The Student Room Group

How similar are boxing and Karate?

Ive joined a boxing club at my uni but I’ve never done boxing before. I’m a girl and Ive got my 1st and 2nd Dan black belt in karate so I know how to fight but there is no karate club for my university so I’m doing boxing instead. The only thing is you can only join if you are good enough and they are testing me next week as it is a competitive squad. Someone with experience in both karate and and boxing or MMA, how similar are the two?
Not experienced, but they aren't that similar tbh. I mean they both require tones of cardio, but the rules and way of fighting are way different. Boxing is more about how you have to use your feet to keep moving aswell as trying to punch. Karate allows for more moves, like using your legs, feet, elbows, etc. try taking a few boxing classes or something before you get tested
Original post by Ivyreign
Ive joined a boxing club at my uni but I’ve never done boxing before. I’m a girl and Ive got my 1st and 2nd Dan black belt in karate so I know how to fight but there is no karate club for my university so I’m doing boxing instead. The only thing is you can only join if you are good enough and they are testing me next week as it is a competitive squad. Someone with experience in both karate and and boxing or MMA, how similar are the two?

do judo or bjj.
Original post by fitnessman123
do judo or bjj.

I dont think she has those available at her uni
Reply 4
I didnt have boxing available at Uni so gym'd up

After Uni, I started doing pad and bag work and have done since

Muay Thai is more advanced than boxing. Those kicks work!

Quick Reply

Latest