The Student Room Group

Accidentally changed my patch change day

Hi there,
I just wanted to ask anyone here who uses the birth control patch (Evra patch), whether or not I'm still protected after this silly mistake!

My usual change day is a Friday, so, I apply the first patch on a Friday, wear it for 7 days and change it on the following Friday until my off week, take it off for a 7 days and start a new packet on that Friday etc. Last week, I forgot to put a new patch on, on the Friday after my off week, but applied one on the Saturday morning within 24hrs so that should mean I'm still protected! However, I also forgot to apply it last night, the following Friday, but remembered to put it on this Saturday morning again. Does this mean I've just sort of just changed my patch change day and I've started a new cycle using Saturdays instead of Fridays, and I'm still pretty much protected? Or have I completley screwed up and I should be using other contraception?

Please let me know if you have any idea! I want to assume that's fine as, aslong as you change it within 48hrs of the 7th day you should still be fine, I just need a little reassurance :'3

Thankyou!
Original post by deleine02
Hi there,
I just wanted to ask anyone here who uses the birth control patch (Evra patch), whether or not I'm still protected after this silly mistake!

My usual change day is a Friday, so, I apply the first patch on a Friday, wear it for 7 days and change it on the following Friday until my off week, take it off for a 7 days and start a new packet on that Friday etc. Last week, I forgot to put a new patch on, on the Friday after my off week, but applied one on the Saturday morning within 24hrs so that should mean I'm still protected! However, I also forgot to apply it last night, the following Friday, but remembered to put it on this Saturday morning again. Does this mean I've just sort of just changed my patch change day and I've started a new cycle using Saturdays instead of Fridays, and I'm still pretty much protected? Or have I completley screwed up and I should be using other contraception?

Please let me know if you have any idea! I want to assume that's fine as, aslong as you change it within 48hrs of the 7th day you should still be fine, I just need a little reassurance :'3

Thankyou!

Hi

Providing you not had unprotected sex while not having your contrecptive patch on then you'll be 100% ok.

You'll best try to keep your days of changing to the Friday but won't matter if you change it to the Saturday as keep it to this from now on.

A NHS registered adult nurse and midwife plus a pharmacy advisor dispenser.
Hi there,

Thankyou!

@deleine02

I agree with what Allyson2020 said on this as providing you didn't have any unprotected sex while forgetting to put new one on then you will be fine okay.
I know the pill its about 12 hours window of not taking it you ok providing you take it within that period of time, if you follow the instructions leaflet on this then you are fine. You saying its within 48hours of 7th day to change it then you answered your question as you did exactly this.

I'm a registered midwife so dealing with this lots.
Reply 3
Original post by Allyson2020
Hi

Providing you not had unprotected sex while not having your contrecptive patch on then you'll be 100% ok.

You'll best try to keep your days of changing to the Friday but won't matter if you change it to the Saturday as keep it to this from now on.

A NHS registered adult nurse and midwife plus a pharmacy

Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me! I did have unprotected sex, but that was on the Sunday evening after I had had my new patch on for over day. I didn't have unprotected sex on the days not included in my off week, which I should still be protected on.
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
@deleine02

I agree with what Allyson2020 said on this as providing you didn't have any unprotected sex while forgetting to put new one on then you will be fine okay.
I know the pill its about 12 hours window of not taking it you ok providing you take it within that period of time, if you follow the instructions leaflet on this then you are fine. You saying its within 48hours of 7th day to change it then you answered your question as you did exactly this.

I'm a registered midwife so dealing with this lots.

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your reassuring reply. I would usually apply my new patch late in the evening and remembered to put it on the morning after. I didn't have unprotected sex in the window that I had forgotten.
Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me! I did have unprotected sex, but that was on the Sunday evening after I had had my new patch on for over day. I didn't have unprotected sex on the days not included in my off week, which I should still be protected on.

Hi
Thanks for your reply back okay x

There no problems in replying about this as clearly you wanted a answer that will reassure you.
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your reassuring reply. I would usually apply my new patch late in the evening and remembered to put it on the morning after. I didn't have unprotected sex in the window that I had forgotten.

That's fine in answering your question on it.

Just remember to not have unprotected sex if you forget to put new one on after taking other off as leaving yourself open for unexpectedly pregnancy as none of the contrecptive birth control are 100% preventable as only about 99% preventable with just 1% chance of getting pregnant. This depends on your timing of your ovalution each month as you can do a calculator for this to give you a rough guide when you'll be ovalution that month especially if you were having unprotected sex okay.
At least you been sensible with not having unprotected sex during your window you forgotten to put it on.

Quick Reply

Latest