The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by Coolkingz
I don't think it would be safer to replace a UCAT one (where your chances are quite decent) with a BMAT one where one doesn't know their chances as you have to apply without knowing your score.

what I was thinking, Thank you so much coolkingz! do you think my choices are smart based on my stats? I don't really mind where I go now I'm just trying to maximise my chances. If there is a better choice for my stats could you please advise me
Original post by GANFYD
Read this before posting:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...4&d=1594323463 Medicine 2021 Entry requirements

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...6&d=1594334950 GCSEs for Medicine 2021 Entry requirements

Shamelessly ripped from @Hygeia's post from the first part of this thread.

As it's getting closer to the medicine deadline, more and more of these threads are appearing in the forum and people are getting a little frustrated with the them so this thread is for all of those queries (the x uni or y uni questions, the where should I apply with these grades etc).

I'll start with some useful links:
What you might like to consider when deciding where to apply
The pros and cons of various universities
For all your where CAN I apply questions, have a look at the main medicine wiki page which contains links to the GCSE/A Level/UKCAT requirements of each university, allowing you to exclude those medical schools where you don't meet the requirements.
You can use the spreadsheet attached to the first post of this thread to input your data and find out at a glance where you are able to apply.

A couple of FAQs
Which medical schools are easier to get into?
The simple answer here is none of them, all medical schools are very competitive and those with a lower applicant to offer ratio one year are likely to have a much higher one the next year.
However, it is possible to apply smart - for example getting into Birmingham if you don't have the requisite number of A*s would be very difficult where the same number of A*s at another medical school are fine. Similarly, if your UKCAT is not brilliant, applying for medical schools which love the UKCAT might not be very sensible. You can make it easier for yourself by doing some research into the medical schools (using the links I posted earlier).
Should I apply to X university or Y university?
This is a very personal decision you have to make on your own as it is where you may be studying for 5 or 6 years. Do you have a gut instinct over which to go to? What is it you like about each? What don't you like? Have you visited both, if so, which did you feel more 'at home' at? Some people find it helpful to draw up a list of pros and cons for each if they're really struggling to decide. You can also have a look at what current students say about their medical schools in the link I posted earlier.

Any further threads on this topic will be merged with this one and hopefully someone (@meddad or @GANFYD) will respond to each giving advice, however, try to do some research on your own first! I'll add FAQs as and when they come up.

If you are wanting advice about med school applications, we need (as a minimum)
GCSEs and full grade/subject breakdown
A levels, subjects and predictions
UCAT and breakdown of subsections
SJT band
Brief mention of work experience
Any contextual or WP flags
The research you have done and any preferences

It also needs to be remembered that everyone advising here is doing so voluntarily and on top of other commitments, so manners and patience will receive a more favourable response!

I would be grateful if someone can help me choosing the 4 university options . I dont mind going any where in UK but I would like to apply for safe uni where I can definitely get interview
My UCAT Score is 2540 SJT Band 2
IGCSE 5 9’s 2 8’s 2 7’s
Predicted A levels AAA
Work experience 2 weeks in Internal medicine and General practice observe GP RCGP
(edited 2 years ago)
Hello!
Can anyone offer me advice as to whether my choices are smart and what uni to apply to for my fourth aspirational choice based on these stats?
A Level predictions: A*A*A* in Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively

GCSEs: 4x9s
5x8s
1x7 in French
UCAT: 2860 Band 2
VR: 610
DM: 750
QR: 830
AR:670
I’m thinking of definitely applying to Plymouth, Manchester and Southampton.
For my fourth choice, I’m weighing up between Liverpool and Bristol.
I’m not going to do BMAT.
Can anyone offer any advice on which uni to apply to?
Any help would be appreciated!!
Reply 723
hey can i please get some advice if i should apply this year ?
my ucat is a v low 590 and band 3.
each individual sections :
my gcse: 888888775
a level predictions : A*A*A in chem,bio and maths respectively
any help is appreciated/advice on unis and whether or not i should apply.
Original post by GANFYD
Read this before posting:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...4&d=1594323463 Medicine 2021 Entry requirements

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...6&d=1594334950 GCSEs for Medicine 2021 Entry requirements

Shamelessly ripped from @Hygeia's post from the first part of this thread.

As it's getting closer to the medicine deadline, more and more of these threads are appearing in the forum and people are getting a little frustrated with the them so this thread is for all of those queries (the x uni or y uni questions, the where should I apply with these grades etc).

I'll start with some useful links:
What you might like to consider when deciding where to apply
The pros and cons of various universities
For all your where CAN I apply questions, have a look at the main medicine wiki page which contains links to the GCSE/A Level/UKCAT requirements of each university, allowing you to exclude those medical schools where you don't meet the requirements.
You can use the spreadsheet attached to the first post of this thread to input your data and find out at a glance where you are able to apply.

A couple of FAQs
Which medical schools are easier to get into?
The simple answer here is none of them, all medical schools are very competitive and those with a lower applicant to offer ratio one year are likely to have a much higher one the next year.
However, it is possible to apply smart - for example getting into Birmingham if you don't have the requisite number of A*s would be very difficult where the same number of A*s at another medical school are fine. Similarly, if your UKCAT is not brilliant, applying for medical schools which love the UKCAT might not be very sensible. You can make it easier for yourself by doing some research into the medical schools (using the links I posted earlier).
Should I apply to X university or Y university?
This is a very personal decision you have to make on your own as it is where you may be studying for 5 or 6 years. Do you have a gut instinct over which to go to? What is it you like about each? What don't you like? Have you visited both, if so, which did you feel more 'at home' at? Some people find it helpful to draw up a list of pros and cons for each if they're really struggling to decide. You can also have a look at what current students say about their medical schools in the link I posted earlier.

Any further threads on this topic will be merged with this one and hopefully someone (@meddad or @GANFYD) will respond to each giving advice, however, try to do some research on your own first! I'll add FAQs as and when they come up.

If you are wanting advice about med school applications, we need (as a minimum)
SJT band

It also needs to be remembered that everyone advising here is doing so voluntarily and on top of other commitments, so manners and patience will receive a more favourable response!

So: (GCSE)
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 7
Physics: 7
Maths: 8
English Lit: 7
English Lan:7
Religious Studies: 7
Computer Science: 8
Business: 8
History: 7
French: 6 :frown:

A levels: (Predictions)
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Maths: A*

UCAT 692.5 - Band 2
VR - 580
DM - 620
QR - 740
AR - 830

BSMS Online Work Experience + Volunteering at vaccine clinic
Don't believe I can get any contextual offers
Looking at Aston, Plymouth, Manchester... not sure about the others
Original post by Zakssss
I would be grateful if someone can help me choosing the 4 university options . I dont mind going any where in UK but I would like to apply for safe uni where I can definitely get interview
IGCSE 5 9’s 2 8’s 2 7’s
Predicted A levels AAA
Work experience 2 weeks in Internal medicine and General practice observe GP RCGP

Please need urgent advice as school deadline
Aston ARU QUB HYMS UEA Sunderland Keele Kent Liverpool which 4 have better chances of getting interview?
Original post by xivst
what I was thinking, Thank you so much coolkingz! do you think my choices are smart based on my stats? I don't really mind where I go now I'm just trying to maximise my chances. If there is a better choice for my stats could you please advise me

I think ARU and Plymouth are good. Liverpool is a decent choice as well, and of course you said you want Imperial as an aspirational one. The only one I would consider is Aston instead of Imperial depending on what grades you got in each GCSE (which you haven't mentioned). If you still want to go for Imperial, then I think the other 3 you're going with are good.
Original post by wubbamaster55
my stats:

Biology - 9
Chemistry - 8
English Language - 7
English Literature - 6
Spanish - 8
Geography - 8
Maths - 9
Physics - 8
RS - 8

Biology - A
Chemistry - A*
Maths - A*

UCAT total Score - 2570 Band 2
VR - 510
DM - 620
QR - 760
AR - 680
STJ - Band 2

volunteering ward helper, online work exp

nope

thinking about Manchester (what do they look at with 'holistic system"), Liverpool, Hull York (idk if there's a scoring system please let me know) either ARU or UEA which ones better for my application? maybe Plymouth too???

please help @GANFYD

@GANFYD
@becausethenight
please 🙏
Reply 728
hi, thank you very much for the help
Does anyone know approximately how many offers Exeter are going to give out this year. I know they're going to interview around 500 and I'm a widening participating student so will get 100/100 for their points system. I'm just wary about applying though because I've been told to avoid Exeter due to the number of deferred entries from last year reducing the number of places available this year. Im concerned about getting an offer from them because of this. Also they have said that if they have too many people eligible for an interview they are going to use the ucat as a tie breaker. I have a low ucat ( 2560) so it probably wont be helpful. Would you guys advice applying here? Im just looking for safe options. @GANFYD@A_J_B@becausethenight
Also for aston, im scoring 31 and i know last years cut off was 29. Is my score risky?
Thank you very much for your help
(edited 2 years ago)
Hello, @GANFYD would greatly appreciate it if you can share your opinion on my choices

GCSEs:
9: Biology, Chemistry
8: Physics
7:Geography, Maths
6: German, English Lang + Lit
Distinction*: Creative iMedia
Distinction: Health & Social Care

A - level:
Biology, Chemistry, Sociology - AAA Prediction

UCAT:
2590 B2, VR:640 DM:550 QR:690 AR:710

Experiences:
MedicMentor 6-month WEX, BSMS + ObserveGP virtual work experience, volunteering at charity shop, tutoring maths, lots of wider reading etc

WP:
POLAR4 - Quantile 1 postcode, comprehensive state school, UCAT bursary, Low income, first in family to go to uni

Choices written down:
- ARU
- HYMS
- Edge Hill
- KMMS

Do you think these choices are reasonable, would you advise others? Thank you for your support:smile:
Hi @GANFYD,
I’d like your advice on whether or not I’m likely to get an interview from Leicester, Birmingham, Newcastle, King’s or Barts? I’ll probably apply to 3 of these. I’m probably an international student (I have a UK passport but haven’t been in the country for three years consecutive years yet).

iGCSE: 9,9,9,9,9,9,9,7,7 (9 in EngLit/Lang/Chem/Bio/Math)
UCAT:
VR:790
DM:730
QR:730
AR:690
SJT: Band 2
Average:735
Total:2940
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A* (Chen,Bio,EngLit,Math)
UCAS Tariff: 224 (likely)
Work Experience: UHS, BSMS, AHS virtual work experience

Do I stand a decent chance getting in to Leicester, Birmingham, Kings, Barts or Newcastle? Or are there any other safer options?
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi I’m really in need of some advice on where to apply! I’m a grad with great academics but low UCAT, are there any unis which favour this combo? Looking to apply to A100 courses.
My stats:
1st class degree in neuroscience (leeds)
A levels: A*A*A in bio, chem and geog
GCSES: 10 A*s
UCAT: 2680, band 1 (let myself down)
I’m considering Leicester, Nottingham and ARU so far but lots of mixed advice. I know kings look at GCSES but is UCAT still too low? No idea what to think about Barts; people got interviews last year with my stats and they love 1sts but still risky? Please help!
Reply 732
Original post by Coolkingz
I think ARU and Plymouth are good. Liverpool is a decent choice as well, and of course you said you want Imperial as an aspirational one. The only one I would consider is Aston instead of Imperial depending on what grades you got in each GCSE (which you haven't mentioned). If you still want to go for Imperial, then I think the other 3 you're going with are good.

GCSE I got 8 bio 8 maths 8 dt 8 rs 7 chem 7 physics 7 eng lit 7 eng lang 7 his 7 geo 6 further maths
UCAT is 2620 B2
how would this do in terms of applying to aston? would it be very safe, safe, borderline or risky?
Original post by xivst
GCSE I got 8 bio 8 maths 8 dt 8 rs 7 chem 7 physics 7 eng lit 7 eng lang 7 his 7 geo 6 further maths
UCAT is 2620 B2
how would this do in terms of applying to aston? would it be very safe, safe, borderline or risky?

I make your score to be 29.5/36 which I think would have been borderline last cycle, so I think it could be somewhat risky for this cycle.
Original post by sophieamiller2
Hi I’m really in need of some advice on where to apply! I’m a grad with great academics but low UCAT, are there any unis which favour this combo? Looking to apply to A100 courses.
My stats:
I’m considering Leicester, Nottingham and ARU so far but lots of mixed advice. I know kings look at GCSES but is UCAT still too low? No idea what to think about Barts; people got interviews last year with my stats and they love 1sts but still risky? Please help!

I'd say Nottingham would be a definite safe bet. Have you looked at Nottingham's entry requirement scoring system? Just at first glance you should hit 130+, so I'd definitely apply to Nottingham (they weight SJT pretty heavily).
Not sure about the others, though.
Original post by eighthirty
Do QMUL, KCL, UCL and Southampton accept deferred entry for med?

Yes, all schools accept deferred entry :smile:
does anyone know if Leicester gives A*AB or AAA as their offer? Or would they give an AAA offer but still accept an A*AB after exams?
Original post by Zakssss
IGCSE 5 9’s 2 8’s 2 7’s
Predicted A levels AAA

We need your full stats so including A level subjects, GCSE grades, UCAT breakdown.
Original post by sophieamiller2
My stats:

band 1 is less common with this cohort i feel like, so defo look into unis that heavily weigh the sjt section like nottingham/lincoln, hyms. i’d say kings could be smth you could look into as they give double weighting to band 1 than they do to band 2, let alone to band 3. im not qualified to say anything about your chances with your score, but i dont think 2680 is bad at all!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by godsservant1
Hello!
Can anyone offer me advice as to whether my choices are smart and what uni to apply to for my fourth aspirational choice based on these stats?
A Level predictions: A*A*A* in Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively

GCSEs: 4x9s
5x8s
1x7 in French
UCAT: 2860 Band 2
VR: 610
DM: 750
QR: 830
AR:670
I’m thinking of definitely applying to Plymouth, Manchester and Southampton.
For my fourth choice, I’m weighing up between Liverpool and Bristol.
I’m not going to do BMAT.
Can anyone offer any advice on which uni to apply to?
Any help would be appreciated!!

Plymouth, Manchester and Soton are all safe choices, I would say.

Liverpool would be safer than Bristol (cutoff 2830 last year, so you're above it but not by that much, depends how much you like Bristol)

You could also look at ARU, UEA, SGUL, Sheffield (but would lose points post interview for the B2), Aston, Newcastle (same cutoff as Bristol), probably Exeter, score yourself for Birmingham on their website looking for 7.5+, Leicester looking for 58+, QUB looking for 33+, Lincoln looking for 118+ to be safe. You have safer options than Keele, Sunderland and KMMS.
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending