The Student Room Group

Do I have Vulvodynia?

(Sorry about the grammar and the weird topic)
Basically here is the gist… I’m a Virgin and have never done anything with a guy but I do masterbate. For nearly a year now I have had a burning sensation around my vaginal opening. When I masterbate that area burns and is slightly painful - when two fingers are used but is relatively fine when one is used. I’ve been to the doctors and they are useless 😂. Any suggestions. Also please be nice, it took a lot for me to put this up as it is a sensitive topic.
Original post by Anonymous
(Sorry about the grammar and the weird topic)
Basically here is the gist… I’m a Virgin and have never done anything with a guy but I do masterbate. For nearly a year now I have had a burning sensation around my vaginal opening. When I masterbate that area burns and is slightly painful - when two fingers are used but is relatively fine when one is used. I’ve been to the doctors and they are useless 😂. Any suggestions. Also please be nice, it took a lot for me to put this up as it is a sensitive topic.

Its hard to say hunni on this ok as it's really upto your doctor to resolve this matter for you.

I'm a NHS registered midwife and the best I can say to you is below ok.
I'm always nice to people .

The main symptom of vulvodynia is pain in and around the vulva. The pain may be there all the time or it may come and go.
The main symptom is persistent pain in and around the vulva and vagina. The vulva usually looks normal.
The pain may be:
burning, stinging, throbbing or sore
triggered by touch, such as during sex or when inserting a tampon
constantly in the background
worse when sitting down
limited to part of the vulva, such as the opening of the vagina
more widespread sometimes it can spread over the whole genital area and the anus
Some women also have problems such as vaginismus (where the muscles around the vagina tighten involuntarily), interstitial cystitis (a painful bladder condition), painful periods and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Having persistent vulval pain can affect relationships, reduce sex drive, and cause low mood and depression.
Pain in the genital area is often embarrassing to talk about and can make you feel isolated

Treatments for vulvodynia include painkilling gels you can get from a pharmacy, stronger prescription painkillers, physiotherapy and talking therapy.

Self-care help is :-
Lifestyle changes may help reduce symptoms:
wear cotton underwear and loose-fitting skirts or trousers
avoid scented hygiene products, such as feminine wipes, bubble bath and soap (an emollient is a good substitute for soap)
apply cool gel packs to your vulva to soothe the pain
use petroleum jelly before swimming to protect the vulva from chlorine
try not to avoid sex or touching your vulva completely, as this may make your vulva more sensitive. If sex is painful, try to find a position that's more comfortable, or do other sexually intimate activities together until you have sought advice if penetration is painful
try to reduce stress, as it can increase the pain of vulvodynia
for pain when sitting, using a doughnut-shaped cushion can help

Medical treatments
A combination of treatments can often help relieve the symptoms of vulvodynia and reduce its impact on your life.
Vulval gels and lubricants you can buy:
Apply an anaesthetic gel, such as lidocaine, up to 20 minutes before sex. This may make sex more comfortable.
To stop the gel getting on your partner, either wipe it off just before having sex or ask your partner to wear a condom (if using condoms, use latex-free ones as latex condoms can be damaged by lidocaine).
If your pain is more constant, apply lidocaine regularly throughout the day. You can also use it overnight.
You can buy tubes of 5% lidocaine gel, cream or ointment over the counter from a pharmacy, although it's a good idea to get a doctor's advice before trying it.
Read the instructions carefully before you use it.
Vaginal lubricants and aqueous cream (also available over the counter from pharmacies and supermarkets) may soothe the area and help moisturise the vulva if it's dry.
Speak to a pharmacist about ...
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
Its hard to say hunni on this ok as it's really upto your doctor to resolve this matter for you.

I'm a NHS registered midwife and the best I can say to you is below ok.
I'm always nice to people .

The main symptom of vulvodynia is pain in and around the vulva. The pain may be there all the time or it may come and go.
The main symptom is persistent pain in and around the vulva and vagina. The vulva usually looks normal.
The pain may be:
burning, stinging, throbbing or sore
triggered by touch, such as during sex or when inserting a tampon
constantly in the background
worse when sitting down
limited to part of the vulva, such as the opening of the vagina
more widespread sometimes it can spread over the whole genital area and the anus
Some women also have problems such as vaginismus (where the muscles around the vagina tighten involuntarily), interstitial cystitis (a painful bladder condition), painful periods and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Having persistent vulval pain can affect relationships, reduce sex drive, and cause low mood and depression.
Pain in the genital area is often embarrassing to talk about and can make you feel isolated

Treatments for vulvodynia include painkilling gels you can get from a pharmacy, stronger prescription painkillers, physiotherapy and talking therapy.

Self-care help is :-
Lifestyle changes may help reduce symptoms:
wear cotton underwear and loose-fitting skirts or trousers
avoid scented hygiene products, such as feminine wipes, bubble bath and soap (an emollient is a good substitute for soap)
apply cool gel packs to your vulva to soothe the pain
use petroleum jelly before swimming to protect the vulva from chlorine
try not to avoid sex or touching your vulva completely, as this may make your vulva more sensitive. If sex is painful, try to find a position that's more comfortable, or do other sexually intimate activities together until you have sought advice if penetration is painful
try to reduce stress, as it can increase the pain of vulvodynia
for pain when sitting, using a doughnut-shaped cushion can help

Medical treatments
A combination of treatments can often help relieve the symptoms of vulvodynia and reduce its impact on your life.
Vulval gels and lubricants you can buy:
Apply an anaesthetic gel, such as lidocaine, up to 20 minutes before sex. This may make sex more comfortable.
To stop the gel getting on your partner, either wipe it off just before having sex or ask your partner to wear a condom (if using condoms, use latex-free ones as latex condoms can be damaged by lidocaine).
If your pain is more constant, apply lidocaine regularly throughout the day. You can also use it overnight.
You can buy tubes of 5% lidocaine gel, cream or ointment over the counter from a pharmacy, although it's a good idea to get a doctor's advice before trying it.
Read the instructions carefully before you use it.
Vaginal lubricants and aqueous cream (also available over the counter from pharmacies and supermarkets) may soothe the area and help moisturise the vulva if it's dry.
Speak to a pharmacist about ...

Thank you this really helps!!! the pain isn’t always there and isn’t severe but I will follow up with my doctors again maybe even get a gynaecologist referral to be sure. Honestly thank you this is more information than I’ve gotten out of any of the countless doctors I’ve seen so far 😂
Thank you this really helps!!! the pain isn’t always there and isn’t severe but I will follow up with my doctors again maybe even get a gynaecologist referral to be sure. Honestly thank you this is more information than I’ve gotten out of any of the countless doctors I’ve seen so far 😂

Hi
You are welcome.
It's best to be safe than sorry with pain down there as it could be nothing to worry about or something that can be treated.

Your doctor should hopefully refer you to see a gynaecologist at hospital but you might have to wait for a appointment.
Ask your doctor if seeing a gynaecologist will be helpful ok.

Yeah sometimes us nurses knows more than doctors do as it us who do all the hard work... Xx
Nice to know that you got more information from me than doctors ever did for you / maybe I'm in wrong job
Reply 4
Hi
You are welcome.
It's best to be safe than sorry with pain down there as it could be nothing to worry about or something that can be treated.

Your doctor should hopefully refer you to see a gynaecologist at hospital but you might have to wait for a appointment.
Ask your doctor if seeing a gynaecologist will be helpful ok.

Yeah sometimes us nurses knows more than doctors do as it us who do all the hard work... Xx
Nice to know that you got more information from me than doctors ever did for you / maybe I'm in wrong job

I completely agree !!! 😂😂 xx

Doctors also work pretty hard, you know...
Doctors also work pretty hard, you know...

Yeah most doctors work harder than others which I don't disagree with.

Nowadays a patient see doctor and require blood tests, blood pressure done but what happens is patient must make an appointment with practice nurse for this whereas doctor can easily take this for time it takes.( this been going on for years and years ).

Want to see how hard doctors work then come and work with me for a few days as I never see any doctors on my wards unless a emergency csection required which is only carried out by them as otherwise it is us who do the work.

Same goes to lots of generally adult nursing wards where nurses do everything and only see a doctor for patient walkabouts once a day.
Yeah most doctors work harder than others which I don't disagree with.

Nowadays a patient see doctor and require blood tests, blood pressure done but what happens is patient must make an appointment with practice nurse for this whereas doctor can easily take this for time it takes.( this been going on for years and years ).

Want to see how hard doctors work then come and work with me for a few days as I never see any doctors on my wards unless a emergency csection required which is only carried out by them as otherwise it is us who do the work.

Same goes to lots of generally adult nursing wards where nurses do everything and only see a doctor for patient walkabouts once a day.

I work in a hospital and would argue that all health professionals work very hard - and in my experience, it is usually the doctors who miss breaks because of how busy they are rather than nurses.
I work in a hospital and would argue that all health professionals work very hard - and in my experience, it is usually the doctors who miss breaks because of how busy they are rather than nurses.

I to has missed breaks as can't walk away from a patient while in middle of labor or rushed into theatre for csection.

Doctors has more time than nurses i find but I guess it can be different in every hospital in the UK on this.

Of course they work hard.

Quick Reply

Latest