The Student Room Group

Glastonbury Festival: Traces of drugs found in river at site

Well, lucky fish with all those free party drugs i guess?:lol:
Rather shows just how spectacularly the war on drugs has failed if people at said festival are consuming so much that it results in these findings though...
Equally, and extremely pressing reason to ensure there are plenty of legal, funded testing stations at said festivals. Again, if people are taking these kind of quantities the repercussions from a 'bad batch' could be catastrophic if people cant test their stashes and know exactly whats in them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-58710377
Is it turning the frogs gay?

On a more serious note the "war on drugs" has been an abject failure, started with the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 by the Tories, naturally. It costs billions a year and achieves nothing, basically like the current government.
Reply 2
Original post by username4986690

On a more serious note the "war on drugs" has been an abject failure, started with the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 by the Tories, naturally. It costs billions a year and achieves nothing, basically like the current government.

Naturally, alas we used to have a very enlightened view (relatively speaking) but in Westminster's never-ending urge to bend over for Washington they went along with it. I mean, they even banned Khat of all things to appease our colonisers.
The fact the NHS used to prescribe medical grade heroin for those afflicted by that addiction was a particularly good step in my books. The more or less ending of it on the grounds of 'diversion' was clearly rubbish at the time given the small amount that was diverted and the immeasurable harm it then caused anyway. As but one example of its failings.
I must say though, i have always found it particularly perverse that 'crimes of self' are any business of the government, let alone actually jailing people for putting what they like in their bodies. Granted, heroin is a destructive drug, to keep with this example, but sending someone to jail (where they can get even more of it or simply get addicted in the first place) is truly a perverse outcome.
Some poor fool is going to end up in A&E with an actual or anxiety of a river water related disease as a consequence of that news article being published.
Reply 4
Original post by Cancelled Alice
Some poor fool is going to end up in A&E with an actual or anxiety of a river water related disease as a consequence of that news article being published.

Just imagine the swimmers downstream, lucky or unlucky depending on your perspective, in getting a free dose of the aforementioned cocktail :lol:
What has been found is no surprise. Middle class people using drugs and then wondering about the crime rate in their area.
Original post by Napp
Just imagine the swimmers downstream, lucky or unlucky depending on your perspective, in getting a free dose of the aforementioned cocktail :lol:

Whitelake ness monsters…
The whole thing is an environmental disaster, the scenes of litter afterwards are awful. You would think they would care more about that considering it is mainly frequented by so called 'hippies'
Reply 8
Original post by CoolCavy
The whole thing is an environmental disaster, the scenes of litter afterwards are awful. You would think they would care more about that considering it is mainly frequented by so called 'hippies'

Cant say ive ever seen Glastonbury but iof its anything like Reading its revolting the amount of detritus these people leave behind, it looks more like a land fill than a concert venue.
The truly ironic, if not mildly enraging, thing is that these are the same people who usually whine about the environment and how we should all be driving electric cars, reusing nappies and sanctioning anyone that uses coal. A matter of practice what you preach imo.
Reply 9
So when the article says the MDMA concentrations quadrupled in the weeks after 203,000 people were there compared to before, how does the farmer explain the initial quarter already there? What's he feeding his animals?
Original post by username4986690

You know that's actually true right?

Original post by Napp

Rather shows just how spectacularly the war on drugs has failed if people at said festival are consuming so much that it results in these findings though...

I don't think there's actually been a "war" on drugs in the UK so to speak. Peter Hitchens wrote a book on it called something like the War that never was" or something which showed that it's never really been taken that seriously.

I am actually mildly supportive of the current system- and I say this as someone that has used drugs before.

I think it's a reasonable compromise between personal liberty and wider Society. If it's so easy to get hold of then why are people complaining? It's easy to illegally download films but few people are calking for an end to licensing) copyright for Instance...

If you can't get hold of drugs- A: that's probably a good thing , B: You're probably the sort of person that shouldn't be doing drugs.

Lastly the police don't kick down your house door and throw you in jail for smoking a joint. It's basically used as a pretext for putting away the repeat offenders and detritus of society.
Reply 11
Original post by Starship Trooper

I don't think there's actually been a "war" on drugs in the UK so to speak. Peter Hitchens wrote a book on it called something like the War that never was" or something which showed that it's never really been taken that seriously.

I am actually mildly supportive of the current system- and I say this as someone that has used drugs before.

I think it's a reasonable compromise between personal liberty and wider Society. If it's so easy to get hold of then why are people complaining? It's easy to illegally download films but few people are calking for an end to licensing) copyright for Instance...

If you can't get hold of drugs- A: that's probably a good thing , B: You're probably the sort of person that shouldn't be doing drugs.

Lastly the police don't kick down your house door and throw you in jail for smoking a joint. It's basically used as a pretext for putting away the repeat offenders and detritus of society.

I would disagree, whilst its not as vitriolic as America we are still a part of the war on drugs and it has been a feature of successive governments ill informed policies for years now, take the PSA, a ridiculous piece of law if ever there was one.

Which aspect of the current system? I mean in theory the ABC classification is a good way of demonstrating whats harmful and isnt but the problem is the government has expressly ignored the scientific advice on it and started lobbing random drugs into random categories based on political expediency.

People complain because a criminal record for it, jail or not, will ruin said persons life for no particular benefit to anyone else. Be it weed or heroin, arresting and possibly jailing someone for it merely worsens the problem or punishes innocent fun (depending on the substance in question)

I'm not sure what the next paragraph means?

No they wont, they might well do it for someone whose addicted to harder drugs though. In which caser its a medical problem that should be treated, not have them tossed in jail to worsen their habit (or likely pick up new ones). As for detritus, i would point out that those addicted to hard drugs, the ones we're talking about who get jailed, tend to be the ones who've suffered unimaginable harm in their lives from being raped as children, homeless etc. etc. drugs being an excellent coping mechanism for that, no to mention the only option for some where the system has categorically failed them otherwise.

Long and the short of it being the system is broken and doesnt seek to prevent drug use, merely penalise those who use them and simply because its an easy sector of society to clobber when pandering to the masses. Approve of drugs or not, the current means of dealing with them is inhumane in every regard and helps no one be it addict's or those who are victims of drug related crime.
Reply 12

I would disagree, whilst its not as vitriolic as America we are still a part of the war on drugs and it has been a feature of successive governments ill informed policies for years now, take the PSA, a ridiculous piece of law if ever there was one.

Which aspect of the current system? I mean in theory the ABC classification is a good way of demonstrating whats harmful and isnt but the problem is the government has expressly ignored the scientific advice on it and started lobbing random drugs into random categories based on political expediency.

People complain because a criminal record for it, jail or not, will ruin said persons life for no particular benefit to anyone else. Be it weed or heroin, arresting and possibly jailing someone for it merely worsens the problem or punishes innocent fun (depending on the substance in question)

No they wont, they might well do it for someone whose addicted to harder drugs though. In which caser its a medical problem that should be treated, not have them tossed in jail to worsen their habit (or likely pick up new ones). As for detritus, i would point out that those addicted to hard drugs, the ones we're talking about who get jailed, tend to be the ones who've suffered unimaginable harm in their lives from being raped as children, homeless etc. etc. drugs being an excellent coping mechanism for that, no to mention the only option for some where the system has categorically failed them otherwise.

Long and the short of it being the system is broken and doesnt seek to prevent drug use, merely penalise those who use them and simply because its an easy sector of society to clobber when pandering to the masses. Approve of drugs or not, the current means of dealing with them is inhumane in every regard and helps no one be it addict's or those who are victims of drug related crime.
Original post by Napp

I just looked up the PSA and saw that it was done by the Maybot so little wonder it's crap - how that useless bint ended up anyway near power is really quite something.

Well basically that drugs are illegal but that it's not really enforced. I think it's a reasonable medium.

See my last point - I think that the people who get arrested for it will almost certainly be arrested for something else in the long run , sob story or not I think it's better to get these people off the streets before they do so.

Piracy is widespread yet do you think we should abolish piracy/ copyright laws?

Theoretically if it was proven via cost benefit analysis that these were cheaper and more effective than the current system then it may be a good idea however -We have to have a police force. We don't have to have a drug rehabilitation centre.
Reply 14
I just looked up the PSA and saw that it was done by the Maybot so little wonder it's crap - how that useless bint ended up anyway near power is really quite something.

A truly moronic bit of legislation, that smells distinctly like it was pushed by American style think tanks and agitators. Making all substances illegal before theyve even been discovered is patently absurd.

Well basically that drugs are illegal but that it's not really enforced. I think it's a reasonable medium.

I dont know, i'd say theyre enforced pretty well. Weed may or may not be tolerated depending on the cop you encounter but if tey find you wit much else theyll book you.

See my last point - I think that the people who get arrested for it will almost certainly be arrested for something else in the long run , sob story or not I think it's better to get these people off the streets before they do so.

As in by dint of doing drugs theyre a career criminal do you mean? Assuming that were true, something i would respectfully dsagree wi given how many peop[le do drugs, giving someone a record/jail is a surefire way of making them a criminal as theyre unemployable after that.. After all, if someones been to jail, for anyting, theyre almost effectively barred from any meaningful kind of work - its hard, on a moral level, to then fault them for committing crime to get by when the state is the o0ne stopping them from being employed gainfully and legally.

Piracy is widespread yet do you think we should abolish piracy/ copyright laws?

I'm not sure of the relevance here?

Theoretically if it was proven via cost benefit analysis that these were cheaper and more effective than the current system then it may be a good idea however -We have to have a police force. We don't have to have a drug rehabilitation centre.

Its more a matter of fact, trillions have been spent on the 'war on drugs' and the agencies created to 'fight' it when simply going back to the status quo ante bellum can be seen as much more cost effective.
As to keeping this illegal simply to give PC Plod a job, i dont uy that logic im afraid. I mean, its exactly the reason the DEA came into being afer prohibition was lifted and they needed an excuse to keep those ones pon the payroll, they shifted to drugs instead.

Again, i would disagree, if you dont want addicts robbing people to buy their next fix, and you dont want to arrest them (the fact many addicts become that way in jail is telling) you kind of have to have rehab facilities.. at any rate, most rehab programmes are run through your local gp/hospital/chemist not at a dedicated facility. It is shown to be infinitely cheasper to simply prescribe buprenorphine/methadone/heroin than keeping on arresting and jailing people - especially as it simply makes the problem worse with not one redeeming feature to it, bar wasting police time and money. All you have to do is speak to a judge/magistrate and get their average opinion on it (or the police for that matter) many take the view that the current model is broken and not fit for purpose.
Original post by Napp
I dont know, i'd say they're enforced pretty well. Weed may or may not be tolerated depending on the cop you encounter but if tey find you wit much else theyll book you.

As in by dint of doing drugs theyre a career criminal do you mean? Assuming that were true, something i would respectfully dsagree wi given how many peop[le do drugs, giving someone a record/jail is a surefire way of making them a criminal as theyre unemployable after that.. After all, if someones been to jail, for anyting, theyre almost effectively barred from any meaningful kind of work - its hard, on a moral level, to then fault them for committing crime to get by when the state is the one stopping them from being employed gainfully and legally.

As long as it's for personal use I believe most cops wont bother it's just not worth the hassle

Using drugs doesnt make you a criminal but it does make you statistically more likely to commit crime and when paired with other factors such as class, area etc can also add to this.

I'm not supportive of the American system.

The police I know don't support the current system BUT think legalisation will make things worse and make drug use more widespread.

I'm open to more funding for rehab centres.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending