The Student Room Group

Do people going to Glastonbury actually like the type of headliners on nowadays?

Glastonbury historically used to be a venue for band music and my friends who went there or watched it were basically obsessed with different kinds of guitar bands. Billie Ellish just does not seem like the type of person a typical Glastonbury goer would like, so why is she a headliner at Glastonbury of all places?

Scroll to see replies

better her than Kanye.
I haven't been for a few years - not been successful in the ballot. Generally you don't go to Glasto for the headliners as you don't know who they will be when you buy your ticket.
Reply 2
There is that much stuff there these days that it doesn't really matter
Original post by Johnnava
Glastonbury historically used to be a venue for band music and my friends who went there or watched it were basically obsessed with different kinds of guitar bands. Billie Ellish just does not seem like the type of person a typical Glastonbury goer would like, so why is she a headliner at Glastonbury of all places?

Define 'typical Glastonbury goer'?! In previous years, you've had Oasis, Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello, The White Stripes, Kylie Minogue, JayZ, Stormzy, Neil Young, REM and Skunk Anansie headlining. Draw me a Venn Diagram for that :laugh:
Reply 4
Everyone whinged like **** when Metallica got that gig, it's a lose-lose to half the people commenting - whoever is unveiled
Original post by gjd800
Everyone whinged like **** when Metallica got that gig, it's a lose-lose to half the people commenting - whoever is unveiled

PRSOM - exactly.
I don't see why she wouldn't fit in with Glasto... Isn't Glasto basically just a pop festival now with a few lesser-known acts from varying genres?

I mean, looking at some of the previous line ups in recent history, that's all it seems to be to me. Sure, there's some actual bands that play guitar, but they're the usual pop-rock suspects

If you want a festival with 'guitar bands' Download is what you want since rock is where guitars are featured very heavily.
Because Billie Eillish is mainstream pop and Glastonbury is mainstream pop?
Reply 8
The Pyramid stage might be more pop-orientated, but to say 'Glasto is pop' is really short sighted. They have an insane number of stages with an incredible representation of different art and music - around 30 themed 'areas'
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Define 'typical Glastonbury goer'?! In previous years, you've had Oasis, Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello, The White Stripes, Kylie Minogue, JayZ, Stormzy, Neil Young, REM and Skunk Anansie headlining. Draw me a Venn Diagram for that :laugh:

Still amazed they managed to get Beyonce that one year. Quite a coup for them!
Original post by artful_lounger
Still amazed they managed to get Beyonce that one year. Quite a coup for them!

And she totally brought it :smile:
And she totally brought it :smile:

I can imagine! In the post-Lemonade era though I think Glasto can't afford her anymore however :laugh:
Original post by artful_lounger
I think Glasto can't afford her anymore however :laugh:

haha quite - and particularly not with Michael having to pour milk down the drain because there aren't any tanker drivers to collect it (not that that's anything whatsoever to do with Brexit, of course)
haha quite - and particularly not with Michael having to pour milk down the drain because there aren't any tanker drivers to collect it (not that that's anything whatsoever to do with Brexit, of course)

:biggrin:

Can't have the Europeans enjoying the wonderful cornucopia that is Michaels drain-milk, can we?
Original post by Callicious
Can't have the Europeans enjoying the wonderful cornucopia that is Michaels drain-milk, can we?

:laugh: - quite!
Original post by gjd800
The Pyramid stage might be more pop-orientated, but to say 'Glasto is pop' is really short sighted. They have an insane number of stages with an incredible representation of different art and music - around 30 themed 'areas'

🤷*♂️ We all know the bulk of what's driving people to these festivals is the mainstage acts. I suspect more people are going to Glasto to see 'Ol Eyelash and Radiohead than there are people going to see Mark Lanegan

Granted, there's probably more to it. I wouldn't know, I've never been to Glasto, nor do I have any intention of going in the near future. But in the context of miss Eyelash, we both know she's going to be a mainstage act, and the mainstage is certainly chock-a-block with pop acts and those are the acts they're going to push in their marketing as the face of Glasto.

So.... Pop festival with a slice of identity crisis?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by TheMcSame
🤷*♂️ We all know the bulk of what's driving people to these festivals is the mainstage acts. I suspect more people are going to Glasto to see 'Ol Eyelash and Radiohead than there are people going to see Mark Lanegan

Granted, there's probably more to it. I wouldn't know, I've never been to Glasto, nor do I have any intention of going in the near future. But in the context of miss Eyelash, we both know she's going to be a mainstage act, and the mainstage is certainly chock-a-block with pop acts

None of that really challenges what I said, though. It has 30 stages, mate. Hundreds of acts over the festival's duration. To say it is a pop festival is to mischaracterise it. The best claim that can be made is that it has a pop stage, basically.

If I was there and Beyonce was headlining, I'd be sticking my head in to see Beyonce, regardless of what I listen to 95% of the time. People in the ballot for the tickets don't know who the headliners are gonna be.,
Original post by gjd800
None of that really challenges what I said, though. It has 30 stages, mate. Hundreds of acts over the festival's duration. To say it is a pop festival is to mischaracterise it. The best claim that can be made is that it has a pop stage, basically.

If I was there and Beyonce was headlining, I'd be sticking my head in to see Beyonce, regardless of what I listen to 95% of the time. People in the ballot for the tickets don't know who the headliners are gonna be.,

Like I said, there's probably more to it.

Also like I said, a pop festival with a slice of identity crisis.
(edited 2 years ago)
it's the luck of the draw! at least billie has songs you can bop to (bad guy, all the good girls go to hell, happier than ever) so regardless of whether you know them you can have a good scream and jump! :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest