The Student Room Group

UBS - Industrial Placement Program in Global Banking, London

Hi everyone, I am a 2nd year Economics and Finance student studying at University of Exeter. I applied today for the 'Global Banking' role for UBS in London and they have invited me to complete their online assessment.:smile:

For the people who had an industrial placement and/or secured a graduate job with UBS:
1. How did you find the recruitment process?
2. How was your overall experience with them? Enjoyable or not?
It's unlikely you're gonna get a response from anyone who's actually done the placement so I'll indulge you given I've been through some of the process and I know people at UBS (though not in banking, mostly in AM).

Recruitment (as shown on the website) is 3 stages. Application, virtual assessment, AC. The application is simple. The virtual assessment is fairly standard although the video interview has some jarring questions iirc. Can't speak to the AC because I turned mine down but it seems they hand them out in November or early Dec.

Everyone I know at UBS likes the firm and their job and it's always come across to me as having a pretty good culture. Recruiters have told me that UBS is seen as a "nice" bank and Swiss culture runs through it. Saying that, banking is banking. Your level of enjoyment will probably be more influenced by working 80+ hour weeks than it will be by the nuance of each bank. If you can hack the hours, you should be fine.

This is also one of the only IB placements out there so yknow, beggars can't be choosers.
Reply 2
Thank you for responding, I actually thought no one would reply ahahha. I have done my virtual assessments and I think it went okay, just waiting on the result to see if I progress onto the next stage.

I saw some similar views about UBS to what you said and that's why I applied for them. Now, I will just wait for the result and see if I go onto the next stage or not. :biggrin:

Out of curiosity, do you work in any IB? :biggrin:
Original post by hypn0se
Thank you for responding, I actually thought no one would reply ahahha. I have done my virtual assessments and I think it went okay, just waiting on the result to see if I progress onto the next stage.

I saw some similar views about UBS to what you said and that's why I applied for them. Now, I will just wait for the result and see if I go onto the next stage or not. :biggrin:

Not currently but I start next year.

My advice for placements would be don't be too picky. You can't really afford to at this stage. Take experience from whoever will give you it. If that firm has bad culture (and not many do) then it's only a year anyway.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by anonuser99
Not currently but I start next year.

My advice for placements would be don't be too picky. You can't really afford to at this stage. Take experience from whoever will give you it. If that firm has bad culture (and not many do) then it's only a year anyway.

I agree with you and I am planning to apply for anything that I can. Unfortunately for me, I don't have work experience as I was really struggling to find any this summer but I do have volunteering and some achievements that I have put in my C.V which I think is relevant. I just hope I won't be disadvantaged because I haven't been able to get work experience at all :frown:
Original post by hypn0se
I agree with you and I am planning to apply for anything that I can. Unfortunately for me, I don't have work experience as I was really struggling to find any this summer but I do have volunteering and some achievements that I have put in my C.V which I think is relevant. I just hope I won't be disadvantaged because I haven't been able to get work experience at all :frown:

You are disadvantaged. I don't say that to be mean. It's a fact. The same way everyone who goes to a semi-target is disadvantaged compared to a target student. In my opinion it's important to know where you stand. That doesn't mean it's hopeless. Take your best shot, see what happens, and adapt and improve. That's all you can really do.

When I was applying to placements I had a similar CV to you (although I had some part time experience). Nothing particularly relevant. I didn't get into a BB or anything or even really anything close to what I'm doing now. It's not the end of the world. Got plenty of friends with similar stories.
Reply 6
Original post by anonuser99
You are disadvantaged. I don't say that to be mean. It's a fact. The same way everyone who goes to a semi-target is disadvantaged compared to a target student. In my opinion it's important to know where you stand. That doesn't mean it's hopeless. Take your best shot, see what happens, and adapt and improve. That's all you can really do.

When I was applying to placements I had a similar CV to you (although I had some part time experience). Nothing particularly relevant. I didn't get into a BB or anything or even really anything close to what I'm doing now. It's not the end of the world. Got plenty of friends with similar stories.

I guess that just means I will take my best shot and make the most of any opportunity I can find and hopefully down the line everything will be okay. I never really looked at which unis were a target for IB's in general, but yea I will see how it goes. What uni did you attend if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by hypn0se
I guess that just means I will take my best shot and make the most of any opportunity I can find and hopefully down the line everything will be okay. I never really looked at which unis were a target for IB's in general, but yea I will see how it goes. What uni did you attend if you don't mind me asking?

Read this: https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/20-most-frequently-asked-questions-london-edition

My username is anonuser99 for a reason haha.
Original post by hypn0se

I am also applying to this placement. Out of interest what. does the virtual assessment contain. Is it a mix of maths and comprehension questions or is it more economically focused questions?
Reply 9
Original post by anonomous20
I am also applying to this placement. Out of interest what. does the virtual assessment contain. Is it a mix of maths and comprehension questions or is it more economically focused questions?

It's more a mix of maths and comprehension questions, at least that what it was for me. I wish you the best of luck!
Original post by hypn0se
It's more a mix of maths and comprehension questions, at least that what it was for me. I wish you the best of luck!

Cheers for the quick response. Would you say the maths required was challenging, i am an economics and business student however i did not study A-level maths, so my further maths knowledge is somewhat limited.
Original post by anonomous20
Cheers for the quick response. Would you say the maths required was challenging, i am an economics and business student however i did not study A-level maths, so my further maths knowledge is somewhat limited.

It's basic maths. There will be examples before you do the test.
Not sure how much help this response is now but I did some work experience at UBS a couple of years ago and found it to be a really lovely firm. Everybody made me feel so welcome, people were happy to help if I got stuck/lost and just generally really friendly (which I really didn't expect as sometimes bankers don't get the best rep!) Although investment banking was not the career path for me (I'm a bit crap with numbers ngl) it's still a great firm and you'll learn loads. Sure- you'll work long hours/probably find it challenging and a fast paced environment- but you'll come out with some top quality experience! Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending