The Student Room Group

English lit, history and sociology for top unis

Hi! So I'm in y12 and hoping my choices are ok, as I recently dropped geography and I'm not sure if it was the right decision.

Ever since having to start thinking about a level choices (like a year ago), I've been very conflicted on my third subject with eng and history. I always had geog in mind as that was probably my third fave subject in gcses, but subjects like soc and psych always seemed intriguing so i chose sociology as a fourth.

I found this a very difficult decision and was gonna wait longer, but everyone in our year started dropping their subjects all of a sudden, and I (probably wrongly) rushed myself to make a decision and drop a subject. I just felt that in the end I preferred soc as it's new and interesting and the teacher is engaging, whereas with geography the teachers are a bit iffy, and I particularly found the physical geog lessons dull and unenjoyable.

My main concern is probably the whole thing of geog being a 'facilitating' subject and soc not - I know that a few years ago unis dropped this idea or sm but for some reason I feel like it will still inevitably have an effect on how my application looks etc.

Also, I'm worried that my subjects are now more narrowed - I mean, I'm like 90% sure I want to do sm like history or law at uni (going into law or teaching afterwards, possibly) - but I'm not totally sure on it. I'm that kind of student (I got all A*s at A levels) who found basically all their GCSE subjects interesting and enjoyable, including some science and maths (but not really physics!). I'm scared that I will now be limited if I were to change my mind on what to do (but honestly, I doubt it - I've always loved history and english, and essay writing - and I think soc goes well with that), and also that my subjects won't be able to demonstrate skills like logic for law (though there are some elements of that in sociology, like theories?). Would there be options out there if I did change my mind?

Sorry that was a long ramble, but essentially what I want to know is if eng lit, history and sociology would be subjects that I could get into top unis (like Oxford) with if I got good grades in them, including for a subject like law. Thanks so much!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sabrina19_
Hi! So I'm in y12 and hoping my choices are ok, as I recently dropped geography and I'm not sure if it was the right decision.

Ever since having to start thinking about a level choices (like a year ago), I've been very conflicted on my third subject with eng and history. I always had geog in mind as that was probably my third fave subject in gcses, but subjects like soc and psych always seemed intriguing so i chose sociology as a fourth.

I found this a very difficult decision and was gonna wait longer, but everyone in our year started dropping their subjects all of a sudden, and I (probably wrongly) rushed myself to make a decision and drop a subject. I just felt that in the end I preferred soc as it's new and interesting and the teacher is engaging, whereas with geography the teachers are a bit iffy, and I particularly found the physical geog lessons dull and unenjoyable.

My main concern is probably the whole thing of geog being a 'facilitating' subject and soc not - I know that a few years ago unis dropped this idea or sm but for some reason I feel like it will still inevitably have an effect on how my application looks etc.

Also, I'm worried that my subjects are now more narrowed - I mean, I'm like 90% sure I want to do sm like history or law at uni (going into law or teaching afterwards, possibly) - but I'm not totally sure on it. I'm that kind of student (I got all A*s at A levels) who found basically all their GCSE subjects interesting and enjoyable, including some science and maths (but not really physics!). I'm scared that I will now be limited if I were to change my mind on what to do (but honestly, I doubt it - I've always loved history and english, and essay writing - and I think soc goes well with that), and also that my subjects won't be able to demonstrate skills like logic for law (though there are some elements of that in sociology, like theories?). Would there be options out there if I did change my mind?

Sorry that was a long ramble, but essentially what I want to know is if eng lit, history and sociology would be subjects that I could get into top unis (like Oxford) with if I got good grades in them, including for a subject like law. Thanks so much!

Hi Sabrina!

I'm studying Law at LSE, and I did English Literature, Psychology and Business for A-Levels.
I was conflicted about choosing either Business or Economics because I knew Economics was higher regarded. I chose Business in the end because I enjoyed it more, but I was worried it would look like a 'soft subject'. I applied for Oxford too, but got rejected post-interview, and now I'm at LSE!
My advice would be to do subjects that you are passionate about. A-Levels are difficult, and it will be harder revising for a subject that you don't enjoy. I only had one facilitating subject (English Literature), I chose Psychology and Business because I enjoyed the lessons and I have no regrets! Do make sure your predicted grades are high if you're aiming for Russell Group universities.
The key for getting into a good university for Law is your personal statement and LNAT score.
Hope this helped :smile:
How to Choose 6th Form subjects - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects
Reply 3
Original post by Amiya_
Hi Sabrina!

I'm studying Law at LSE, and I did English Literature, Psychology and Business for A-Levels.
I was conflicted about choosing either Business or Economics because I knew Economics was higher regarded. I chose Business in the end because I enjoyed it more, but I was worried it would look like a 'soft subject'. I applied for Oxford too, but got rejected post-interview, and now I'm at LSE!
My advice would be to do subjects that you are passionate about. A-Levels are difficult, and it will be harder revising for a subject that you don't enjoy. I only had one facilitating subject (English Literature), I chose Psychology and Business because I enjoyed the lessons and I have no regrets! Do make sure your predicted grades are high if you're aiming for Russell Group universities.
The key for getting into a good university for Law is your personal statement and LNAT score.
Hope this helped :smile:

Thanks so much, that is great to know! :smile:

The reality is that the facilitating subject argument has never been the case. Nearly all universities didnt support it anyway and that is why the Russell Group dropped it and changed their advice. Even when they did encourage facilitating subjects they only recommended that 2 out of your 3 subjects would be facilitating subjects. A number of universities like UCL have a list of preferred subjects and they recommend student should take 2 of those. All your subjects are on that list and those of Sheffield and Birmingham for Law,
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/how-apply/entry-requirements
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
The reality is that the facilitating subject argument has never been the case. Nearly all universities didnt support it anyway and that is why the Russell Group dropped it and changed their advice. Even when they did encourage facilitating subjects they only recommended that 2 out of your 3 subjects would be facilitating subjects. A number of universities like UCL have a list of preferred subjects and they recommend student should take 2 of those. All your subjects are on that list and those of Sheffield and Birmingham for Law,
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/how-apply/entry-requirements

Ah thank you, that is reassuring to hear
Reply 6
I think I intended this thread to be in the a level forum but it's in the law one, can it be moved?
I think I intended this thread to be in the a level forum but it's in the law one, can it be moved?

It can be but the answer if the same - your A level subjects are fine.

To ask to move it, you should press the report button on the top right of your first post and then request a thread move to the A level forum
Reply 8
Original post by harrysbar
It can be but the answer if the same - your A level subjects are fine.

To ask to move it, you should press the report button on the top right of your first post and then request a thread move to the A level forum

Reply 9
bump one last time (it's probably a bit late for me to change back anyways lol) - even if I change my mind about my career will I be ok and have options, and are my subjects not super limiting or too similar? :smile:
bump one last time (it's probably a bit late for me to change back anyways lol) - even if I change my mind about my career will I be ok and have options, and are my subjects not super limiting or too similar? :smile:

Your subjects are fine and will cover loads of jobs. They wont cover Engineering, Computer Science or Economics as these need Maths A level. They will not cover medical courses as these require sciences. Other than those your subjects are as good a combination as any and open up things like Teaching, Journalism, Law, Civil Service and loads of other options. If you dont like your subject then change them. If you dont accept the advice given then dont ask for it.
Original post by swanseajack1
Your subjects are fine and will cover loads of jobs. They wont cover Engineering, Computer Science or Economics as these need Maths A level. They will not cover medical courses as these require sciences. Other than those your subjects are as good a combination as any and open up things like Teaching, Journalism, Law, Civil Service and loads of other options. If you dont like your subject then change them. If you dont accept the advice given then dont ask for it.

Ok thank you

Quick Reply

Latest