The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Medicine 2022 entry interviews discussion

All discussed interview Qs from last year's thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...2&d=1609884474
Thanks to the amazing @becausethenight

All discussed interview Qs from this year’s thread, all credit to the wonderful and splendid https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Bvc6Ak7yWWGHEDeROWCYjkZtKj53iP0YTWeYLldNEp4/edit?usp=sharing

Discussion for generic interview tips and questions. For specific medical schools, go to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6410398

Do not discuss specific questions, tests, or any other details regarding interviews or MMIs. (1) It is against TSR rules and most likely the med schools' rules, and (2) it is in your advantage not to share, because you will be giving your "competitors" an advantage.

Please quote me if you wanted any advice. I will periodically pop in to give helpful tips and general feedback as the interview cycle goes on.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Which unis will do face to face/online interviews?
On line
Birmingham.
Cambridge.
Manchester.
Oxford.
Plymouth
Sheffield
Newcastle

Hybrid
Imperial

Still planning F2F
Nottingham/Lincoln
ARU

Thanks for the list @TCL!

@GANFYD’s incredible list of top interview resources:

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A_J_B
All discussed interview Qs from last year's thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...2&d=1609884474

Discussion for generic interview tips and questions. For specific medical schools, go to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6410398

Do not discuss specific questions, tests, or any other details regarding interviews or MMIs. (1) It is against TSR rules and most likely the med schools' rules, and (2) it is in your advantage not to share, because you will be giving your "competitors" an advantage.

Please quote me if you wanted any advice. I will periodically pop in to give helpful tips and general feedback as the interview cycle goes on.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Cheers for starting this :smile:
hi guys, im not sure where to start with interviews. where can i build my general knowledge of medicine other than reading the news? i have the isc medical book but i'd like to invest in another resource. any suggestions?
Reply 3
Original post by medicalmentality
hi guys, im not sure where to start with interviews. where can i build my general knowledge of medicine other than reading the news? i have the isc medical book but i'd like to invest in another resource. any suggestions?

theMSAG has a free online interview course which is basically a series of video lectures-was free when I did them
The Medic Portal has a interview questionbank with bullet points for each answer
Original post by A_J_B
theMSAG has a free online interview course which is basically a series of video lectures-was free when I did them
The Medic Portal has a interview questionbank with bullet points for each answer

thank you v much :smile:
Hi, do you think interviews will be held virtually or in person this year??
Original post by unknownviewer
Hi, do you think interviews will be held virtually or in person this year??

Likely to depend on the med school - I think one or two have confirmed virtual and most are holding out for in person being possible.
Original post by becausethenight
Likely to depend on the med school - I think one or two have confirmed virtual and most are holding out for in person being possible.

which unis said they were doing virtual?
Original post by prab123889
which unis said they were doing virtual?

I don’t remember, but I will have heard it on here, so read through the threads or look on websites!
in a roleplay situation how would I explain what time a patient has to take their medicine if the patient doesnt speak english? all i can think of is speaking slowly, using hand movements and body language, any other ideas?
in a roleplay situation how would I explain what time a patient has to take their medicine if the patient doesnt speak english? all i can think of is speaking slowly, using hand movements and body language, any other ideas?

How confident are you that those methods will allow the patient to take their medication safely?

What other services might be helpful here?

:smile:
Original post by Democracy
How confident are you that those methods will allow the patient to take their medication safely?

What other services might be helpful here?

:smile:

hmm maybe a professional translator, if not a family/friend who could help translate? then again i dont know how id introduce that to the roleplay. id try speaking in simple terms with hand gestures, so if the patient had to take 1 pill a day i'd put one finger up to gesture the number one, then i'd point at the pill and then at my mouth to signal i have to eat 1 pill. but still even with hand gestures and speaking slowly i have no clue how id full explain the benefits and risks of the treatment (assuming theres no translator) :frown:
hmm maybe a professional translator, if not a family/friend who could help translate? then again i dont know how id introduce that to the roleplay. id try speaking in simple terms with hand gestures, so if the patient had to take 1 pill a day i'd put one finger up to gesture the number one, then i'd point at the pill and then at my mouth to signal i have to eat 1 pill. but still even with hand gestures and speaking slowly i have no clue how id full explain the benefits and risks of the treatment (assuming theres no translator) :frown:

Lol, I mean, it sounds like a pretty daft roleplay in that case. Has this scenario been made up for interview practice or has it actually been used by universities?

My intial thoughts were professional translation services (telephone or in person) or, less ideally, a family member or friend.

You could also suggest printing a patient information leaflet in the patient's language.

If all of the above are simply not possible and the scenario hinges solely on what you can do with zero language support, then I suppose miming is the only remaining option, but I certainly wouldn't view that as safe practice.
Original post by A_J_B

@A_J_B when i open this word document it references pages? Is there a book or something which it should be used in conjunction with? Thank you :-)
Reply 14
Original post by Disneypls
@A_J_B when i open this word document it references pages? Is there a book or something which it should be used in conjunction with? Thank you :-)

Those page numbers correspond to the section where you can find the question (for example page 34 means you would find the question and its subsequent discussion on page 34 of last year's thread)
The word document has some great questions but I can't seem to find the interview thread from last year. Can anyone post the link?
Should we start preparing for interviews now?
Original post by Democracy
Lol, I mean, it sounds like a pretty daft roleplay in that case. Has this scenario been made up for interview practice or has it actually been used by universities?

My intial thoughts were professional translation services (telephone or in person) or, less ideally, a family member or friend.

You could also suggest printing a patient information leaflet in the patient's language.

If all of the above are simply not possible and the scenario hinges solely on what you can do with zero language support, then I suppose miming is the only remaining option, but I certainly wouldn't view that as safe practice.

yes its v weird, its from medic mind tho, apparently it was one of the recent mmi stations for one of my unis
https://prnt.sc/1uwt6kw
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Remote17
The word document has some great questions but I can't seem to find the interview thread from last year. Can anyone post the link?

Google is your friend!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6748260
Does anyone know if you get the interview questions prior to your interview? Are there certain Med schools that do this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending