The Student Room Group

University of Plymouth A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minulipremadasa
Wow that's really helpful thank you!

How do you calculate the score that you mentioned?

The scoring process at interview is a closed process, but Plymouth published the criteria/qualities they were looking for ahead of the interview. How they award a score was not shared, just the threshold for offer.
The interview was a virtual 5 Stn MMI
hi i have exceeded the gcse requirements, and have achieved A-levels of A*AA. However my ucat score is 2470 band 1. should I apply for plymouth?
Original post by musab_101
hi i have exceeded the gcse requirements, and have achieved A-levels of A*AA. However my ucat score is 2470 band 1. should I apply for plymouth?

I would be inclined to write them an e-mail. During last year's cycle they were very helpful. You simply need to judge by how much the threshold will rise from 2400 last year - they may tell you, they may not. No harm in asking.

[email protected]
Original post by medprincess
In order for us all to be able to make more informed decisions, EVERYONE LIST YOUR PREDCITIONS FOR WHAT PLYMOUTH'S CUT-OFF WILL BE THIS YEAR:

I'll start: 2500

its unlikely it will be that high for plymouth?
Original post by lunariumxo

I really hope so but most people think their cut-off will increase this year
Original post by Macdeez44
If you are talking about UCAT I think 2610. Just a guess lol

ooof I hope not
Original post by GANFYD
How does a group of people with no inside knowledge and no experience of med school admissions guessing a number help inform anyone?

Sorry I think I am just panicking.
(edited 2 years ago)
I really hope so but most people think their cut-off will increase this year

you and me both hope so :frown: but its unlikely they will increase the score by a 100 it just seems off , but i'm quite annoyed at how this years came out higher when the predictions said it would be lower ? like are yall scoring this high sigh
They say this on their website: 'The Admissions Advisory Panel reserve the right to consider all aspects of the UCAT when shortlisting for interview.'. The page is here:
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bmbs-bachelor-of-medicine-bachelor-of-surgery/entry-requirements

Original post by Macdeez44
Help!
I meet GCSE requirements (just)
Predicted A*AA or possibly A*A*A
2700 band 4😭
Personal statement is alright…..

Has anyone applied in a similar situation? I emailed about my band 4 and I got a response saying its not used in weighting.
Also does anyone else get anxiety about this stuff and all the unknown especially with Covid..?

you and me both hope so :frown: but its unlikely they will increase the score by a 100 it just seems off , but i'm quite annoyed at how this years came out higher when the predictions said it would be lower ? like are yall scoring this high sigh

But this year, plymouth said they wouldn't pre-publish the UCAT threshold, so wouldn't this mean many applicants will be deterred from applying, resulting in fewer applications overall? Therefore the overall UCAT cut-off shouldn't increase crazily right? I agree that a jump of 100+ seems huge, especially since their previous cut-offs were consistently 2390, 2400, 2330, etc.

Obviously anything could happen but it's just a thought - I might be missing very important considerations. Does anyone else agree/disagree?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 71
But this year, plymouth said they wouldn't pre-publish the UCAT threshold, so wouldn't this mean many applicants will be deterred from applying, resulting in fewer applications overall? Therefore the overall UCAT cut-off shouldn't increase crazily right? I agree that a jump of 100+ seems huge, especially since their previous cut-offs were consistently 2390, 2400, 2330, etc.

Obviously anything could happen but it's just a thought - I might be missing very important considerations. Does anyone else agree/disagree?

Nowhere else prepublishes cut offs, so not sure why that would put people off applying? Plymouth is generally known to have lower cut-offs than most places. Glasgow has had an RUK cut-off of 2680 for several years, but went up to 2830 last year. Newcastle has had a similar cut off for several years but jumped by nearly 100 points last year.
hey guys I'm an international student taking a gap year and I'm thinking of applying to plymouth
my ib score was 40 with 776 for my bio, geo and chem hl and my ucat score was 2710 b2
would it be smart to consider plymouth?

thanks
Original post by becausethenight
Oh dear, looks like it's going to go up... :cry:
I suspect they will not use the A* in shortlisting, then, as they can simply rank people and pick the X people with highest UCATs?

what other unis use A* for cutting down applicants, except for the Scottish ones
In order for us all to be able to make more informed decisions, EVERYONE LIST YOUR PREDCITIONS FOR WHAT PLYMOUTH'S CUT-OFF WILL BE THIS YEAR:

I'll start: 2500

Original post by taxonomy.

Reply 76
Does Plymouth use GCSEs in their selection process, or just A levels and UCAT? Also, does having achieved grades change anything?

I'm in my gap year and I did well in my UCAT (2850 b1) but am still considering applying to a "safer" uni, however, I know that the lower ucat ones tend to look at GCSEs more.
Original post by YRK01
Does Plymouth use GCSEs in their selection process, or just A levels and UCAT? Also, does having achieved grades change anything?

I'm in my gap year and I did well in my UCAT (2850 b1) but am still considering applying to a "safer" uni, however, I know that the lower ucat ones tend to look at GCSEs more.

As long as you meet minimum requirements you will be fine! And achieved grades has no advantage
wait would you be more likely to interview at plymouth with A*A*A* predictions compared to A*AA predictions? Assuming all subjects are sciences.
wait would you be more likely to interview at plymouth with A*A*A* predictions compared to A*AA predictions? Assuming all subjects are sciences.

Ooh that would be good since I have all A* predictions too but I don’t think so. They basically rank you ucat wise and then last year threw in an A* prediction but not as a bonus, but an academic requirement, so I don’t think so

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending