The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine Route

I am a Sixth Form student, who didn't get the ideal grades I would of hoped for, which had led me to chose BTECS and not A-Levels like Chemistry/Biology etc. Which meant I couldn't do medicine initallity after Sixth Form

I recently heard about the graduate entry medicine course and some courses consider science/non science 2.1 degrees, For most of my teen years I was interested in Psychology/Medicine, but clearly I can't do Medicine at the moment, so it seems like I will take Psychology at Uni, If I was to get a 2.1 or a 1st degree, what would that mean for my hopes of the graduate entry medicine course, would it give me an advantage since it is Psychology? Could I choose clinical psychology and they would still count as a science subject? Please let me know on the factors like this and the entrance exams, so I can see my chances

Scroll to see replies

I am not, My main aspiration was a Clinical Psychologist, but when I heard the graduate entry medicine course, I thought I could improve skills with the course and become a psychiatrist. I know how slim the acceptance rate for the course is
My initial plan was to do the psychology degree, and since you need a 1 year work experience gap between the psychology course and the doctorate, I would apply for the medicine then, therefore if my medicine course gets turned down, I still have my psychology route still avaliable, then I guess from then on I keep applying every year to a different uni or the same uni, while doing the doctorate
(edited 2 years ago)
I do like neuroscience a canny bit aswell, what do you think would be the best degree to stand out in medicine between neuroscience and psychology. When the uni look through people's degrees, like I would assume they would pick neuroscience over computer science, as neuroscience is clearly more in depth. Another question also, do you think it would increase or decrease my chance of graduate medicine entry if I go with the clinical psychology course instead of the psychology course
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ForgottenChav
I do like neuroscience a canny bit aswell, what do you think would be the best degree to stand out in medicine between neuroscience and psychology. When the uni look through people's degrees, like I would assume they would pick neuroscience over computer science, as neuroscience is clearly more in depth. Another question also, do you think it would increase or decrease my chance of graduate medicine entry if I go with the clinical psychology course instead of the psychology course

Some unis do not count psychology as a bio/science degree btw which can limit GEM university options e.g. KCL do not accept psychology.
If you meet the degree discipline criteria (if a university even has one as some do not) then no, a university will not pick your degree over someone else's potentially less relevant to medicine degree.
Choosing clinical psychology over psychology won't increase or decrease your chances, choosing a degree instead of going straight into medicine as a school leaver will decrease your chances of medicine though.
I did Biochemistry, I'm reapplying for GEM yet again. There are English, Music, Psychology graduates etc who got in for GEM on first/second time applying and I would have assumed my Biochemistry degree is more scientifically relevant to medicine.

Honestly you'd be better off taking a gap year (or two) and taking A-levels or an Access to Medicine course (provided it's acceptable by the medical schools you want to apply to). It's statistically easier to get in to standard entry medicine than GEM, and even taking two years out to take A-levels would lead you to qualify as a doctor in the same time or faster than doing a degree - it would also be much cheaper (you do not receive full funding for medicine as a graduate).

GEM courses don't care about your degree subject outside of a tick box exercise, if applicable. Some require a bioscience course, if you have one you tick that box - they don't care whether you did plant sciences or biomedical sciences in that case. Some require a STEM degree in general - they won't care if you did physics or physiology then. Some have no specific degree requirements, in which case they won't care if you did comparative literature or underwater basket weaving. Doing X degree or Y degree won't increase your chances of getting an offer provided that the degree is accepted in the first place by the GEM course you're applying to.
(edited 2 years ago)
Thank you all for your help, It has made me think a lot, I may just take psychology, biomedical sciences or neuroscience, It has always been a dream of mine to be a doctor, follow in my dads footsteps, but he was way smarter than me in college compared to me haha, anyways I will try the degree that will give me the best chance of going to Graduate Entry Medicine
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Thank you all for your help, It has made me think a lot, I may just take psychology, biomedical sciences or neuroscience, It has always been a dream of mine to be a doctor, follow in my dads footsteps, but he was way smarter than me in college compared to me haha, anyways I will try the degree that will give me the best chance of going to Graduate Entry Medicine

's advice was literally the exact opposite of what you've now decided on.
No particular degree will give you the best chance of going to Graduate Entry Medicine.
It doesn't matter if you take psychology, biomed or neuroscience.
I am a Sixth Form student, who didn't get the ideal grades I would of hoped for, which had led me to chose BTECS and not A-Levels like Chemistry/Biology etc. Which meant I couldn't do medicine initallity after Sixth Form

I recently heard about the graduate entry medicine course and some courses consider science/non science 2.1 degrees, For most of my teen years I was interested in Psychology/Medicine, but clearly I can't do Medicine at the moment, so it seems like I will take Psychology at Uni, If I was to get a 2.1 or a 1st degree, what would that mean for my hopes of the graduate entry medicine course, would it give me an advantage since it is Psychology? Could I choose clinical psychology and they would still count as a science subject? Please let me know on the factors like this and the entrance exams, so I can see my chances

as has already been said, GEM is not an easy route. I'd look into foundation courses instead - I'm not sure what exactly you're currently studying but I believe some are aimed at people with good grades in arts subjects, and some at people with poorer grades in science subjects. Usually they guarantee entry onto medicine after (successful completion of) the foundation year, which is definitely preferable to 3 year degree + 4 year GEM (assuming you get straight in and don't have to do multiple application cycles like many people do!)

if this is the route you're thinking of taking, maybe consider Swansea - they give preferential treatment to grads who have completed one of these (https://www.swansea.ac.uk/medicine/pathways/) courses when they apply for GEM. Some other unis may also do this or have other forms of giving preferential treatment (e.g. Southamption graduates in any discipline have lower UCAT thresholds when applying for GEM).
exactly! I'm applying to GEM at the moment having had an incredibly stressful year trying to balance grad studies, working, volunteering, work experience & prepping for the GAMSAT and UCAT... wish I could shake anyone that thinks applying for medicine will be easier at 21+ when you have more responsibilities (and are applying for a far far more competitive course) than at 18!

I also want to note for OP that he options I gave about Swansea and Southampton still aren't ideal - they only give you slightly lower entrance exam thresholds, so you still have to perform well, and 100% have to impress at interview. For most grad courses (inc. Swansea), you also have to do the GAMSAT which is immensely harder than the UCAT - some people take a whole year out of their other commitments to prepare for it.
My initial plan was to do the psychology degree, and since you need a 1 year work experience gap between the psychology course and the doctorate, I would apply for the medicine then, therefore if my medicine course gets turned down, I still have my psychology route still avaliable, then I guess from then on I keep applying every year to a different uni or the same uni, while doing the doctorate

I think you are seriously underestimating the competitiveness of a clinical psychology doctorate. I know the doctoral courses say you need a minimum of a year's relevant work experience to be eligible to apply, but the truth is that the vast majority of candidates will have much more than that. There are also extra selection tests involved for many courses, similar to UCAT. The DClinPsy is statistically as competitive as medicine, but you're making it sound as if you don't get into GEM, you're certain to get on the DClinPsy. It always baffles me when students who didn't meet the A-level requirements talk this way, as though getting the high admissions scores needed for GEM or doing doctoral-level work in psychology is somehow going to be easier and more feasible than A-level resits. Have you researched both professions in depth? At the moment you seem to think a psychiatrist is a more highly trained version of a psychologist, so before you make further plans, I think you need to gain a more realistic understanding of what they both do day to day. Then you'll have a stronger sense of what to aim for.

To be honest, I sometimes wonder how many people who say this are actually really keen to do med, and how many are just entertaining a daydream that they wouldn't actually want in reality. In my daydreams I'd love to run a horse riding centre. In reality I know I wouldn't want that as my day job, which is why I'm not taking practical steps to achieve it. Retaking A-levels is the obvious thing to do if you really want to study medicine, whereas focusing on GEM is a way to keep it safely in daydream territory, with all the difficulties at a safe remove.

Hi, I have just finished doing my undergrad in Biomedical Science which many people do to get into medicine. I originally did with the aims of going to medicine which is still a ambition of mine. But my advice to you if I was in your shoes is do a degree that is related to medicine but can get you a job. The reason I say this is that after completing a degree it doesn't make it any easier for you getting into medicine. Grad medicine is a lot more competitive than undergraduate but if anything if I could back in time I would either do a degree that I know I could get a job straight away for example like pharmacy, nursing, midwifery etc. But as I have limited knowledge regarding the job possibilities after psychology I would say do your research and just make sure you are ok with doing it as you may not get into medicine straight away. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and please do not stress about it, there are many options out there just think about it carefully.

I'd say neurophysiology. I sat in with one for a day and I'd say it's like a mixture of neuroscience in a healthcare setting.

If the Uni did not specify life sciences courses or the course is not in their exclusion criteria (some uni's do not accept particular courses) then whatever you did likely doesn't matter at all, since they didn't feel the need to specifically say so (but maybe when it comes to studying the content, some may have more familiarity). There are plenty of arts and engineering graduates who are pursuing medicine.
It's more what you learnt from it, how well you performed academically (getting a 2:1 or 1st), amount of work experience you have with people in a care setting and scoring highly on the admissions tests like the UCAT/GAMSAT. Even if you tick all the minimum boxes, it's still very competitive.

Also, before you worry about any of this. Are you sure sure you can't do A levels? Ideally both chem and bio but at least even one would help?
Original post by gemplzx
as has already been said, GEM is not an easy route. I'd look into foundation courses instead - I'm not sure what exactly you're currently studying but I believe some are aimed at people with good grades in arts subjects, and some at people with poorer grades in science subjects. Usually they guarantee entry onto medicine after (successful completion of) the foundation year, which is definitely preferable to 3 year degree + 4 year GEM (assuming you get straight in and don't have to do multiple application cycles like many people do!)

No, some university only accept sciences like neuroscience, therefore there are more options to cover
Original post by Satori Tendō
I'd say neurophysiology. I sat in with one for a day and I'd say it's like a mixture of neuroscience in a healthcare setting.

If the Uni did not specify life sciences courses or the course is not in their exclusion criteria (some uni's do not accept particular courses) then whatever you did likely doesn't matter at all, since they didn't feel the need to specifically say so (but maybe when it comes to studying the content, some may have more familiarity). There are plenty of arts and engineering graduates who are pursuing medicine.
It's more what you learnt from it, how well you performed academically (getting a 2:1 or 1st), amount of work experience you have with people in a care setting and scoring highly on the admissions tests like the UCAT/GAMSAT. Even if you tick all the minimum boxes, it's still very competitive.

Also, before you worry about any of this. Are you sure sure you can't do A levels? Ideally both chem and bio but at least even one would help?

Sadly not, I had to do BTEC because I got a 4 in English language, was kinda stumped from then on
Original post by Maams_xo
Hi, I have just finished doing my undergrad in Biomedical Science which many people do to get into medicine. I originally did with the aims of going to medicine which is still a ambition of mine. But my advice to you if I was in your shoes is do a degree that is related to medicine but can get you a job. The reason I say this is that after completing a degree it doesn't make it any easier for you getting into medicine. Grad medicine is a lot more competitive than undergraduate but if anything if I could back in time I would either do a degree that I know I could get a job straight away for example like pharmacy, nursing, midwifery etc. But as I have limited knowledge regarding the job possibilities after psychology I would say do your research and just make sure you are ok with doing it as you may not get into medicine straight away. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and please do not stress about it, there are many options out there just think about it carefully.

Thank you for your advice and words of wisdom, means a lot, I will think carefully
Original post by Incidentaloma
I think you are seriously underestimating the competitiveness of a clinical psychology doctorate. I know the doctoral courses say you need a minimum of a year's relevant work experience to be eligible to apply, but the truth is that the vast majority of candidates will have much more than that. There are also extra selection tests involved for many courses, similar to UCAT. The DClinPsy is statistically as competitive as medicine, but you're making it sound as if you don't get into GEM, you're certain to get on the DClinPsy. It always baffles me when students who didn't meet the A-level requirements talk this way, as though getting the high admissions scores needed for GEM or doing doctoral-level work in psychology is somehow going to be easier and more feasible than A-level resits. Have you researched both professions in depth? At the moment you seem to think a psychiatrist is a more highly trained version of a psychologist, so before you make further plans, I think you need to gain a more realistic understanding of what they both do day to day. Then you'll have a stronger sense of what to aim for.

To be honest, I sometimes wonder how many people who say this are actually really keen to do med, and how many are just entertaining a daydream that they wouldn't actually want in reality. In my daydreams I'd love to run a horse riding centre. In reality I know I wouldn't want that as my day job, which is why I'm not taking practical steps to achieve it. Retaking A-levels is the obvious thing to do if you really want to study medicine, whereas focusing on GEM is a way to keep it safely in daydream territory, with all the difficulties at

I am not saying psychiatry is above psychology or clinical psychology, I'm saying the experience from that psychology degree will most likely give me the most experience into aa medical field like psychiatry compared to a person who studies in emergency medicine for example, I may like psychiatry more because it links back to psychology
Reply 18
No, some university only accept sciences like neuroscience, therefore there are more options to cover

This doesn't mean you are any more likely to get in
Your degree type has no weight on the shortlisting for interview if you meet their degree requirement of 2:1+ and bio/science discipline or 2:1 and no specific degree discipline

Your options will be far more limited based on your entrance exam scores than degree type
(edited 2 years ago)
I am not saying psychiatry is above psychology or clinical psychology, I'm saying the experience from that psychology degree will most likely give me the most experience into aa medical field like psychiatry compared to a person who studies in emergency medicine for example, I may like psychiatry more because it links back to psychology

Emergency medicine has an enormous psychological component, not only because of the large number of mental health patients who are seen in A&E (there is a whole subspecialty of psychiatry dedicated to seeing them), but because serious or unknown physical illness/injury can put people under a lot of stress and change their behaviour. I got a job in A&E because I wanted exposure to another side of medicine, but I quickly discovered that I hadn't moved as far from CAMHS as I expected. :smile: This is the sort of thing I meant when I suggested more research. Choose one thing to focus on, medicine or clin psych, because they are different but equally competitive professions and one is not a natural backup for the other.

Quick Reply

Latest