The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

From what I've read from the thread it seemed to very on the course taken. So RUK Scottish Pathway was higher than RUK English Pathway or No Preference. I think RUK Scottish Pathway was around 2900 and RUK English Pathway was around 2780. I found a useful FOI: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/medicine_admissions_statistics_f_25?utm_campaign=alaveteli-experiments-87&utm_content=sidebar_similar_requests&utm_medium=link&utm_source=whatdotheyknow

I've decided to apply to St Andrew's with 2820 in UCAT.
Hi all,

I am thinking of applying. I achieve WP so my augmented UCAT would be 2926/B2. I have been looking through their website but can't see anything about intercalation but the course, I believe, is 6 years. Are we able to intercalate at St Andrew's?
Reply 22
Original post by chris01928
Hi all,

I am thinking of applying. I achieve WP so my augmented UCAT would be 2926/B2. I have been looking through their website but can't see anything about intercalation but the course, I believe, is 6 years. Are we able to intercalate at St Andrew's?

At St Andrews you do 3 years there and come out wiht a BSc, then move to do 3 clinical years in a different place, so the intercalation is built in
Original post by GANFYD
At St Andrews you do 3 years there and come out wiht a BSc, then move to do 3 clinical years in a different place, so the intercalation is built in

Sorry, this might sound stupid, but I thought with medicine you get a BSc and a medical degree anyway?
Reply 24
Sorry, this might sound stupid, but I thought with medicine you get a BSc and a medical degree anyway?

No, most med schools give you an MBBS, MBChB or similar. At most places you have to intercalate for the BSc, though Nottingham and Southampton give a BMedSci within the 5 years
Original post by GANFYD
No, most med schools give you an MBBS, MBChB or similar. At most places you have to intercalate for the BSc, though Nottingham and Southampton give a BMedSci within the 5 years

Ahh my mistake. Second time applying and still didn't know that. Thanks :smile:
sorry, another question. As a RUK student, are we still able to receive the government loan of £9250 to the uni as well as the means-tested maintenance loan?
Reply 27
sorry, another question. As a RUK student, are we still able to receive the government loan of £9250 to the uni as well as the means-tested maintenance loan?

Yes 😊
Original post by GANFYD
Yes 😊

phew, thank you :smile:
See if you apply on ucas "1-3 years St Andrew's then the rest at a Scottish uni", do you definitely go to a Scottish uni if you get accepted? As im a Scottish student I get free university (I cant afford to go to England). So would there be any chance I would be sent to England?

Cheers
also would 2660 B2 be enough for Scottish applicant for Scottish pathway?
ive read that the cutoff for RUK applicants choosing the Scottish route is 2900. Is this correct as i was planning on applying for the Scottish route but am not sure now as i only have a 2870 and a B1. i would be so grateful for any advice.
Original post by maverick75
Hi,

I am an international applicant. My stats are
GCSE: 6A* (English, literature, Math, Double Science, Global Pers), 2 A (Econs, Music) 1 B (chinese)
Predicted: HL 666 (Chem, Bio, Econs), SL 666 (Eng, Math, Chinese)
UCAT: 2670 SJT Band 2

Would it be worthwhile to pick St Andrews as one of my choices?

probably not
Original post by SatSubh
Hi, thanks for being helpful to students like us @GANFYD

I am an international students, will still be age 17 (Sep 2022) and considering St. Andrews as a shortlist. Would value your views

1. iGCSE: Advanced Mathematics - A*, Extended Mathematics - A*, Chemistry - A*, Biology - A*, Physics - A*, Computer Science - A*, French - A, Eng Literature - A and Eng Language - B
2. IB Predicted: Chemistry HL - 7, Biology HL-7, Mathematics AA HL -7, Economics SL -7, English SL - 6, French - 5
3. UCAT: 2600, SJT: Band 2

Is this university a good shortlist and the chances of getting an interview call?

last year for ruk it was roughly 2800 and i assume the cut off is higher for internationals so i don't think it's the best choice. i'm not 100% sure about internationals though
Hi, I am an england student, I have got 2620 and a B3 in ucat. My A lvl pred are : A*A*A (A*s in chemistry and biology) and gcses:98777766554. I have a 5 in eng language so thats why wanna apply to atleast 2 unis requiring a 5. How much of a chance will I have with it? I am eligible for minimum offer so will have my score boosted by 10% and take me to 2880. Would that be enough to get an interview? Please help
Hi,
I am a Scottish student currently on a gap year and was wondering if applying to St Andrew’s is risky or not. My stats are:
Highers AAAAA
Advanced Highers AA in art and chemistry and B in biology
UCAT score was 2480 (620) band 2
No contextual flags apart from UCAT bursary
Any tips or advice on where to apply will be appreciated thanks.
Reply 36
Applying to St. Andrews as a contextual applicant :smile: 2750 in ucat but 10% increase gives me 3025 (hopefully enough to interview). My only problem is my Band 3, buttttttt I think it's worth risking 1 uni for it as no one seems to know how they score SJ post interview, and all my other options couldn't give a toss about SJ.

Who else is applying?
Original post by m4zza
Applying to St. Andrews as a contextual applicant :smile: 2750 in ucat but 10% increase gives me 3025 (hopefully enough to interview). My only problem is my Band 3, buttttttt I think it's worth risking 1 uni for it as no one seems to know how they score SJ post interview, and all my other options couldn't give a toss about SJ.

Who else is applying?

applying with 2720, B2. Good luck.
Reply 38
Original post by abh27sss
applying with 2720, B2. Good luck.

You too :smile: Are you contextual? (jealous of your Band 2 btw!!)
Original post by m4zza
You too :smile: Are you contextual? (jealous of your Band 2 btw!!)

I am but also a grad. Glasgow does not count grads for WP but Aberdeen and Edinburgh do. I haven't asked St A about this but either way I think my score should be enough as a Scottish applicant. I think you definitely stand a chance as St A's UCAT cut-off isn't that high.

Latest

Trending

Trending