The Student Room Group

University of Manchester A106 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tunge768
Which post codes count as wp?

Depends on the university; check on Manchester's website (POLAR quintiles look at postcode)
Hey guys,
Wondering if anyone can help! Looking at applying to Liverpool, Manchester & Keele, main reason for the choices are they all accept access course as an entry route and they are all within a 1 hour drive. I'm a mature student (Well by age, not mental state ha!)

Now obviously this isn't standard entry which makes it more tricky to understand the requirements. I've completed UCAT with a score of 2700 SJT BAND 2, which in all honesty I'm pleased with! Especially having been out of education for 13 years!

Now the question is, is the UCAT score good enough to apply and stand a decent chance at getting an offer at Manchester? My GCSE's back in 2008 were semi Decent with 5A*, 5A, 4B if I remember correctly however I do believe 2-3 of the A* were a multi scored BTEC(Still need to find the certs for UCAS)

Now Manchester also state this on there Application information -

Applicants are also required to meet the English language (Grade B) requirements listed above and must offer GCSE Mathematics at grade B (6). I'd also hit basic WP bracket based on postcode

Not sure how that effects the application, and if its worth applying to Manchester. My top two choices are Liverpool & Manchester tied with Keele in third.
Hey guys, are Manchester panel or MMI interview? From what I’ve gathered they are Panel but I genuinely thought they were MMI haha. Not hugely important just curious
Would Manchester be good to apply to with overall score 2700 but band 1 ? I worry the overall score may be too low but if I went down the 'holistic route' would I be prioritised because of my rarer band one this year?

Original post by becausethenight
Depends on the university; check on Manchester's website (POLAR quintiles look at postcode)

Ah ok thanks
My ucat score is 2730 band 1. I've got achieved a levels of 1 a star and 2 a. I've also got an a star in epq. My gcses are 988888777. Unfortunately not a contextual applicant. Any possibility of being considered under the holistic route?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by tunge768
My ucat score is 2730 band 1. I've got achieved a levels of 1 a star and 2 a. I've also got an a star in epq. My gcses are 988888777. Unfortunately not a contextual applicant. Any possibility of being considered under the holistic route?

We cannot know what their cut off will be but it seems there is a reasonable chance you will be above it and qualify for an interview that way. If you do not make the cut off your other data would appear to be strong for holistic assessment.
Original post by ClarissaBella
We cannot know what their cut off will be but it seems there is a reasonable chance you will be above it and qualify for an interview that way. If you do not make the cut off your other data would appear to be strong for holistic assessment.

Alright thanks, appreciate the quick response.
Original post by itsfarmer
Hey guys,
Wondering if anyone can help! Looking at applying to Liverpool, Manchester & Keele, main reason for the choices are they all accept access course as an entry route and they are all within a 1 hour drive. I'm a mature student (Well by age, not mental state ha!)

Now obviously this isn't standard entry which makes it more tricky to understand the requirements. I've completed UCAT with a score of 2700 SJT BAND 2, which in all honesty I'm pleased with! Especially having been out of education for 13 years!

Now the question is, is the UCAT score good enough to apply and stand a decent chance at getting an offer at Manchester? My GCSE's back in 2008 were semi Decent with 5A*, 5A, 4B if I remember correctly however I do believe 2-3 of the A* were a multi scored BTEC(Still need to find the certs for UCAS)

Now Manchester also state this on there Application information -

Applicants are also required to meet the English language (Grade B) requirements listed above and must offer GCSE Mathematics at grade B (6). I'd also hit basic WP bracket based on postcode

Not sure how that effects the application, and if its worth applying to Manchester. My top two choices are Liverpool & Manchester tied with Keele in third.

their ucat cut off last year was 2640 so you'd probably get an interview (and for WP+ it was 2500) so id say go for it and apply!

application data: https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/study/medicine/apply/data/
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey, do you guys think I will qualify for the ucat pathway this year with a score of 2680 B2 and a first class degree??
Original post by sofia333
Hey, do you guys think I will qualify for the ucat pathway this year with a score of 2680 B2 and a first class degree??

If they score grads the same as school leavers, I would say it's probably likely the cutoff would be above 2680 but that's very much gut feeling based on seeing 100+ point increases last year. I'd see it as risky, basically.
Hi, is it too risky to apply to Manchester with 2710 B2?
My GCSE's are 99999997776 ( 6 in English language 7 in English lit & 9 in other core subjects).
I get a WP flag on my application because I meet one WP criteria. However I don't think I am WP+ so am not eligible for a lower UCAT cut-off.
Thanks !! :smile: And sorry for tagging!!
@becausethenight @GANFYD
Original post by Funnyjam3728
Hi, is it too risky to apply to Manchester with 2710 B2?
My GCSE's are 99999997776 ( 6 in English language 7 in English lit & 9 in other core subjects).
I get a WP flag on my application because I meet one WP criteria. However I don't think I am WP+ so am not eligible for a lower UCAT cut-off.
Thanks !! :smile: And sorry for tagging!!
@becausethenight @GANFYD

Do not know how all the WP stuff works, so you may need to look into it!

It is hard to say if you would go into the UCAT pathway or not - you are likely to be quite borderline imo. And then holistic is a lottery!
Do not know how all the WP stuff works, so you may need to look into it!

It is hard to say if you would go into the UCAT pathway or not - you are likely to be quite borderline imo. And then holistic is a lottery!

Thanks for your reply!! Yes, I thought that :smile:. Guess it's quite risky then.
Original post by Funnyjam3728
Thanks for your reply!! Yes, I thought that :smile:. Guess it's quite risky then.

Depends how much you like Manchester, and what your other options are :smile:
Depends how much you like Manchester, and what your other options are :smile:

Yes definitely, thanks !
I have 11A*s GCSE, 2800 band 2 and A*A*A* predicted, will Manchester be a safe option for med? Also, I’ve heard a non-acedamic form must be filled as they dont read the personal statement, is this looked at? Is there a great emphasis on this?
Is there any point applying to Manchester with 2740 but band 3 UCAT?
Original post by olaapesinn
Is there any point applying to Manchester with 2740 but band 3 UCAT?

From what I've read they prioritise band 1 and band 2 applicants, so there are probably safer choices out there (but it's not an automatic rejection) :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by yara56394484
I have 11A*s GCSE, 2800 band 2 and A*A*A* predicted, will Manchester be a safe option for med? Also, I’ve heard a non-acedamic form must be filled as they dont read the personal statement, is this looked at? Is there a great emphasis on this?

Hopefully, as you would probably get an interview via the UCAT pathway.
The NAI form is only looked at if your UCAT is too low for the UCAT cutoff and you're looked at via the holistic pathway, AFAIK, but no harm in making an effort with it anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending