The Student Room Group

Psychology or Business degree?

I'm really struggling to pick between the two as I have already written half of my personal statement about psychology, have done 3 work experiences related to psychology and my EPQ is about psychology aswell. However I feel as though this isn't a career I'd like to do for the rest of my life, I want to start a business, get into real estate and really start investing as I already have. The alevels I have taken are biology, psychology and geography. I'm really unsure of what to do.
If you don't want to do psychology as a career, I would not recommend doing it as a degree. It isn't a vocational degree, and if you want to do anything in the field, it will require further studies and work experience as well. So, as long as you meet the requirements for a business degree (you can check Uni websites for their entry requirements), you can still easily incorporate your experiences within your PS, but make it more business-oriented.

Also, why did you start writing your PS around psychology when that is not what you'd like to get into eventually?
Reply 2
Original post by Golden Crow
If you don't want to do psychology as a career, I would not recommend doing it as a degree. It isn't a vocational degree, and if you want to do anything in the field, it will require further studies and work experience as well. So, as long as you meet the requirements for a business degree (you can check Uni websites for their entry requirements), you can still easily incorporate your experiences within your PS, but make it more business-oriented.

Also, why did you start writing your PS around psychology when that is not what you'd like to get into eventually?

I was very set on psychology for a very long time but I have recently realised, I'm not really fond on carrying my studies on for 5+ years to get into clinical psychology when it's something I'm probably not going to spend the rest of my life doing. I'm just afraid that because I don't have any business a level, economics or maths, my entry will be less valid as my subjects aren't really related to the degree I want to do.
Original post by Mejdza
I was very set on psychology for a very long time but I have recently realised, I'm not really fond on carrying my studies on for 5+ years to get into clinical psychology when it's something I'm probably not going to spend the rest of my life doing. I'm just afraid that because I don't have any business a level, economics or maths, my entry will be less valid as my subjects aren't really related to the degree I want to do.

I don't know what applications are like these days, but won't doing well in your subjects and showing your ambition for business (extra/supercurriculars etc.) be enough to get you on a business course? My PS was all psychology and I got an offer to study law for goodness sake!
Reply 4
Original post by TheLetterZ
I don't know what applications are like these days, but won't doing well in your subjects and showing your ambition for business (extra/supercurriculars etc.) be enough to get you on a business course? My PS was all psychology and I got an offer to study law for goodness sake!

Really!? That’s amazing, what unis did you get offers from and which one did you end up going to?
Original post by Mejdza
I'm really struggling to pick between the two as I have already written half of my personal statement about psychology, have done 3 work experiences related to psychology and my EPQ is about psychology aswell. However I feel as though this isn't a career I'd like to do for the rest of my life, I want to start a business, get into real estate and really start investing as I already have. The alevels I have taken are biology, psychology and geography. I'm really unsure of what to do.

I study Psychology at uni right now (i'm in third year) and I would recommend going with business if you don't want to do a career in psychology - especially because a lot of them require lots of further work exprience and study so it can be a long process. However, choosing either one doesn't mean your chances to do the other subject are gone! You can either change degree subject at the beginning of the year (my boyfriend applied for engineering and changed course to maths and philsophy because he didn't enjoy engineering as much), or you could do a masters degree (i know some Entrepreneurship masters don't require a degree in any subject specifically and there are Psychology conversion masters for unrelated subjects) if you change your mind after graduating! I know choosing can be stressful but there are still options available afterwards to change your mind :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest