The Student Room Group

What job would fit me?

Hi I'm 18 and I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and computer science.

I want a job that's heavy in maths and my AS grades were AAAB. I don't mind working in finance but I don't want crazy hours. I watch and read math books in my free time. I'm okay with doing a masters in something heavy in math. I like econ, I look into it in my free time as well but I didn't do it because, I don't like long essays. I also want something that pays well.

Any suggestions??
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Come do Physics. The pot is thick and we can always use more ladles to stir it.
Reply 2
Original post by Callicious
Come do Physics. The pot is thick and we can always use more ladles to stir it.

I'm enjoying physics a lot, especially watching a couple random yt videos on further topics like quantum physics and general relativity, but I'm terrible at practicals and I'm worried I just won't understand anything intuitively at university
Original post by John Juma

I want a job that's heavy in maths and my AS grades were AAAB. I don't mind working in finance but I don't want crazy hours. I watch and read math books in my free time. I'm okay with doing a masters in something heavy in math. I like econ, I look into it in my free time as well but I didn't do it because, I don't like long essays. I also want something that pays well.

Any suggestions??

Ayyy thats the same (the subjects) ur best options will be smthn like physics or engineering or smthn computer science related
I'm enjoying physics a lot, especially watching a couple random yt videos on further topics like quantum physics and general relativity, but I'm terrible at practicals and I'm worried I just won't understand anything intuitively at university

You like Comp Sci- Do Computational Physics.

I do it- I can attest to the fact that all the A-Level practicals are virtually worthless aside from demonstrating experimental (see: unneeded for our sorts) techniques and data-reduction (see: you don't need these practicals to learn) techniques.
Reply 5
You like Comp Sci- Do Computational Physics.

I do it- I can attest to the fact that all the A-Level practicals are virtually worthless aside from demonstrating experimental (see: unneeded for our sorts) techniques and data-reduction (see: you don't need these practicals to learn) technique

I looked into that and it sounds really interesting but can I do it as a bsc or is it a msc degree?
Reply 6
Original post by the_pharaoh
Ayyy thats the same (the subjects) ur best options will be smthn like physics or engineering or smthn computer science related

That's awesome, are they're any good actual math heavy jobs or would I be best going into education for it?
That's awesome, are they're any good actual math heavy jobs or would I be best going into education for it?

well you could always literally be a mathmetician or theoritical physicist both are the literal definition of maths or even alot of engineering jobs will be very maths heavy

Any suggestions??

these are the perfect a levels for engineering, and luckily for you, the engineering strand that pays better than all the others: software engineering. related: computer engineering, systems engineering, etc. i'm doing it at university and i really love it because its interesting theory-wise but also super practical with the latest equipment
Reply 9
Original post by popsiclegames
these are the perfect a levels for engineering, and luckily for you, the engineering strand that pays better than all the others: software engineering. related: computer engineering, systems engineering, etc. i'm doing it at university and i really love it because its interesting theory-wise but also super practical with the latest equipment

What is it like? What type of stuff can you program?
I looked into that and it sounds really interesting but can I do it as a bsc or is it a msc degree?

BSc w/ Hons in my case- you can do it as a BSc though, or an MPhys (which I am currently in.)
What is it like? What type of stuff can you program?

i haven't started it! i meant i know im going to be doing it haha, and i've taken a few online courses, sorry for the confusion.
Reply 12
BSc w/ Hons in my case- you can do it as a BSc though, or an MPhys (which I am currently in.)

That's actually awesome!! How are you enjoying it so far?
Reply 13
Original post by popsiclegames
i haven't started it! i meant i know im going to be doing it haha, and i've taken a few online courses, sorry for the confusion.

No worries, do you know what unis you'll be applying too?
Reply 14

Are you going into something engineering related?
Are you going into something engineering related?

I'm not 100% clear yet but I'm deffo gonna do either literal physics or smthn engineering related or as my backup option smthn computer science related
Reply 16
data science or data analytics

ugh someone who’s like u oh my god
Original post by gracieee16
ugh someone who’s like u oh my god

Just cuz they wanna study a similar degree doesn't make them like me 🤦🏻*♂️
Just cuz they wanna study a similar degree doesn't make them like me 🤦🏻*♂️

omds be quiet please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending