The Student Room Group

Global Markets Trading - what trading is the best?

I am currently doing an integrated masters in Maths and Stats and have a grad role lined up at a BB. I was wondering what kind of trading is the best for a mathematician/statistician? what asset class is the best and what product is the best to trade? I want it to really be worthwhile as I want to move into buyside later on after I get some experience on sellside.

Advice would be highly appreciated.
Distressed debt

Least likely to be automated any time soon.
Pretty much anything in FICC should see an easy transition to buyside. Plenty of commodity trading funds, macro funds (who deal in all kinds of asset classes but mainly FICC). If you really want to use your degree aim for more exotic things which involve complex pricing (non-delta one derivatives).
I worked in IBD rather than S&T so I might be wrong but have heard fixed income derivatives are fairly quantitative, that and working in a structured products team
Original post by anonuser99
Pretty much anything in FICC should see an easy transition to buyside. Plenty of commodity trading funds, macro funds (who deal in all kinds of asset classes but mainly FICC). If you really want to use your degree aim for more exotic things which involve complex pricing (non-delta one derivatives).

within FIC, do you think credit trading is better than fx trading? did an internship in fx options trading but im not sure it was that good. im looking more into credit but im worried if these arent as quanty as i think they might be...
Original post by penelopecrux
within FIC, do you think credit trading is better than fx trading? did an internship in fx options trading but im not sure it was that good. im looking more into credit but im worried if these arent as quanty as i think they might be...

Not my strong suit sorry. My advice is get in touch with the S&T management team at your bank. You should know who this is if you've already done an SA. Tell them you want to speak to people in credit or whatever. You'll get your most accurate answer there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending