The Student Room Group

Investment banking in Italy vs Wealth/Asset Management in Switzerland Salary

As stated in the title I would like to have a comparison between the salary in investment banking in Italy and Wealth/Asset Management in switzerland. I know that it can be a non-sense question but actually it make sense. Is it worth (taking into account the long hours and the life-balance) work for an investment bank in Italy? I don't think that the salary will be similar to that in London, but the hours are the same. In Wealth and Asset management the life balance is better and with a swiss pay you can earn a lot. I would like to know whether the salary is higher in Italy in Investment banking or Wealth/Asset in switzerland.
PS: even working in a back office job the pay in switzerland are high, and it will be frustrating seeing ex high school classmates (with bad grades) earning more doing HR in switzerland then I getting a Top MSc in Finance and working long hours in IB earning less in Italy..
(edited 2 years ago)
You realise the pay is high in Switzerland because it costs A LOT to live there right... Far more than the UK or Italy. It's not just high for no reason.
Original post by Gas-55
As stated in the title I would like to have a comparison between the salary in investment banking in Italy and Wealth/Asset Management in switzerland. I know that it can be a non-sense question but actually it make sense. Is it worth (taking into account the long hours and the life-balance) work for an investment bank in Italy? I don't think that the salary will be similar to that in London, but the hours are the same. In Wealth and Asset management the life balance is better and with a swiss pay you can earn a lot. I would like to know whether the salary is higher in Italy in Investment banking or Wealth/Asset in switzerland.
PS: even working in a back office job the pay in switzerland are high, and it will be frustrating seeing ex high school classmates (with bad grades) earning more doing HR in switzerland then I getting a Top MSc in Finance and working long hours in IB earning less in Italy..

Purely on gut id say wealth management in Switzerland is more lucrative, its a bit of speciality where the global mega rich live and/or have offices in.

Although if you plan to make the move permanent you have to also manage the very high costs of living around places like Geneva.
Reply 3
Original post by anonuser99
You realise the pay is high in Switzerland because it costs A LOT to live there right... Far more than the UK or Italy. It's not just high for no reason.

Yes but take into account that the majority of people working there are border worker, so they live for example in Italy and work in Canton Ticino, or other border countries, so at the end they convert their salary in euro.. For instance a builder or a shop assistant or an office worker, without a degree or at most with a bachelor from an unknown university earn around 4500 chf net monthly, that are 4100 euro..
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Gas-55
Yes but take into account that the majority of people working there are border worker, so they live for example in Italy and work in Canton Ticino, or other border countries, so at the end they convert their salary in euro.. For instance a builder or a shop assistant or an office worker, without a degree or at most with a bachelor from an unknown university earn around 4500 chf net monthly, that are 4100 euro..

Yes but most wealth management jobs will be in Geneva or Zurich. It's not as easy to commute there.

Also wealth management is a very different job to asset management which is a very different job to investment banking. It's unlikely you're suited for all three of these.

If you have a top MSc, why would you not go to London for IB?
Reply 5
Original post by anonuser99
Yes but most wealth management jobs will be in Geneva or Zurich. It's not as easy to commute there.

Also wealth management is a very different job to asset management which is a very different job to investment banking. It's unlikely you're suited for all three of these.

If you have a top MSc, why would you not go to London for IB?

I did not even consider going to London.

Anyway being a last year Finance student I can say that I will be suited for all those 3 finance jobs even if they are different, clearly it is because it is the start of the career, I know that later will be tough to change path..

I compared those positions because in switzerland there are only few positions in IB and almost all in Zurich.. While PB WM AM are the finance most spread jobs in Switzerland.

Aware of the differences among those positions I would like to know whether opting for IB in Italy make sense or the others in switzerland would be better, knowing that with IB there are more exit opps while for example there aren't in Private Banking.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending