The Student Room Group

Haram or halal

This isn’t my response but I was really interested in your question so had a search on google to see what I could find.

This is a muslim doctors opinion on the matter:

“Thank you for your question. It is exactly these sorts of questions that make us remember the principles of religious literacy. Islam, like all religions, is not monolithic in nature. It is instead characterized by great internal diversity. Furthermore, Islam is not a person that “says” anything—Muslims say and do things, not Islam.

What becomes very obvious then is that “Islam” as such does not permit or prohibit cosmetic or gender-reassignment surgery. Instead, it is individual Muslims who have various opinions about this issue; some religious clerics issue these opinions in the form of fatwas. A fatwa, however, is a legal opinion, and they almost certainly differ from each other, especially on such issues.

The fact that cosmetic and gender-reassignment surgery did not exist in the time of the Prophet Muhammad—or in the early period of Islam for that matter—makes this reality even more apparent.

Opinions on cosmetic surgery vary widely. Some would forbid it outright based on analogical reasoning (qiyas): there are other prohibitions in Islamic texts with regard to “changing God’s creation.” Other religious authorities might completely permit such surgeries: according to the Dhahiri school of thought, for example, anything not specifically and explicitly forbidden in the Qur’an or the Sunnah must be understood to be permitted; with this line of reasoning, I can see how a complete permission would be possible.

However, most Islamic clerics would probably fall in the middle, permitting cosmetic surgery in certain situations. For example, hardly any would oppose a burn victim from getting reconstructive surgery, even if cosmetic in nature. The latitude beyond this would differ, with some even allowing cosmetic surgery to please a spouse.

My personal opinion is that we should move past simplistic understandings of religion that reduce Islam to a simple “halal vs haram,” whereby one can simply input all of life’s questions into a fatwa box—along with the necessary Islamic texts—and then wait for a magic-8 ball result of halal/haram/makruh/mabdub/etc. to be generated out the other end.

Instead, we should think of the Islamic religion as something that calls to piety, humility, and even (a limited degree of) asceticism. From this perspective, I can’t see how getting enough surgery to look like a Barbie could be Islamic or pious. On the other hand, I have no problem with a person seeking to fix a deformity that bothers them and affects their self-esteem, so long as it is not excessive. But, it all depends on the individual and situation—and ultimately, a person has to make the decision for themselves, even if they seek the counsel of those learned in matters of religion. All in all, however, my opinion is not too different than what I stated above: i.e. cosmetic surgery is something to be avoided aside from in a limited number of exceptions“

Haram or halal

This isn’t my response but I was really interested in your question so had a search on google to see what I could find.

This is a muslim doctors opinion on the matter:

“Thank you for your question. It is exactly these sorts of questions that make us remember the principles of religious literacy. Islam, like all religions, is not monolithic in nature. It is instead characterized by great internal diversity. Furthermore, Islam is not a person that “says” anything—Muslims say and do things, not Islam.

What becomes very obvious then is that “Islam” as such does not permit or prohibit cosmetic or gender-reassignment surgery. Instead, it is individual Muslims who have various opinions about this issue; some religious clerics issue these opinions in the form of fatwas. A fatwa, however, is a legal opinion, and they almost certainly differ from each other, especially on such issues.

The fact that cosmetic and gender-reassignment surgery did not exist in the time of the Prophet Muhammad—or in the early period of Islam for that matter—makes this reality even more apparent.

Opinions on cosmetic surgery vary widely. Some would forbid it outright based on analogical reasoning (qiyas): there are other prohibitions in Islamic texts with regard to “changing God’s creation.” Other religious authorities might completely permit such surgeries: according to the Dhahiri school of thought, for example, anything not specifically and explicitly forbidden in the Qur’an or the Sunnah must be understood to be permitted; with this line of reasoning, I can see how a complete permission would be possible.

However, most Islamic clerics would probably fall in the middle, permitting cosmetic surgery in certain situations. For example, hardly any would oppose a burn victim from getting reconstructive surgery, even if cosmetic in nature. The latitude beyond this would differ, with some even allowing cosmetic surgery to please a spouse.

My personal opinion is that we should move past simplistic understandings of religion that reduce Islam to a simple “halal vs haram,” whereby one can simply input all of life’s questions into a fatwa box—along with the necessary Islamic texts—and then wait for a magic-8 ball result of halal/haram/makruh/mabdub/etc. to be generated out the other end.

Instead, we should think of the Islamic religion as something that calls to piety, humility, and even (a limited degree of) asceticism. From this perspective, I can’t see how getting enough surgery to look like a Barbie could be Islamic or pious. On the other hand, I have no problem with a person seeking to fix a deformity that bothers them and affects their self-esteem, so long as it is not excessive. But, it all depends on the individual and situation—and ultimately, a person has to make the decision for themselves, even if they seek the counsel of those learned in matters of religion. All in all, however, my opinion is not too different than what I stated above: i.e. cosmetic surgery is something to be avoided aside from in a limited number of exceptions“
Original post by JasmineAcademic

tbh there is no such thing as personal opinion in Islam, so it doesn't matter what a certain person thinks. and the thing is a normal person without sufficient religious knowledge is not even allowed to state their opinion on matters like this since they're not qualified enough

I'm not a troll btw just stating what I know
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by summerbirdreads
tbh there is no such thing as personal opinion in Islam, so it doesn't matter what a certain person thinks. and the thing is a normal person without sufficient religious knowledge is not even allowed to state their opinion on matters like this since they're not qualified enough

I'm not a troll btw just stating what I know

That’s fine I’m really open to learning about other religions.

The thing I posted above was just a point of view that I found really interesting. I don’t want to act like I know about the Quran or anything just merely interested in the question.

And can I just add it wasn’t by a random unqualified person. This is from Dr J Hasmi, physician and PHD in religion at Harvard University.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending