The Student Room Group

Doing a degree I'm not happy with

Is anyone else in the middle of doing a degree they aren't happy with or just want to see the end of? What are you thinking about doing once you graduate?

Scroll to see replies

There are more people than you think who go into a completely different grad career than their degree
A degree is merely a stepping stone unless you are a medic or something
Original post by WazzWazz98
There are more people than you think who go into a completely different grad career than their degree

I like this way of thinking. In reality, the degree you do won't guarantee you a job in the specific domain you're targeting. So, that means that all it is, at the end of the day, a qualification. Now, if you don't like it, what should you do? Should you stick to it? Suffer and feel unfulfilled?
Personally, I would not. I did a Computing course last year and hated it by the end of the first term. Without hesitation, I dropped it. Why? Because simply doing something for the sake of money doesn't cut it if you know yourself. Sure, we need money to survive but if that means you need to lose your "soul", what's the use? Personally, I admire the people who do things differently. So maybe you don't like your course... the what do you do about it?
You can either stick it and change your approach or drop it and do something else. It's ever so simple.
If you decide something which would seem non-beneficial to your future, then that is a mistake. But it's okay. Making mistakes is a part of learning. Just make sure to not repeat those mistakes.
Also, do consider that leaving the current course you're doing could be a costly choice. But if I were to spend 3-4 years of my life doing something, I would want to do something I like.
Reply 3

I am doing a degree with a job at the end but honestly the thought of that scares me. I feel sort of selfish for saying that.

Original post by Kaijuwede21
I like this way of thinking. In reality, the degree you do won't guarantee you a job in the specific domain you're targeting. So, that means that all it is, at the end of the day, a qualification. Now, if you don't like it, what should you do? Should you stick to it? Suffer and feel unfulfilled?

I also have 2 more years of the degree left and then placement / job work with it. Honestly I have no other aim in life, I've never actually thought about it and I don't want to spend time thinking about it. My uni made me hate doing this degree, and working in the field put me on the edge. You learn with each day that people in your own community have a complex, and you don't want to become like them.

I've been suffering for so long Im numb to it really, it makes no difference to the path in my life. Even if I get a job with our a degree, I'd be okay, just living like we all are trying to do.
Original post by Anonymous
I am doing a degree with a job at the end but honestly the thought of that scares me. I feel sort of selfish for saying that.

I also have 2 more years of the degree left and then placement / job work with it. Honestly I have no other aim in life, I've never actually thought about it and I don't want to spend time thinking about it. My uni made me hate doing this degree, and working in the field put me on the edge. You learn with each day that people in your own community have a complex, and you don't want to become like them.

I've been suffering for so long Im numb to it really, it makes no difference to the path in my life. Even if I get a job with our a degree, I'd be okay, just living like we all are trying to do.

Seek careers advice and talk to a tutor as well , see what options uni could give
Could you transfer to another degree ? Will your degree give transferable skills for other sectors ?
Original post by Kaijuwede21
Personally, I would not. I did a Computing course last year and hated it by the end of the first term. Without hesitation, I dropped it. Why? Because simply doing something for the sake of money doesn't cut it if you know yourself. Sure, we need money to survive but if that means you need to lose your "soul", what's the use? Personally, I admire the people who do things differently. So maybe you don't like your course... the what do you do about it?
You can either stick it and change your approach or drop it and do something else. It's ever so simple.
If you decide something which would seem non-beneficial to your future, then that is a mistake. But it's okay. Making mistakes is a part of learning. Just make sure to not repeat those mistakes.
Also, do consider that leaving the current course you're doing could be a costly choice. But if I were to spend 3-4 years of my life doing something, I would want to do something I like.

Guess it just depends how far through the degree a person is and how willing they genuinely are to start over , but in your case it was probably a wise decision
Same
Seek careers advice and talk to a tutor as well , see what options uni could give
Could you transfer to another degree ? Will your degree give transferable skills for other sectors ?

I've talked to my module leader and I am not allowed to transfer degrees but I am know the degree I'm doing has a lot of options. Just not necessarily options I would want. I'm sacrificing my own mental health just to get on with it and honestly, not much I can do about it now, nothing else I could do. My family is also pressuring me to complete the degree and have something on my back, which I totally understand nonetheless.
Original post by ashtolga23
Same

What are you thinking to do with it? Or what do you want to do regardless?
Original post by ehusername
I've talked to my module leader and I am not allowed to transfer degrees but I am know the degree I'm doing has a lot of options. Just not necessarily options I would want. I'm sacrificing my own mental health just to get on with it and honestly, not much I can do about it now, nothing else I could do. My family is also pressuring me to complete the degree and have something on my back, which I totally understand nonetheless.

You could drop out , or take a year out to decide potentially ? It all depends on what else you see yourself doing and how flexible you are i guess , amongst other things
You could drop out , or take a year out to decide potentially ? It all depends on what else you see yourself doing and how flexible you are i guess , amongst other things

Yeah I don't want to delay or prolong it any longer and I don't want to drop out and be left with nothing. At the moment in just going to get through it as much as I can.
Yeah I don't want to delay or prolong it any longer and I don't want to drop out and be left with nothing. At the moment in just going to get through it as much as I can.

that might not be the best option given how its affecting your mental health though
can you talk to a uni counsellor as well?
I'm so curious about the degree?
that might not be the best option given how its affecting your mental health though
can you talk to a uni counsellor as well?

I could but honestly I'm not optimistic, my uni is known for having student dissatisfaction and students dropping out because of mental health. I already know what to expect but I don't want them to rub salt on it.
I'm so curious about the degree?

How so?
I also studied a degree that i did not enjoy.
I remember in third year i wanted to drop out, but the only reason that i pushed through it was because i had a conditional offer for my dream postgrad course.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I also studied a degree that i did not enjoy.
I remember in third year i wanted to drop out, but the only reason that i pushed through it was because i had a conditional offer for my dream postgrad course.

That's really good to hear! How did you get through the last year or two?
That's really good to hear! How did you get through the last year or two?

So i was in my third year when the very first lockdown happened in March 2020. It was tough doing my dissertation and assignments i wasnt really interested in. Also had family situation to deal with too, i wanted to d*e!

Then my postgrad, i moved out which was fab! Other than placements, all my lectures were online. Nevertheless, i loved the course and had a great year!

I know studying something you dont enjoy is tough but I'm so glad i didn't drop out because i wouldn't be where i am now.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
So i was in my third year when the very first lockdown happened in March 2020. It was tough doing my dissertation and assignments i wasnt really interested in. Also had family situation to deal with too, i wanted to d*e!

Then my postgrad, i moved out which was fab! Other than placements, all my lectures were online. Nevertheless, i loved the course and had a great year!

I know studying something you dont enjoy is tough but I'm so glad i didn't drop out because i wouldn't be where i am now.

I'm glad it worked out for you, my mental state for my degree dropped around the same time in lockdown and hasn't gone up, but now I'm hoping that I can gruel through these 2 miserable years and be done with it.
I'm glad it worked out for you, my mental state for my degree dropped around the same time in lockdown and hasn't gone up, but now I'm hoping that I can gruel through these 2 miserable years and be done with it.

If i can get through it then so can you!

Just make sure you talk to someone at uni if you already havent done so. I made the mistake of not seeking help when i really needed it.

Quick Reply

Latest