The Student Room Group

Health and Welfare Access Course

Hi I am currently attending an Health and Welfare course at NWRC as a pathway to occupational therapy or Physiotherapy I’m am interested in attending University of Ulster in 2022 I am a mature student any advice would be appreciated, or has anyone gone this route? Thank you
Original post by Crunch33
Hi I am currently attending an Health and Welfare course at NWRC as a pathway to occupational therapy or Physiotherapy I’m am interested in attending University of Ulster in 2022 I am a mature student any advice would be appreciated, or has anyone gone this route? Thank you

What would you like to know. I completed a sports science access course at college then a Sports therapy degree and currently a Physiotherapy MSc. I worked for 12 months in NHS community therapy under Physios and Occupational Therapists prior to the MSc. So can offer advice if you need any. I'm a mature student as well.
Reply 2
Hi
Thanks for your response, I am wondering if u felt the access course prepared you for the degree? Can I ask where u completed your degree? Would you know anyone who completed health and welfare access and went on to do Physiotherapy or occupational therapy, I am hoping to get into Magee university as I can’t travel any further, Thank you 🙏
Hi
Thanks for your response, I am wondering if u felt the access course prepared you for the degree? Can I ask where u completed your degree? Would you know anyone who completed health and welfare access and went on to do Physiotherapy or occupational therapy, I am hoping to get into Magee university as I can’t travel any further, Thank you 🙏

The access course was really good for uni prep especially 12 years after my failed AS levels. We had about 15 assignments over the 1 year course and they are constant and relentless. Way more than you get a degree level (which increases in detail and critique), so if you can manage them well, it will set you up just fine for the uni workload. It broke me into essay writing and learning really well even when i was so nervous if i could manage before i started.

I did my degree at Uclan and I don't know anyone that did health and welfare access but Id say do what you will be interested in that gives you an 'in' to a physio degree. It sound like Health and wellness will prepare you well for that side of the physio profession, you will come across a lot of students that have no idea that physio is a health medical profession as they are focused on MSK sport injuries in private practice. hope that's ok
Reply 4
Original post by anonymous789123
The access course was really good for uni prep especially 12 years after my failed AS levels. We had about 15 assignments over the 1 year course and they are constant and relentless. Way more than you get a degree level (which increases in detail and critique), so if you can manage them well, it will set you up just fine for the uni workload. It broke me into essay writing and learning really well even when i was so nervous if i could manage before i started.

I did my degree at Uclan and I don't know anyone that did health and welfare access but Id say do what you will be interested in that gives you an 'in' to a physio degree. It sound like Health and wellness will prepare you well for that side of the physio profession, you will come across a lot of students that have no idea that physio is a health medical profession as they are focused on MSK sport injuries in private practice. hope that's ok

Hi
Thank you for your response, I have since received an email that I would need the science access for Physiotherapy entry so I will move forward with OT, your advise was very helpful thank you 😊
Hi you can message me if you want to I'm a mature student in NI and did access last year.
Reply 6
Original post by beefcurry
Hi you can message me if you want to I'm a mature student in NI and did access last year.

Hi, I’m hoping to do OT next year in Magee, how did you find the course? Did u go on to study this year? If so how did u find the process?
Thank you
Hi, I’m hoping to do OT next year in Magee, how did you find the course? Did u go on to study this year? If so how did u find the process?
Thank you

Hi I wrote a reply but it didn't post. I'm not doing OT but applied to do a similar funded course. The process is different this year as instead of the hpat exam its a video interview. Access is a really good grounding for moving onto university level study.
(edited 2 years ago)

Hi, sorry for the really random question! But i'm more than likely doing Health and Welfare next year at NWRC and I was just wondering how you are getting on? I'm a bit confused about the breakdown of the course etc, like what way does your timetable work? Sorry for all the questions, just looking to be a wee bit more prepared for education this time around! Thank you :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Kaustin656
Hi, sorry for the really random question! But i'm more than likely doing Health and Welfare next year at NWRC and I was just wondering how you are getting on? I'm a bit confused about the breakdown of the course etc, like what way does your timetable work? Sorry for all the questions, just looking to be a wee bit more prepared for education this time around! Thank you :smile:

Hi , The course is great, there is a lot of work involved but so far it is manageable. It is important not to miss classes as u could easily fall behind.The lectures are very supportive. We are in college 3 days Wednesday Thursday,Friday and at times we are online depending on the current pandemic. I hope this helps. Best of luck
Hi , The course is great, there is a lot of work involved but so far it is manageable. It is important not to miss classes as u could easily fall behind.The lectures are very supportive. We are in college 3 days Wednesday Thursday,Friday and at times we are online depending on the current pandemic. I hope this helps. Best of luck

This is amazing thank you so much! Hope it all goes well for you... One more question, what are your modules? Like how is your timetable structured? Thanks so much again.
Reply 11
Original post by Kaustin656
This is amazing thank you so much! Hope it all goes well for you... One more question, what are your modules? Like how is your timetable structured? Thanks so much again.

Health and welfare, Human Anatomy and physiology, psychology, maths, IT,Study Skills first semester. Microbiology, Research, study skills maths second semester three full days
Reply 12
Sorry for a late response to this but I’m about to start this course this week and was wondering if you have to do the Maths? I already have a grade C GCSE maths and that’s all I need for nursing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending