The Student Room Group

the less i sleep i get, the happier i feel

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by NonIndigenous
I noticed one day that the less I would eat, the better I felt. Now I eat a regular 2000 calories a day on average, and I look like a normal person. It's amazing.

haha, yeah i get it. eating too much just makes me feel dirty af
Original post by londonmyst
I've only drunk a few sips of high energy drinks on a few occassions and had dreadful chest pains every times.
Probably because I have dietary allergies that include artificial sugar substitutes.

I'm the same weight I was as a 13 year old and mostly stick to a daily calorie restriction of 750-950 calories.
Mostly through controlling my diet, homecooking twice daily meals from scratch and restricting portion sizes.
Only meats I eat are chicken and beef.
I wondered if you had any similar habits as regards dietary lifestyle.

i typically have cereal + milk/yogurt for breakfast, something with lots of veggies for dinners e.g. a salad + sweet potatoes. veg pasta/spaghetti.or like veg pizza or burgers (i'm vegetarian). oh and 2 snacks a day like a smoothies or some chocolate or crisps or a yogurt
Original post by black tea
Totally. Always thought people were joking when they talked about treating depression with lack of sleep but yeah, it totally can work - I feel absolutely euphoric if I don't sleep for a night.

yeah, it was nice
too bad my body just couldn't cope anymore
Original post by Ciel.
i experienced like the worst heart palpitations ever yesterday, and now my boyfriend won't allow me to get any more red bulls and monsters :<
i mean, not really? most people think i eat very little tho, when i tell them what i eat in a day. why?

Your boyfriend is clearly looking out for your best interests. It may have been a hard way to find out, but you do at least now know that this is not a solution. Unfortunately no one can tell you what the solution is, but I think you can do worse than look at what @londonmyst suggested and almost experiment with your diet. Cut certain things out and see what difference it makes. You can have a healthy diet and still be consuming something that isn't working for you.
Sleep deprivation can actually be used as a treatment for depression. Google it.

(Before anyone says, I am not suggesting anyone does this without advice from a doctor, I just think it's interesting)

I wouldn't use the word 'treatment' there. It has been shown that sleep deprivation can lift mood in people suffering with depression. That's not in dispute; the whole basis of this thread is that Ciel experienced it. But as 'treatment' it is very temporary. For that benefit, which I entirely accept would be notable in those who suffer with significant depressive symptoms, the damage that is caused by the lack of sleep is just far more significant even in the short term. In the medium to long term it is entirely unsustainable.
Reply 22
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Your boyfriend is clearly looking out for your best interests. It may have been a hard way to find out, but you do at least now know that this is not a solution. Unfortunately no one can tell you what the solution is, but I think you can do worse than look at what @londonmyst suggested and almost experiment with your diet. Cut certain things out and see what difference it makes. You can have a healthy diet and still be consuming something that isn't working for you.

I wouldn't use the word 'treatment' there. It has been shown that sleep deprivation can lift mood in people suffering with depression. That's not in dispute; the whole basis of this thread is that Ciel experienced it. But as 'treatment' it is very temporary. For that benefit, which I entirely accept would be notable in those who suffer with significant depressive symptoms, the damage that is caused by the lack of sleep is just far more significant even in the short term. In the medium to long term it is entirely unsustainable.

there''s little i could cut out from my diet tbh, i mostly just eat fruit and veg and yogurts etc. but yeah it was nice while it lasted.. now i'm just as depressed as before tho, lol. so yeah, not a long term solution

I used the word treatment because some psychiatrists do use it as a treatment for certain types of depression.
I used the word treatment because some psychiatrists do use it as a treatment for certain types of depression.

That's fair. And as part of a plan drawn up by an expert (I say 'part of' because it can't be used day after day; your body has an unavoidable need for sleep) that's fine. What I wanted to avoid is people looking at this thread, seeing that sleep deprivation can be used as treatment for depression, and then giving it a go themselves. As I've said, the negative effects of lack of sleep are wide ranging and undeniable. If anyone is considering using something like sleep deprivation as treatment for depression, it needs to be done on the advice of an expert and not because of something that they've read on an online forum. Not that I'm saying that's what you suggested, because you didn't. I'm just covering the bases.
That's fair. And as part of a plan drawn up by an expert (I say 'part of' because it can't be used day after day; your body has an unavoidable need for sleep) that's fine. What I wanted to avoid is people looking at this thread, seeing that sleep deprivation can be used as treatment for depression, and then giving it a go themselves. As I've said, the negative effects of lack of sleep are wide ranging and undeniable. If anyone is considering using something like sleep deprivation as treatment for depression, it needs to be done on the advice of an expert and not because of something that they've read on an online forum. Not that I'm saying that's what you suggested, because you didn't. I'm just covering the bases.

Precisely why I said it shouldn't be done without advice from a doctor :smile:
Original post by Ciel.
surprisingly, it turns out that i function on just a few hours of sleep a day, with the help of energy drinks. and i feel better than ever. i feel way less depressed than before, and mood just keeps improving.

it's weird but it works. i used to sleep 10-15h a day. 10/10 recommend if anyone is struggling with depression

Some say sleeping too much can cause depression and a low mood, maybe you’re right.
Your body might not need a lot of hours of rest to recuperate.
If I sleep too much, I feel lazy all day and don’t feel like doing anything.
Original post by Rileybr2356
Some say sleeping too much can cause depression and a low mood, maybe you’re right.
Your body might not need a lot of hours of rest to recuperate.
If I sleep too much, I feel lazy all day and don’t feel like doing anything.

Adults broadly need between 7 and 9 hours sleep a night. If you regularly sleep in excess of that you could have underlying issues, but the sleep may well be a symptom of it and not the cause of it. You'd need to undergo medical tests to figure that out. There are people who can fully operate on less than 7 hours sleep - there is an actual medical condition that means you don't need as much sleep as the average person - but that condition is incredibly rare. The overwhelming majority of people who do not think that they need 7 hours sleep are wrong about that.

Quick Reply

Latest