The Student Room Group

A level choices

I originally picked photography, product design and media studies. I really dislike media studies and want to change it to something else , but I’m stuck as I have not got many options . Options I have are philosophy & ethics ,art , English literature and sociology . I literally dk what to pick as I’m not the smartest and really slow to pick up things so I was thinking maybe art but is it hard as I’m not the best at drawing but then again other two subjects are creative based I’m just stuck can anyone help please
I did A levels last year and did sociology so if you had any specific questions about it I'd be happy to answer them.
In general, although slightly content heavy, most the content is straightforward to get your head around. It is an essay based subject which is something to consider though I'd say that it is less so than subjects such as history and english and for me, I found that the fact that there was no coursework suited me well though you may want to consider whether you want a subject that focuses less on exams. I really enjoyed the subject due to how relevant the topics, such as education, are
Hope this helps
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SB1234567890
I did A levels last year and did sociology so if you had any specific questions about it I'd be happy to answer them.
In general, although slightly content heavy, most the content is straightforward to get your head around. It is an essay based subject which is something to consider though I'd say that it is less so than subjects such as history and english and for me, I found that the fact that there was no coursework suited me well though you may want to consider whether you want a subject that focuses less on exams. I really enjoyed the subject due to how relevant the topics, such as education, are
Hope this helps

I prefer coursework then exam based subjects to be honest
Original post by Rumi.xx

I wouldn't do sociology as your grade will be determined by three 2 hour exams
Reply 4
Original post by SB1234567890
I wouldn't do sociology as your grade will be determined by three 2 hour exams

Oh God . Definitely not that then 😂
Original post by Rumi.xx

English Literature often has 20% of your grade based on coursework. This does depend on the exam board though, so talk to your teacher. But if you enjoy coursework then it's perfect - mine's a comparison between Jane Eyre and modern prose and I can't wait to start.

Obviously, I wouldn't recommend it if you didn't enjoy English Lit at GCSE but I saw this reply and thought you'd be interested in the coursework side of English. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest