The Student Room Group

is it normal for hair (scalp) to smell bad after not washing it?

I wash my hair every 3- 4 days and on the 3rd or so day, my scalp doesn't smell that nice. It doesn't smell disgusting (unless you smell my scalp right up close), but...unpleasant? Idk it smells like scalp and sometimes like sweat. Does this happen to anyone else? How can I stop it????

Also I have a problem with dandruff - anti-dandruff shampoo doesn't help, washing hair more often doesn't help (just means I get dandruff quicker and my hair gets greasy quicker which is why I don't wash it as much). Sometimes when I wash my hair in the evening, the next morning there is already a bit of dandruff. It's really annoying me and I don't know what to do about it.
Original post by Anonymous
I wash my hair every 3- 4 days and on the 3rd or so day, my scalp doesn't smell that nice. It doesn't smell disgusting (unless you smell my scalp right up close), but...unpleasant? Idk it smells like scalp and sometimes like sweat. Does this happen to anyone else? How can I stop it????

Also I have a problem with dandruff - anti-dandruff shampoo doesn't help, washing hair more often doesn't help (just means I get dandruff quicker and my hair gets greasy quicker which is why I don't wash it as much). Sometimes when I wash my hair in the evening, the next morning there is already a bit of dandruff. It's really annoying me and I don't know what to do about it.

That means you probably have an oily scalp which requires frequent washing.
Reply 2
If you can smell your own scalp, it must smell really bad.
Reply 3
Original post by icedoatlatte
That means you probably have an oily scalp which requires frequent washing.

probably I do have an oily scalp but if I wash my hair more often, it gets greasy more often which is really annoying. Any suggestions on how to stop it from getting greasy so quickly?
Reply 4
Original post by ThomH97
If you can smell your own scalp, it must smell really bad.

YEAHHH I'm really self-conscious about this lol. It's weird because my scalp smells quite bad now, when yesterday it didn't smell bad or not to the point where I could smell it (this always happens btw).

Think of your scalp as an ecosystem. Bacteria on your scalp feeds off the sebum (oil on your scalp) enabling them to grow and makes it smell. Just means your scalp is more oily then others. Wash it more frequently especially with dandruff to deal with the smell and dandruff.

To sort out the dandruff there are plenty of shampoos to help with it so Shampoos with the active ingredients 'Coal tar' or 'Zinc Pyrithione' will help with dandruff
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by AbrahamP
Think of your scalp as an ecosystem. Bacteria on your scalp feeds off the sebum (oil on your scalp) enabling them to grow and makes it smell. Just means your scalp is more oily then others. Wash it more frequently especially with dandruff to deal with the smell and dandruff.

To sort out the dandruff there are plenty of shampoos to help with it so Shampoos with the active ingredients 'Coal tar' or 'Zinc Pyrithione' will help with dandruff

wow thank you so much for this!!!! This is really helpful!
probably I do have an oily scalp but if I wash my hair more often, it gets greasy more often which is really annoying. Any suggestions on how to stop it from getting greasy so quickly?

You can oil it so that when you wash it, it doesn't strip your natural oils. Also oiling your scalp and hair will improve the health of your hair and reduce dandruff, smell, breakage
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
How do you smell your own scalp? Especially up close, or did you invite someone give you a whiff?
Original post by Napp
How do you smell your own scalp? Especially up close, or did you invite someone give you a whiff?

exactly what I was thinking
Original post by Napp

I can literally just smell it by not doing anything. I could be sat down and be on my laptop and I could smell my own scalp. Especially when there's a little bit of wind, I can smell my own scalp even more. If I can smell it by not doing anyrhing I can't imagine how bad it smells up close. But this only really happens after 3/4 days of not washing my hair.
In my experience, its not unwashed hair, but damp hair that smells - and then not really the hair itself. Girls leave their hair wet and put in hair bands or scrunchies that get all damp and stay damp for ages - and they end up with a stinky hair accessory which they never clean and keep putting on clean hair afterwards.

With dudes, it might be the same thing. Short hair is so unlkely to be smelly if its just a few days. Much more likely to be a pillow or a hat or something that is getting damp and then coming into contact with the head and making it smell.
Original post by Trinculo
In my experience, its not unwashed hair, but damp hair that smells - and then not really the hair itself. Girls leave their hair wet and put in hair bands or scrunchies that get all damp and stay damp for ages - and they end up with a stinky hair accessory which they never clean and keep putting on clean hair afterwards.

With dudes, it might be the same thing. Short hair is so unlkely to be smelly if its just a few days. Much more likely to be a pillow or a hat or something that is getting damp and then coming into contact with the head and making it smell.

Like damp dogs. Or damp cats. Damp animals really - don't smell when dry, and then proper pong once they get a bit wet.
I can literally just smell it by not doing anything. I could be sat down and be on my laptop and I could smell my own scalp. Especially when there's a little bit of wind, I can smell my own scalp even more. If I can smell it by not doing anyrhing I can't imagine how bad it smells up close. But this only really happens after 3/4 days of not washing my hair.

If you can smell your own hair, people around you will be able to smell it even more. It sounds like you need to be washing your hair more often. If it gets greasy more quickly, it doesn't matter because you will washing it more often anyway.
Original post by black tea
If you can smell your own hair, people around you will be able to smell it even more. It sounds like you need to be washing your hair more often. If it gets greasy more quickly, it doesn't matter because you will washing it more often anyway.

But if I wash my hair more often, it will start to smell bad more often/it will smell bad quicker (I used to wash my hair more often so I know). Like it will smell bad just one day after washing (if I wash my hair every 2 days). It's really annoying why can't my hair just be normal

Quick Reply

Latest