The Student Room Group

University of Lincoln A10L 2022 Entry (Nottingham at Lincoln)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ax_lx
hiya!
i am a reapplicant to medicine and im on a gap year and would just like some advice on where to apply for 2022 entry

my gcse's are the following :
6 9's - Bio,Chem,History, Georgraphy, Religious Studies and English Literature.
2 7's - English Language & Maths
2 6's - Physics and Spanish.

my a- levels are :
Biology - A
Psychology - A
Chemistry - B( CAG 2020) A (after resist in 2021 as I did the autumn exam in 2020 which counts as a first sit and got a B in it.)

UCAT is as follows
Total Score - 2420
VR- 640
DM -620
QR - 620
AR - 540
SJT - Band 1

I have calculated my score to be 127, should I apply to lincoln or nottingham????

I make it 126? And Lincoln is safer
Hi, I'm an international applicant looking to apply to lincoln, I've noticed that many applicants tend to take up to 10 GCSE's which gives them a high point when applying, but I am obligated to take only 8 IGCSE's as per my school policy so it would give me a lower score compared to an applicant with 10 GCSE's. Are there any considerations for international applicants with issues like this?
Reply 62
Original post by Subi2254
Hi, I'm an international applicant looking to apply to lincoln, I've noticed that many applicants tend to take up to 10 GCSE's which gives them a high point when applying, but I am obligated to take only 8 IGCSE's as per my school policy so it would give me a lower score compared to an applicant with 10 GCSE's. Are there any considerations for international applicants with issues like this?

They only score 8 GCSEs
Original post by GANFYD
They only score 8 GCSEs

oh... but I've seen quite a few candidates on this thread score all 10 GCSE's, do they choose only the best 8 out of those?
Reply 64
Original post by Subi2254
oh... but I've seen quite a few candidates on this thread score all 10 GCSE's, do they choose only the best 8 out of those?

"You'll be awarded points for each grade you achieve at GCSE level.
For the five year courses (A100 and A10L) we will score your highest eight subjects.
For the six year courses (A108 and A18L) we will score your highest six subjects.
The compulsory subjects of the sciences, English language and maths will be included in the scored subjects.
A maximum of 32 points can be awarded."
Original post by Rara345
I’m a little confused about how the Lincoln course works. I’ve looked online and I know it’s fully accredited by GMC and the degree is given by Nottingham, but how does the teaching work? Is it like a collaboration between Nottingham and Lincoln like HYMS where the lectures are streamed live depending on where they’re occurring?
Also, what are the advantages of Lincoln over Nottingham, or even just what are the differences between the courses?
Thanks.

Hi @Rara345

Basically, the Lincoln Medical School is in partnership with the University of Nottingham Medical School. We are based in Lincoln on the Brayford Pool Campus but are effectively Nottingham students whilst doing so. Timetables are exactly the same but the staff are different meaning that the Nottingham staff deliver the lectures in Nottingham and the Lincoln staff deliver the lectures in Lincoln. Therefore, there is no live streaming from a different campus depending on where the lecture is being delivered. We say it's the Nottingham course with the Lincoln experience.

There are few differences between Nottingham and Lincoln. It may not come as a surprise that the biggest difference is the location! We live in Lincoln and are students at the University of Lincoln as well as the University of Nottingham. Another difference is the way in which anatomy is taught. At Nottingham, students learn their anatomy by conducting full body disection whereas in Lincoln we learn by the method of prosection. Neither method is better or worse than the other, we learn exactly the same content just in a slightly different way. Finally, as Lincoln students we have complete access to all resources of both the University of Nottingham and the University of Lincoln. These include libraries (both online and on campus), students unions, societies and sports teams, student support services, and financial support too. It really is the best of both worlds!

Do visit one of our open days at more information can be found here
If you have more specific questions, feel free to chat to our students which you can do here

I hope this helps!

Kind regards
Joe :smile:
3rd Year Medicine BMBS (A10L)
Original post by UniOfLincolnStudent
Hi @Rara345

Basically, the Lincoln Medical School is in partnership with the University of Nottingham Medical School. We are based in Lincoln on the Brayford Pool Campus but are effectively Nottingham students whilst doing so. Timetables are exactly the same but the staff are different meaning that the Nottingham staff deliver the lectures in Nottingham and the Lincoln staff deliver the lectures in Lincoln. Therefore, there is no live streaming from a different campus depending on where the lecture is being delivered. We say it's the Nottingham course with the Lincoln experience.

There are few differences between Nottingham and Lincoln. It may not come as a surprise that the biggest difference is the location! We live in Lincoln and are students at the University of Lincoln as well as the University of Nottingham. Another difference is the way in which anatomy is taught. At Nottingham, students learn their anatomy by conducting full body disection whereas in Lincoln we learn by the method of prosection. Neither method is better or worse than the other, we learn exactly the same content just in a slightly different way. Finally, as Lincoln students we have complete access to all resources of both the University of Nottingham and the University of Lincoln. These include libraries (both online and on campus), students unions, societies and sports teams, student support services, and financial support too. It really is the best of both worlds!

Do visit one of our open days at more information can be found here
If you have more specific questions, feel free to chat to our students which you can do here

I hope this helps!

Kind regards
Joe :smile:
3rd Year Medicine BMBS (A10L)

Thank you so much! This is incredibly useful + Very exciting!
Hi, @GANFYD Can you please help me with what the lincoln cut off was for foundation year Medicine?
Reply 68
Original post by yumnum444
Hi, @GANFYD Can you please help me with what the lincoln cut off was for foundation year Medicine?

I don’t know anything about foundation courses, sorry
What was the point cut off for Lincoln medicine foundation year course for 2021? Thank you

anyone?
Reply 70
anyone?

I think it was around 38, can’t be certain though,
Does anyone know how the interview to offer ratio at Lincoln compares to that of Nottingham?
I score 127 points and am trying to consider the risks of both.(as I seem to be on the cusp on Nottingham)
Thanks
I'm applying to both notts and Lincoln as a graduate. 98/120, which might be okay for Lincoln. As a graduate, I don't know if 98 is enough for Notts
Original post by j.a.m.ucat
About the estimate of 118 ... shouldn't it be higher due to grade inflation between 2019 GCSE's and 2020 GCSE's?

It is just an estimate, and if you feel it should be higher and you'd only want to apply with a higher score, that is up to you - I think GANFYD and A_J_B have taken into account grade inflation, but also GCSEs are only about a quarter of the score (32/120). With 118, you would still need 26 UCAT points with full GCSEs and a B1, which is only a bit below average.
Original post by becausethenight
It is just an estimate, and if you feel it should be higher and you'd only want to apply with a higher score, that is up to you - I think GANFYD and A_J_B have taken into account grade inflation, but also GCSEs are only about a quarter of the score (32/120). With 118, you would still need 26 UCAT points with full GCSEs and a B1, which is only a bit below average.

Can you comment about what you think they'll require of graduates?
Original post by Chironn
Can you comment about what you think they'll require of graduates?

Nope, because I know nothing about it unfortunately :redface: @020200 may have some idea, as someone applying as a grad, or you could try and scale last years' score?
Hi, @becausethenight, I have a good score for lincoln however, I got a 5 in English language so had to resit and got an 8. Will they accept this? I heard they do not accept resits. my top 8 gcses are 99888777 (incl. eng lang) and my ucat is 2470 band 1
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by j.a.m.ucat
Actually, yes I was being an idiot. Grade inflation would only matter if that 118 number were based on previous years, but it is a new formula with no precedent. I must have just been tired, my comment made no sense.

No, it made sense! Always good to ask these things and check in :smile:
Original post by musab_101
Hi, @becausethenight, I have a good score for lincoln however, I got a 5 in English language so had to resit and got an 8. Will they accept this? I heard they do not accept resits. my top 8 gcses are 99888777 (incl. eng lang) and my ucat is 2470 band 1

I would get in touch with them, not me, as they are the ones who will know if they accept resits! Most med schools do, especially if it was in autumn.
Hi guys, score of 119 - too risky?
If I only score 8 GCSES my total would be 117
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending