys up the failing high street brands :sigh:

Unfortunately firms are made up of people and people are idiot. All fashion firms that see growth for a few years think that they are the next Channel, that every item they make is gold and thus they either don't diversify enough or take too much risk in fueling their expansion.
hmm jack wills. I almost forgot about them. I remeber seeing in an all girls school people with gym bags, hoodies, water bottles, lunch bags... jack wills, jack wills, jack wills. I almost decided to get my own stuff (but it never happened) I think this was year 9? 2016? dont remember. It was a hot trend back in the days. then it kinda just died down. Now im seeing north face jackets (bank balances go screaamm)
North Face? Budget. All the independent school kiddies are now rocking Moncler and Canada Goose jackets which cost more than a small car.
Original post by Rakas21
Unfortunately firms are made up of people and people are idiot. All fashion firms that see growth for a few years think that they are the next Channel, that every item they make is gold and thus they either don't diversify enough or take too much risk in fueling their expansion.

Lol I wouldn't say that everyone within a firm is an idiot. Otherwise we wouldn't have the hugely successful brands that are known worldwide.
Brands like Nike and Adidas have managed to maintain their relevance because of their sporty and trendy styles.
Abercrombie, Jack Wills and UGG boots have gone out of fashion because they didn't diversify their style enough. They are stuck in the 2000s.
Original post by Reality Check
North Face? Budget. All the independent school kiddies are now rocking Moncler and Canada Goose jackets which cost more than a small car.

I am guessing you interact with independent school students often? :curious:
I am guessing you interact with independent school students often? :curious:

Mostly, yes. Nearly all our friends' kids seem to go to the independent sector and I did to, though Moncler jackets weren't a 'thing' back then.
Original post by Reality Check
Mostly, yes. Nearly all our friends' kids seem to go to the independent sector and I did to, though Moncler jackets weren't a 'thing' back then.

I never knew of rich people having their own fashion trends :lol:
What's wrong with v-neck shirts? :curious:

They’re horrible.
Original post by Son of the Sea
They’re horrible.

Opinion is subjective :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending