The Student Room Group

Teacher pay

Looking at my pay this month I was a little disheartened. It wasn’t really a lot for all the work I’ve put in so far. My school pay less than the current M1. Did anyone else feel like this during the nqt. It’s just very little. Does it even move up in the second nqt year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammydodger39
Looking at my pay this month I was a little disheartened. It wasn’t really a lot for all the work I’ve put in so far. My school pay less than the current M1. Did anyone else feel like this during the nqt. It’s just very little. Does it even move up in the second nqt year?

It is typical that passing your NQT (or now the first year of ECT, I suppose) leads to you moving one rank up the pay scale. Teacher pay isn't loads early on, but personally I found that it compared to what most of my friends were earning fresh out of uni. I think it can also feel like less depending on where you live - my area is pretty cheap to live in, so I don't find it too difficult, but my friends in London struggle even with the increased pay.

Did you know about the pay situation when you signed your contract? It should have been made clear to you what you would be paid, and if you were told it would be M1 and it's less, then I'd get in touch with your union rep about that. I'm assuming your school is an academy or independent school, but if it's not then do get in touch with your union, as maintained schools have to follow the pay scales as far as I know. Ultimately, if you're not happy with the pay situation at your school, then you'd be best to stay on the lookout for a position at another school.

Are you on the right tax code?
Original post by bluebeetle
It is typical that passing your NQT (or now the first year of ECT, I suppose) leads to you moving one rank up the pay scale. Teacher pay isn't loads early on, but personally I found that it compared to what most of my friends were earning fresh out of uni. I think it can also feel like less depending on where you live - my area is pretty cheap to live in, so I don't find it too difficult, but my friends in London struggle even with the increased pay.

Did you know about the pay situation when you signed your contract? It should have been made clear to you what you would be paid, and if you were told it would be M1 and it's less, then I'd get in touch with your union rep about that. I'm assuming your school is an academy or independent school, but if it's not then do get in touch with your union, as maintained schools have to follow the pay scales as far as I know. Ultimately, if you're not happy with the pay situation at your school, then you'd be best to stay on the lookout for a position at another school.

It specifically stated mps 1 on the application form. Its an academy. Monthly with deductions it’s not a lot, around 1.6k. I earnt more in a job that I was doing in retail before. It’s not the place but I think the pay is significantly low, I am looking out but I think they say round xmas there’s a lot more. Atm there isn’t much going.
Original post by Muttley79
Are you on the right tax code?

I believe so. It’s NI contribution then pension contribution. Which I could opt out of but I think it would be silly to.
I believe so. It’s NI contribution then pension contribution. Which I could opt out of but I think it would be silly to.

I suspect you aren't because the code assumes you've been on the same pay since April ...
Original post by Muttley79
I suspect you aren't because the code assumes you've been on the same pay since April ...

Not to sound stupid but where do I find the tax code?
Not to sound stupid but where do I find the tax code?

https://www.gov.uk/check-income-tax-current-year

it should be on your pay slip

https://www.gov.uk/tax-codes/emergency-tax-codes
Original post by bluebeetle

OP is being paid M1 less last year's optional pay rise (this has been discussed on another thread). As far as I'm aware, this is totally legal, as schools were allowed to not give the pay rise last year.

Not to say it's right or not, but I think it's legal.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
It specifically stated mps 1 on the application form. Its an academy. Monthly with deductions it’s not a lot, around 1.6k. I earnt more in a job that I was doing in retail before. It’s not the place but I think the pay is significantly low, I am looking out but I think they say round xmas there’s a lot more. Atm there isn’t much going.

With all due respect, I think £1600 is a lot. I am on £200 a month above that and with my wife's student loan and bursary, we live a very comfortable life in a nice house in a nice area with two kids. How much exactly do you spend a month???? If you are based in the south, perhaps you need to look for cheaper areas?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SarcAndSpark
OP is being paid M1 less last year's optional pay rise (this has been discussed on another thread). As far as I'm aware, this is totally legal, as schools were allowed to not give the pay rise last year.

Not to say it's right or not, but I think it's legal.

Ah, that makes sense, I didn't realise that it was an optional pay rise.
Original post by hotpud
With all due respect, I think £1600 is a lot. I am on £200 a month above that and with my wife's student loan and bursary, we live a very comfortable life in a nice house in a nice area with two kids. How much exactly do you spend a month???? If you are based in the south, perhaps you need to look for cheaper areas?

Tbh I don’t. It’s not a lot for the area I live in. I have no kids but we live in an expensive area.
Original post by hotpud

Do you suggest children in the south don't get taught? Move to a cheaper areas doesn't work on a national scale, does it?

I don't have an issue with my pay but I always find this argument bizarre.
Reply 13
Do you suggest children in the south don't get taught? Move to a cheaper areas doesn't work on a national scale, does it?

I don't have an issue with my pay but I always find this argument bizarre.

It does make sense. There are places within a few miles of where I live where I could pay doubt the mortgage / rent for the same sized accommodation. I always remember watching Location, Location, Location once where a couple in London turned down an amazing party flat complete with two bedrooms and garden in favour of a basement 1 bed flat at the centre of the action. The compromise - a 1 mile walk. One of the wonderful things about being a teacher is you are not tied to a particular area. You can teach anywhere.
Original post by hotpud
It does make sense. There are places within a few miles of where I live where I could pay doubt the mortgage / rent for the same sized accommodation. I always remember watching Location, Location, Location once where a couple in London turned down an amazing party flat complete with two bedrooms and garden in favour of a basement 1 bed flat at the centre of the action. The compromise - a 1 mile walk. One of the wonderful things about being a teacher is you are not tied to a particular area. You can teach anywhere.

And the areas where no early career teachers can afford to live? What happens to them?

There are areas (actually quite large areas) where a lot of teachers can't afford to buy. And sure, the answer for individuals is to move, that's fine, but then you end up with some schools struggling to recruit, because their staff can't find anywhere within a reasonable commute to live. And that is a problem.

I think it's well acknowledged that a lot of teacher shortages are limited to certain geographic areas because of this. And that's surely a concern, nationally?
Reply 15
And the areas where no early career teachers can afford to live? What happens to them?

They go up the pay scale. By the time you end up on UPS 3, you are on £40k. Not bad for 39 weeks work.

I know it is an unpopular opinion, but teachers are very well paid when you take into account holidays and pension provision.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
They go up the pay scale. By the time you end up on UPS 3, you are on £40k. Not bad for 39 weeks work.

I know it is an unpopular opinion, but teachers are very well paid when you take into account holidays and pension provision.

I’m not sure you’re really grasping the issue here. Think about it this way: Because of the high cost of living in outer London, teachers payscales are adjusted and teachers working in outer London receive additional weighting. However, there are many areas in the South of England where house prices and cost of living are just as inflated as in outer London but teachers do not receive additional weighting. This is a concern, because teachers are essential workers and our current situation is that they are being priced out of working in particular areas. These areas then suffer from a shortage of experienced teachers as teachers who hit the age where they’d like to settle down and buy a property are forced to move to area with lower cost of living.
Original post by hotpud

40k after 12 years though. Less experienced teachers on 25k doing 40+ hours of work, more in many cases, can't afford to move to many areas.
Reply 18
Original post by ThursdaysChild22
I’m not sure you’re really grasping the issue here. Think about it this way: Because of the high cost of living in outer London, teachers payscales are adjusted and teachers working in outer London receive additional weighting. However, there are many areas in the South of England where house prices and cost of living are just as inflated as in outer London but teachers do not receive additional weighting. This is a concern, because teachers are essential workers and our current situation is that they are being priced out of working in particular areas. These areas then suffer from a shortage of experienced teachers as teachers who hit the age where they’d like to settle down and buy a property are forced to move to area with lower cost of living.

Yep. I get all of that. So either you suck it up and complain that you aren't earning very much, or you move. I appreciate that it is difficult, but we don't have the right to live where we want to live.
People living in more expensive areas still need their children to be taught. A school cannot operate on purely higher pay scale teachers - there isn't enough money provided for that.
In my area Bracknell gets some sort of pay lift due to being near London whereas Reading doesn't. They are pretty similar distances from London and housing is equally expensive. Makes no sense but will certainly contribute to it being harder to recruit teachers in Reading.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending