The Student Room Group

NHS Trust limits access to chemotherapy for cancer patients

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by black tea
Nowhere near the same number of deaths as from covid. I would imagine much lower rate of admission to ITU too.

If the media constantly bombarded people with the amount of daily flu cases and deaths, and that it always mutates quicker than we can vaccinate everyone and eradicate the disease, I bet people would be terrified of it as well. Coronavirus is here to stay, even if it mutates to "evade" the vaccine, you'll still have some level of baseline protection against it that will blunt the severity. We just need to stop seeing this as a scary disease, and start seeing it as the new flu. Something that we'll all get, probably multiple times, but with vaccination and previous exposure, it won't be too severe for most.
Original post by Megacent
If the media constantly bombarded people with the amount of daily flu cases and deaths, and that it always mutates quicker than we can vaccinate everyone and eradicate the disease, I bet people would be terrified of it as well. Coronavirus is here to stay, even if it mutates to "evade" the vaccine, you'll still have some level of baseline protection against it that will blunt the severity. We just need to stop seeing this as a scary disease, and start seeing it as the new flu. Something that we'll all get, probably multiple times, but with vaccination and previous exposure, it won't be too severe for most.

Not quite sure how that related to my point or your previous point...
Reply 62
Original post by black tea
Not quite sure how that related to my point or your previous point...

You're arguing that covid deaths are much higher than flu deaths. But we're counting those deaths as someone dying for ANY reason within 28 days of a positive test. If we did the same with flu, wouldn't flu deaths appear to be very high as well?

The goalposts have moved so often (remember when we were only going to have restrictions for 3 weeks so the NHS could prepare?) that I no longer believe this is about public health. I think the scientists like Michie are attempting a coup detat because they love the power and genuinely feel they are entitled to rule us for our own good. Listen to some of the stuff that Michie says about the optimal ways to modify peoples behaviour without them realizing. She laughed when saying we should have restrictions forever. That woman is pure evil.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Megacent
You're arguing that covid deaths are much higher than flu deaths. But we're counting those deaths as someone dying for ANY reason within 28 days of a positive test. If we did the same with flu, wouldn't flu deaths appear to be very high as well?

The goalposts have moved so often (remember when we were only going to have restrictions for 3 weeks so the NHS could prepare?) that I no longer believe this is about public health. I think the scientists like Michie are attempting a coup detat because they love the power and genuinely feel they are entitled to rule us for our own good. Listen to some of the stuff that Michie says about the optimal ways to modify peoples behaviour without them realizing. She laughed when saying we should have restrictions forever. That woman is pure evil.

However you define deaths from covid, there is still a huge number of excess deaths since the start of the pandemic so no, flu deaths would not appear the same.

Will you get over the whole 3 weeks thing already? If you thought the restrictions were going to be for just 3 weeks, then you were just being naive, quite frankly. And the restrictions are now pretty much over, so just get on with your life like the rest of he country has.
There weren't mass lockdowns for the prior years of flu deaths; have you disaggregated the deaths to see how many are in turn due to the lockdown measures? The economic damage they cause alone can result in a heightened death toll, but in this case it was also a rejigging of the health system and its priorities, resulting in many delayed diagnoses. Not sure why he has to "get over" anything - is it a good thing that authorities brazenly lie because they think they know better? Your arguments seem pretty confused, to me.
Original post by TCA2b
Not sure why he has to "get over" anything - is it a good thing that authorities brazenly lie because they think they know better?

He should attempt to "get over it" for the sake of his own mental health as he has already stated that he suffered from anxiety and depression in the past, and this obsession with being lied to will not be helping his current wellbeing. Many of us have tried to explain the difference between a lie and a mistake or presenting a worse case scenario, but it is not getting through. So maybe @Megacent shoud talk it through with a professional counsellor who won't challege his world view like we tend to do on TSR, but will instead help him gain some insight into the root cause behind his extreme distrust in the whole scientific and medical community.
Reply 66
Original post by harrysbar
He should attempt to "get over it" for the sake of his own mental health as he has already stated that he suffered from anxiety and depression in the past, and this obsession with being lied to will not be helping his current wellbeing. Many of us have tried to explain the difference between a lie and a mistake or presenting a worse case scenario, but it is not getting through. So maybe @Megacent shoud talk it through with a professional counsellor who won't challege his world view like we tend to do on TSR, but will instead help him gain some insight into the root cause behind his extreme distrust in the whole scientific and medical community.

I do understand the difference harry. But it wasn't a mistake or a worse case scenario prediction. Whitty claimed that the data showed we could have 4000 deaths a day if we did nothing. But the data did NOT show that, and he knew the data did not show that when he claimed that it did. I don't see how that can be classed as anything other than a lie.

As for getting over it, it's not that simple. I have got over it in the sense I'm not angry about it any more. But when it comes to trusting the scientists, I can't just "get over" the fact that they lied to me. I can't just magically have faith in people who have lied to me, and who don't even have the decency to apologize for their lies.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending