The Student Room Group

Reoccurring tonsillitis

So for about 4 years I’ve been getting chronic tonsillitis, this year I’ve basically had it every other month sometimes monthly without fail and it makes me feel so I’ll

I have told my doctor every time I have it and they recognise it’s a problem but say they don’t remove tonsils anymore or unless it’s urgent like I feel it’s pretty bad I get it every month and always feel very unwell when I have it

I always get it on the right side lately not the left but my left one is always inflamed but doesn’t hurt only the right one hurts to swallow but isn’t inflamed, sometimes they both hurt
It hurts all down the right side of my neck and makes me feel very nauseous and sore throat and just Generally very tired n unwell

Does anyone else suffer from this and maybe have tips on how to prevent it ? Or help the symptoms as nothing helps only paracetamol and I’m sick of taking it
Original post by Anonymous
So for about 4 years I’ve been getting chronic tonsillitis, this year I’ve basically had it every other month sometimes monthly without fail and it makes me feel so I’ll

I have told my doctor every time I have it and they recognise it’s a problem but say they don’t remove tonsils anymore or unless it’s urgent like I feel it’s pretty bad I get it every month and always feel very unwell when I have it

I always get it on the right side lately not the left but my left one is always inflamed but doesn’t hurt only the right one hurts to swallow but isn’t inflamed, sometimes they both hurt
It hurts all down the right side of my neck and makes me feel very nauseous and sore throat and just Generally very tired n unwell

Does anyone else suffer from this and maybe have tips on how to prevent it ? Or help the symptoms as nothing helps only paracetamol and I’m sick of taking it

Hey there,
I'm sorry to hear about your reoccurring tonsillitis. I know my boyfriend suffers from the condition frequently, and you are correct, they are so difficult to have them removed. I know the average timeline for being eligible for a tonsillectomy is around 7 times in 12 months, or 5 times a year, for 2 years in a row. Although, with the pandemic, and numerous surgeries only just being rescheduled from last year, I am pretty sure that even getting onto a list may be more difficult than previous years.

Although, feel free to contact your local pharmacy, or pharmacist. I am not too educated on what their prescribing limits are, but I am fairly confident that there may be a pharmacist that can prescribe some antibiotics, or encourage the use of some anti inflammatory medications for when you get your flare ups.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Yeah they will only do this if necessary nowadays for removing them.

How do you stop recurrent tonsillitis.......
Tonsillitis home remedies
drink plenty of fluids.
get lots of rest.
gargle with warm salt water several times a day.
use throat lozenges.
eat popsicles or other frozen foods.
use a humidifier to moisten the air in your home.
avoid smoke.
take acetaminophen or ibuprofen to reduce pain and inflammation.

How do you treat recurrent tonsillitis.........
Home remedies
Get lots of rest.
Drink warm or very cold fluids to help with throat pain.
Eat smooth foods, such as flavored gelatins, ice cream, and applesauce.
Use a cool-mist vaporizer or humidifier in your room.
Gargle with warm salt water.
Suck on lozenges with benzocaine or other medications to numb your throat.

*********************††*

Tonsillitis
Tonsillitis is an infection of the tonsils at the back of your throat. It is a common childhood illness, but teenagers and adults can get it too.

Check if you have tonsillitis
Tonsillitis can feel like a bad cold or flu. The tonsils at the back of your throat will be red and swollen.

The main symptoms in children and adults are:

a sore throat
problems swallowing
a high temperature of 38C or above
coughing
a headache
feeling sick
earache
feeling tired
Sometimes the symptoms can be more severe and include:

swollen, painful glands in your neck (feels like a lump on the side of your neck)
white pus-filled spots on your tonsils
bad breath
What tonsils with pus-filled spots can look like
If you're not sure it's tonsillitis
Look at other sore throat symptoms.

How long tonsillitis lasts
Symptoms will usually go away after 3 to 4 days.

Tonsillitis is not contagious, but most of the infections that cause it are, for example, colds and flu.

To stop these infections spreading:

stay off work or keep your child at home until you or your child feel better
use tissues when you cough or sneeze and throw them away
wash your hands after coughing or sneezing
How to treat tonsillitis yourself
Tonsillitis usually gets better on its own after a few days.

To help treat the symptoms:

get plenty of rest
drink cool drinks to soothe the throat
take paracetamol or ibuprofen (do not give aspirin to children under 16)
gargle with warm salty water (children should not try this)
How to gargle with salty water
A pharmacist can help with tonsillitis
Speak to a pharmacist about tonsillitis.

They can give advice and suggest treatments, like:
lozenges
throat sprays
antiseptic solutions

What happens at your GP appointment
A doctor can usually tell it's tonsillitis by asking about your symptoms and looking at the back of your throat.

You may also need:
a swab test to see if bacteria are causing your tonsillitis (a cotton bud is used to wipe the back of your throat)
a blood test for glandular fever if symptoms are severe or will not go away
You should get any test results back within 2 or 3 days.

Treatment from a GP
Treatment will depend on what caused your tonsillitis:

most children and adults get viral tonsillitis (caused by a virus), which clears up on its own
for bacterial tonsillitis (caused by bacteria), a GP may prescribe antibiotics
A GP will usually wait for the test results to tell which type you have.

Surgery to remove your tonsils
It's very rare that someone needs to have their tonsils taken out.
This is usually only the case if you have severe tonsillitis that keeps coming back.

Causes of tonsillitis
Tonsillitis is usually caused by a virus, such as a cold, but it can also be due to a bacterial infection such as strep throat.

Complications with tonsillitis (quinsy)
Complications with tonsillitis are very rare.

Sometimes you can get a pocket filled with pus (abscess) between your tonsils and the wall of your throat. This is called quinsy.
Have you tried Difflam spray? I use it when paracetamol and ibuprofen are not doing the trick. I'm afraid I don't have much advice on preventing it though.
Yes, should have to...
Reply 5
Hey there,
I'm sorry to hear about your reoccurring tonsillitis. I know my boyfriend suffers from the condition frequently, and you are correct, they are so difficult to have them removed. I know the average timeline for being eligible for a tonsillectomy is around 7 times in 12 months, or 5 times a year, for 2 years in a row. Although, with the pandemic, and numerous surgeries only just being rescheduled from last year, I am pretty sure that even getting onto a list may be more difficult than previous years.

Although, feel free to contact your local pharmacy, or pharmacist. I am not too educated on what their prescribing limits are, but I am fairly confident that there may be a pharmacist that can prescribe some antibiotics, or encourage the use of some anti inflammatory medications for when you get your flare ups.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Thanks for your reply and yes i was meant to get them removed but it got cancelled and o never heard from them again about 2 years back :frown: I’m just so fed up it makes me feel so ****ing I’ll and I get it too much
Thanks for your reply and yes i was meant to get them removed but it got cancelled and o never heard from them again about 2 years back :frown: I’m just so fed up it makes me feel so ****ing I’ll and I get it too much

Has your GP clarified what exactly would meet the criteria for urgent surgery? If they had previously said you need surgery and then messed up with rearranging your appointment, perhaps they would consider it again now if you are having infections so often?

Quick Reply

Latest