The Student Room Group

University of Aberdeen A100 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by pyran123
Hey folks, grad offer holder going to be 23 in September. For those asking about halls, they are quite pricey however rent across the city is very reasonable. If anyone has any questions about Aberdeen fire away as I’ve done my undergraduate here :smile:

Hi.. I'm also a grad looking to apply. Can I ask you if you had a high ucat score? Mine was kinda low but I meet every other requirement from the school. Hoping you can help pls
Hiya, does anyone know of Warwick accepts virtual work experience in light of the COVID restrictions
Reply 42
For the people who applied, have you received a confirmation from the uni?
Reply 43
Worth applying? Scottish student

UCAT 2660
VR 630
DM 690
QR 670
AR 670
SJT 2
2:1 Open University Natural Sciences
School grades what would have allowed me to apply to medicine as a school leaver
Relevant work experience
Hi.

Can anyone advise how Aberdeen scores the academic side of applications (to come up with the 30% pre-interview)? And any idea of scores that were allocated for UCAT in past years, and the combined scores (academic plus UCAT) that were successful in gaining an interview? (I've seen the tables they publish of "lowest successful UCAT" scores in previous years, but there's no way of knowing from them how a relatively low UCAT might have been compensated by other academics and vice versa.)

I have 2740 B3 for UCAT (B3 very disappointing after all my practice scores, but I gather Aberdeen don't take much notice of SJT except as a possible tie-breaker) and am trying to work out how competitive my application might be.

Thanks.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Gill2021
Hi.

Can anyone advise how Aberdeen scores the academic side of applications (to come up with the 30% pre-interview)? And any idea of scores that were allocated for UCAT in past years, and the combined scores (academic plus UCAT) that were successful in gaining an interview? (I've seen the tables they publish of "lowest successful UCAT" scores in previous years, but there's no way of knowing from them how a relatively low UCAT might have been compensated by other academics and vice versa.)

I have 2740 B3 for UCAT (B3 very disappointing after all my practice scores, but I gather Aberdeen don't take much notice of SJT except as a possible tie-breaker) and am trying to work out how competitive my application might be.

Thanks.

I found this from last year's forum. I am applying with 2720 B2, coupled with my academic record, I am pretty confident in getting an interview. I think 2740 is a good score comparing with previous years' cut-off.
Original post by abh27sss
I found this from last year's forum. I am applying with 2720 B2, coupled with my academic record, I am pretty confident in getting an interview. I think 2740 is a good score comparing with previous years' cut-off.

Thanks for that! I'm still very unsure, though, because of the combined UCAT and academic score. I have overseas grades which aren't public exams like GCSEs and so I have a "normal" internal report card for Year 11 despite the months of lockdown, online learning and doing almost all of my subjects in my second language, which will have to go up against top-flight GCSE teacher-assessed grades as I'm a Home applicant. (Oh, and I'm a Home RUK applicant, so very few places on offer...)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 47
Hi, I am a gap year reapplicant trying to choose which 4 med schools to apply to. Obviously no one here will definitely know but do you think I have a chance of an interview at Aberdeen with these stats?

GCSEs:
Maths - 8
English Language - 7 (resit after getting 5)
English Literature - 7
Chemistry - 9
Biology - 7
Physics - 6
Geography - 8
French - 7
Art - 6

A Levels: (achieved)
Maths - A*
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A

UCAT: (didn't do as well as expected so holding me back a bit)
Overall = 2640
VR - 670
DM - 670
QR - 710
AR - 590
SJT - band 3

Work Experience:
- Worked as an infection control cleaner, from the start of the first lockdown, in a local hospital; worked in many areas including A&E, labour & delivery and surgical theatres. Also would hostess sometimes so got more time for patient interaction during that role. Whilst cleaning in A&E, I wouldn't have much to do most of the time so junior doctors would let me observe as they knew I wanted to go into medicine.
- Volunteered at a performing arts club for people with disabilities for 2 years.
- Volunteered at a Mencap youth group for children with disabilities.
- An Ear4U2 mentor at school for pupils in the lower years who had mental illnesses.

Contextual Offers:
I am applicable at some unis because of my school however, my postcode is quintile 3 so not all unis because I only fit one part of the criteria at most offering contextual offers.

Many thanks in advance!
Original post by sjjjjj19
Hi guys, are there any RUK graduates here? If so do you guys get a maintenance loan from sfe? I've been asking around and no one knows

I’m a current Y2, I do get maintenance loan from SFE :smile:
Original post by Laynz1
Would a ucat of 2260 560 VR and good work experience be enough for Warwick grad med... I realise my score is below their cut off last year but would my work exp not help me seen as they worthy work exp a lot ?

I’m sorry but that’s way too low for Warwick, especially since they love their VR
Original post by an4nya
Hi, I am a gap year reapplicant trying to choose which 4 med schools to apply to. Obviously no one here will definitely know but do you think I have a chance of an interview at Aberdeen with these stats?

GCSEs:
Maths - 8
English Language - 7 (resit after getting 5)
English Literature - 7
Chemistry - 9
Biology - 7
Physics - 6
Geography - 8
French - 7
Art - 6

A Levels: (achieved)
Maths - A*
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A

UCAT: (didn't do as well as expected so holding me back a bit)
Overall = 2640
VR - 670
DM - 670
QR - 710
AR - 590
SJT - band 3

Work Experience:
- Worked as an infection control cleaner, from the start of the first lockdown, in a local hospital; worked in many areas including A&E, labour & delivery and surgical theatres. Also would hostess sometimes so got more time for patient interaction during that role. Whilst cleaning in A&E, I wouldn't have much to do most of the time so junior doctors would let me observe as they knew I wanted to go into medicine.
- Volunteered at a performing arts club for people with disabilities for 2 years.
- Volunteered at a Mencap youth group for children with disabilities.
- An Ear4U2 mentor at school for pupils in the lower years who had mental illnesses.

Contextual Offers:
I am applicable at some unis because of my school however, my postcode is quintile 3 so not all unis because I only fit one part of the criteria at most offering contextual offers.

Many thanks in advance!

Are you a Scottish applicant?
Reply 51
Original post by Blackfyrel
Are you a Scottish applicant?

No, i think this might weaken my chances of getting an interview
Original post by an4nya
No, i think this might weaken my chances of getting an interview

It would definitely be easier as a Scottish applicant but I wouldn’t say no, they look at every person very holistically
ucat 2760 B1

gcses 999999999

a level predicted grades A*A*A

could someone please advise on whether I have a good shot at getting an interview at Aberdeen?

thanks!!
Original post by annananananaanan
ucat 2760 B1

gcses 999999999

a level predicted grades A*A*A

could someone please advise on whether I have a good shot at getting an interview at Aberdeen?

thanks!!

Are you Scottish or RUK? How’s your work experience?
Hi guys - I'm seeing a lot of folk asking about whether they stand a chance of being interviewed, or getting in to our MBChB degree, and people asking about numbers of places, etc. I just wanted to flag that we've got loads of information on our website about our admissions data from past years, including numbers applying against numbers interviewed, and numbers getting in. We've also got data on our highest and lowest UCAT scores invited to interview.

However, please remember that we don't have a minimum cut off for the UCAT, so please don't be put off! The UCAT is considered alongside actual and predicted academic achievement. You can find loads more information about our entry requirements, application process, and the degree itself on the medicine section of our website.

Best of luck to all of you - I know this is a very stressful time, but hopefully you can all breathe a bit easier once you've submitted your applications!

Eleanor
Reply 56
Thanks Eleanor good to hear
My university degree is due to be finalised end of the month (Open University and final module ran Feb - Aug)
Would you recommend sending to admissions confirmation of final degree result once I have it which should hopefully be their equivalent of 2:1?
Original post by Leo577
Thanks Eleanor good to hear
My university degree is due to be finalised end of the month (Open University and final module ran Feb - Aug)
Would you recommend sending to admissions confirmation of final degree result once I have it which should hopefully be their equivalent of 2:1?

Yes, absolutely! All of this is useful to our admissions team.

Good luck, and enjoy your weekend!

Eleanor
Reply 58
Hi @UoA Enquiry Team, do you know if interviews are going to be held online or in-person this year?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Blackfyrel
I’m a current Y2, I do get maintenance loan from SFE :smile:

Thanks for getting back to me. That's very useful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending