The Student Room Group

Economics without Further Maths?

My grade profile:

GCSEs:

5 9s and 5 8s, my teachers totally screwed me with a C in my FSMQ Add Maths and there was no opportunity to resit so that's that

A Levels: Predicted A* (Economics), A* (Latin), A (Maths)

Do I have reasonable chance of making it into Durham/Bristol/Bath for Economics without further maths with my grade profile?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnUnkownTeen
My grade profile:

GCSEs:

5 9s and 5 8s, my teachers totally screwed me with a C in my FSMQ Add Maths and there was no opportunity to resit so that's that

Do I have reasonable chance of making it into Durham/Bristol/Bath for Economics without further maths with my grade profile?

Thanks.

Yes you have a reasonable chance, just look at the entry requirements lol. All these unis ask for A*AA including maths and you've got that. Nobody here is going to be able to say more than that you've got a solid chance
My grade profile:

GCSEs:

Thanks.

Do they require or prefer FMaths?

Look at Exeter too
Original post by Muttley79
Do they require or prefer FMaths?

Look at Exeter too

No mention of that at all. I've looked at Exeter, but not sure I want to go there.
Original post by BenRyan99
Yes you have a reasonable chance, just look at the entry requirements lol. All these unis ask for A*AA including maths and you've got that. Nobody here is going to be able to say more than that you've got a solid chance

I've heard that a lot of universities don't explicitly say they want FM but in practice will take them over a normal maths candidate. I'm just hesitating regarding these options. I've kept UCL/LSE/Warwick from my list to account for this, but I'm still not too sure if my current choices are too ambitious or not.
No mention of that at all. I've looked at Exeter, but not sure I want to go there.

Why not - it's far better than Bristol
Why not - it's far better than Bristol

For economics related jobs? Really? I've heard quite different things honestly. I could be very wrong though.
For economics related jobs? Really? I've heard quite different things honestly. I could be very wrong though.

Yes it's a strong uni for Economics ...
I've heard that a lot of universities don't explicitly say they want FM but in practice will take them over a normal maths candidate. I'm just hesitating regarding these options. I've kept UCL/LSE/Warwick from my list to account for this, but I'm still not too sure if my current choices are too ambitious or not.

Cambridge and LSE require FM, UCL and Warwick prefer candidates to have it but I think I remember seeing that only half actually do so not having FM certainly doesn't rule out these unis, let alone rule out Durham, Bristol and Bath.

Please kindly ignore what the other poster said, Exeter doesn't have a better reputation for Econ than Bristol. Myself and I think most economists I've worked with would rate Exeter behind Bristol, Durham, Nottingham and Bath for UG economics. Still a good uni tho and it's MRes program looks pretty rigorous, but I'm pretty sure the consensus is that for undergrad it's behind the unis I mentioned.
Cambridge and LSE require FM, UCL and Warwick prefer candidates to have it but I think I remember seeing that only half actually do so not having FM certainly doesn't rule out these unis, let alone rule out Durham, Bristol and Bath.

Please kindly ignore what the other poster said, Exeter doesn't have a better reputation for Econ than Bristol. Myself and I think most economists I've worked with would rate Exeter behind Bristol, Durham, Nottingham and Bath for UG economics. Still a good uni tho and it's MRes program looks pretty rigorous, but I'm pretty sure the consensus is that for undergrad it's behind the unis I mentioned.

Thank you for your insight. Yeah I've heard Exeter is good but I was surprised to see the take that Exeter is better tbh. I've actually press "send" on my UCAS so I guess this thread is just making sure I don't have to suddenly redo everything lol. I've applied for Cambridge Land Economy, and Economics at Bath, Bristol, Durham and Manchester (insurance). Hopefully get an offer from somewhere.
Reply 10
My grade profile:

GCSEs:

Thanks.

Yes
The only hard one would be Lse, Cambridge
I have known people who have got offers from Warwick and ucl without fm but that was pre pandemic
Original post by ajay06
Yes
The only hard one would be Lse, Cambridge
I have known people who have got offers from Warwick and ucl without fm but that was pre pandemic

Thanks for your response. Kinda regretting not putting Warwick on my application now.
Thank you for your insight. Yeah I've heard Exeter is good but I was surprised to see the take that Exeter is better tbh. I've actually press "send" on my UCAS so I guess this thread is just making sure I don't have to suddenly redo everything lol. I've applied for Cambridge Land Economy, and Economics at Bath, Bristol, Durham and Manchester (insurance). Hopefully get an offer from somewhere.

WHy not believe a teacher who supports UCAS in a high achieving school - Exeter IS better ... check with your own teacher
C

Yes Exeter IS better - I know many top Economists.
(edited 2 years ago)
WHy not believe a teacher who supports UCAS in a high achieving school - Exeter IS better ... check with your own teacher

No offense but why would you assume a school teacher knows more about the economics graduate market today than a bunch of people who've already gone through it and work as actual economists.

I'm all for letting people state their opinions but writing multiple posts about something which almost everyone appears to agree isn't true is a bit odd. When I applied a couple of years ago Exeter asked for AAA without maths a-level whereas Bristol asked for A*AA with maths a-level so there's a clear difference. Granted Exeter has upped their requirements recently but they still only ask for A*AA-AAA with maths only at a B (this doesn't even make sense considering the grades they ask for but whatever).

This is just the entry requirements which I agree aren't a perfect signal but it's an okay indicator of quality of department/cohort/reputation. Having worked as an economist and in top postgrad courses, they're far less Exeter alums than Bristol alums. Not sure why you're trying to push this so much, they're both decent courses, just think most agree that Bristol is a bit better
No offense but why would you assume a school teacher knows more about the economics graduate market today than a bunch of people who've already gone through it and work as actual economists.

I don't think you actually read my post - I haev talked to many top Economists, some are my former students ... your opinion is one and mine is equally valid as yours :smile:
Land economy is basically a law degree, isn't it? Odd choice.

Anyway, you won't struggle getting offers. I applied with A*AB to Nottingham, York, Exeter, Birmingham, Bath - and I got all 5 offers. My B prediction was in mathematics.
I don't think you actually read my post - I haev talked to many top Economists, some are my former students ... your opinion is one and mine is equally valid as yours :smile:

You haven't actually said why you think Exeter is apparently better, you've just said that it's better and that some people you've spoken to say it's better but not actually why. Would be interested to hear why given most indicators point to the contrary.

Maybe it's just me that thinks it's slightly odd that you're saying your opinion is informed by many top economists. If you're talking to lots of top economists, why on earth would you be speaking about the university of exeter lol. You'd think you'd talk about some interesting topics rather than talking to them each individually about a specific uni. Odd. Do these 'top economists' have names?
Original post by econhelp525

Anyway, you won't struggle getting offers. I applied with A*AB to Nottingham, York, Exeter, Birmingham, Bath - and I got all 5 offers. My B prediction was in mathematics.

Think it's meant to be a mixture of real estate, topics in human geog, property law and economics (specifically geo-spatial and housing market related economics topics). Most people apply just to go to Cambridge for a economics related subject from what I've heard
Original post by econhelp525

Not really. I actually chose it because I was stuck between trying to chose between studying Law or Economics. I then came across Land Economy and was like damn I'll try and take a shot at this, but then I'd have to study Economics with my other options. It wasn't really a big deal because I'm super interested in both law and econ.

Quick Reply