The Student Room Group

6th form for the smart and college for thick people

Hi,

I was always lead to believe that post GCSE`s that if you are smart/intelligent you went to/stayed at school and went to 6th form.

But if you were thick/stupid and can`t count to 2 you went to college.

Whats your view ?

Scroll to see replies

My view is that this mentality is dumb and outdated.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
My view is that this mentality is dumb and outdated.

Explain how ?
Not really no Collages first of all offer more courses than many school sixth forms they also offer a broader range of qualifications A-Levels, T-levels, Btec and Ctec, IB, and some do NVQ's. If people mess up their GCSE's they offer GCSE English and Math retakes Btec first diploma (BFD) They also offer foundation years if you really mess up (where you'll do a numeracy IT and communication that will allow you to progress to a BTEC and then even on to
A-levels or an equivalent Btec or the like and of course those qualifications will allow you to uni they are also used by schools I don't know why but at my collage some kids from the local school came once every week for some reason. Also Universitys will run HND's at local collages.

My collage also offered courses for those who were severely mentally disabled some even made it into the main collage although not on to the level 3 courses.

So no collages are not for dumb people.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by jonathanemptage
Not really no Collages first of all offer more courses than many school sixth forms they also offer a broader range of qualifications A-Levels, T-levels, Btec and Ctec, IB, and some do NVQ's. If people mess up their GCSE's they offer GCSE English and Math retakes Btec first diploma (BFD) They also offer foundation years if you really mess up (where you'll do a numeracy IT and communication that will allow you to progress to a BTEC and then even on to
A-levels or an equivalent Btec or the like and of course those qualifications will allow you to uni they are also used by schools I don't know why but at my collage some kids from the local school came once every week for some reason. Also Universitys will run HND's at local collages.

My collage also offered courses for those who were severely mentally disabled some even made it into the main collage although not on to the level 3 courses.

So no collages are not for dumb people.

Many from my school (grammar school) went to the local 6th form college, because it’s really up to them and what place has the best courses that suits their future. My mum has the same mindset as OP so I’m stuck doing Fine Art instead of Graphic Design A level at a local colllege.
I don't completely agree with this but there is a kernel of truth in that some schools set high academic requirements for sixth form and those who can't meet the grades have no choice but to go to college. Whereas pupils getting the top grades can choose between sixth form or college.
Depends. It's more a measure how amenable you are to university education.

You could be as smart as a man with two heads, but go to VI Form then university and get a mediocre degree in soft arts and be more or less unemployable. You could also be rubbish at school, go to college go into work with some kind of cabling or IT thing, go into the workforce and have people tear your arm off to work for them.

Of course, there will always be a finite number of travel agents and beauticians that can inhabit the jobs market, so I'd be careful with that kind of stuff.
Original post by pavementchaser
Hi,

I was always lead to believe that post GCSE`s that if you are smart/intelligent you went to/stayed at school and went to 6th form.

Whats your view ?

It doesn't automatically mean that if you go to college, you're dumb - some smart people might choose to go college. However in my experience the people I knew who went to college weren't very smart and probably failed some of their gcses
The 11+ mentality is so bad, my brother cried when he didn’t get an offer from the school because it meant he didn’t ‘pass’ the 11+ and thought he would grow to become a homeless guy on the streets because of the pressure from our mum
disagree.
Original post by 3ggfriedrice
The 11+ mentality is so bad, my brother cried when he didn’t get an offer from the school because it meant he didn’t ‘pass’ the 11+ and thought he would grow to become a homeless guy on the streets because of the pressure from our mum

That`s terrible to feel that at 10/11 years old.
Many from my school (grammar school) went to the local 6th form college, because it’s really up to them and what place has the best courses that suits their future. My mum has the same mindset as OP so I’m stuck doing Fine Art instead of Graphic Design A level at a local colllege.

Why didn`t you stand up to your parents ?
Reply 12

Just because someone doesn’t pass their 11+ does not mean they cannot do well in their GCSEs or A Levels. However the school environment and your own desire play a part in that.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi,

Whats your view ?

6th form is camp especially if it's grammar school
Hi,

Whats your view ?

I trust you know that some places only have colleges and many schools don't have sixth forms? Much of East Sussex is like this ...
Hi,

Whats your view ?

I know it seems mean but I agree with it. College is much more recreational and practical. I know people who are in College for about two days a week then just go to the Gym or have a job the rest of the week - it really is not that hard compared to A-Levels which require a lot more skill and focus and determination. If you are not skilled or motivated to better your prospects and education in an academic career then you are not fit for a Sixth Form.
Hi,

Whats your view ?

Not necessarily true
And anyways, chances are the people at vocational college will earn more money much earlier than the academic people
If I was good with my hands etc I probably would have learnt a trade too instead of the academic route
Or at least as a backup
Original post by Muttley79
I trust you know that some places only have colleges and many schools don't have sixth forms? Much of East Sussex is like this ...

I didn't know that but i live a long way from E Sussex
I didn't know that but i live a long way from E Sussex

It's not the only part of the country like this ... there are 11 to 16 schools and Sixth Form colleges.
I'm thick and I go to sixth form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending