The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheOGKaran
no worries haha you just gave me a mini heart attack lol

I thought I'd been stressing over nothing so I had one too!
only thing I could find on UCAS was this: https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/15-october-deadline-applying-time
Reply 1521
Just a quick thing, I can apply to Oxford on the 15th on UCAS and then still decide my other UCAS choices until Jan 15th right? Thanks for the help.

Original post by AliceKS
nope you have to be super duper prepared and put everything in now, sorry!

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/ucas-undergraduate-when-apply
15 October 2021 for 2022 entry at 18:00 (UK time) any course at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge, or for most courses in medicine, veterinary medicine/science, and dentistry. You can add choices with a different deadline later, but don’t forget you can only have five choices in total.
Original post by alice-sawyer
Will they tell you if you don't get an interview though?

:yes:
Reply 1523
wait are you sure? even on the UCAS website it says "You can choose up to five courses (all now or some later)."

Don’t worry! You can ‘add choices’ later on, before the other January deadline!
wait are you sure? even on the UCAS website it says "You can choose up to five courses (all now or some later)."

i think you can do that. I'm leaving on option free for now too
Subject applying for ~ Classics 1b
College applying to ~ Worcester
A Levels/ equiv taking ~ Latin, English Literature, Class Civ
Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ A*A*A*
Achieved GCSE/ equiv grades ~ 99999998887
Why Oxford? ~ I like the tutorial system
Why that college? (if you know why) ~ beautiful grounds, cheap accomodation, welcoming atmosphere
State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ Grammar

Anyone else applying to read classics? :smile:
Original post by amel04
Why that college? (if you know why) ~ beautiful grounds, cheap accomodation, welcoming atmosphere

Nope, but I am applying to Worcester.
Reply 1527
Original post by amel04

Yes I am too! Course IIA though :-) Plus I’m also considering applying to Worcester! Still haven’t fully decided yet though
Subject applying for ~ English and History
College applying to ~ don't know
A Levels/ equiv taking ~ Access Course to HE
Additional qualifications (if any) -
Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ 45/45 Distinctions
Achieved GCSE/ equiv grades ~ English 6 and Math (ongoing)
Why Oxford? ~ The tutor system and the close knitted community
Why that college? (if you know why) ~
State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ Access Course as a mature student
Subject applying for ~ Economics & History
College applying to ~ Open application
A Levels/ equiv taking ~ Economics, History, Maths, Psychology, Business
Achieved GCSE/ equiv grades ~ O Levels: 12A*s and 2As
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi!
Is anyone else here taking Economics and History?
Original post by ivyxue49
does anyone know when you find out if you've been invited to an interview? was it a week before the interviews are meant to take place?

As Scotney said, it varies from college to college.
My daughter applied to Hertford for Physics last year, and received her invite at 9:58pm on 2nd December. Her 2 interviews with Hertford were on 9th December (interview number 2 in the morning, and interview 1 in the afternoon). She then had a 3rd interview (normal for her course) with a randomly allocated college, St John’s, on 16th December. I don’t remember if she was advised on 2nd of December about the 3rd interview, or if she was notified later.
Original post by Tigss
Yes I am too! Course IIA though :-) Plus I’m also considering applying to Worcester! Still haven’t fully decided yet though

I looked at a few colleges on Sunday. Worcester is just as good in person and all the porters and students there were really nice. Like they told me why I should apply there instead of the other colleges I was considering, said they hoped I got in and offered to guide me and my family. The environment there is really friendly and relaxed from what I’ve seen and that’s why I ended up choosing it, personally.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1533
Original post by TheClaimsGuys
I looked at a few colleges on Sunday. Worcester is just as good in person and all the porters and students there were really nice. Like they told me why I should apply there instead of the other colleges I was considering, said they hoped I got in and offered to guide me and my family. The environment there is really friendly and relaxed from what I’ve seen and that’s why I ended up choosing it, personally.

That’s really nice to hear! It does seem really friendly and the grounds are just gorgeous
Original post by TheClaimsGuys

That sounds great! Where else did you visit?
Hi!
I'm planning on applying for Psychology at Oxford but I'm not entirely sure which college to apply for. I am looking at the tutors and the friendly environment mostly.

My choices are: Teddy hall, Queens, New college and University college. I also wanted to know the classic stereotypes of these colleges to aid my decision. Also what does 'rah' mean? hahaha, hate being an international student.

Thanks for any advice! :smile:
Original post by penguin3
Hi!
I'm planning on applying for Psychology at Oxford but I'm not entirely sure which college to apply for. I am looking at the tutors and the friendly environment mostly.

My choices are: Teddy hall, Queens, New college and University college. I also wanted to know the classic stereotypes of these colleges to aid my decision. Also what does 'rah' mean? hahaha, hate being an international student.

Thanks for any advice! :smile:

"Rah" is a slang term describing a stereotypical student/young person from a moneyed background. They will have lots of financial support from parents, a private education (often at boarding school), several family homes, holidays in elite ski resorts, go shooting and have been on a gap year ("gap yah") to somewhere "exotic". At uni, they will be big on partying, rowing, "rugger", lacrosse, and tennis. Their wardrobe should include Barbour jackets, pink trousers, gilets, heavy wool knit sweaters....Teddy Hall was the archetypal rah college back in the day
Original post by azby1098
That sounds great! Where else did you visit?

LMH, Wadham, and Magdalen
does anyone know if there's a MAT chat or anything similar? just wanted to get a sense of how people are prepping for it and how people find it at this point etc.
Subject applying for ~ Law
College applying to ~ New College
A Levels/ equiv taking ~ Latin, Law, Psychology
Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ A*A*A* and EPQ
Achieved GCSE/ equiv grades ~ 998888877777
Why Oxford? ~ I like the more personal tutorial style and just the whole atmosphere really!
Why that college? (if you know why) ~ I wanted an older college as well as a slightly bigger one, and New College looks really beautiful. It also offers mostly ensuite which is what I'd prefer
State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ State

Latest

Trending

Trending