The Student Room Group

8013's Pursuit to a First at the most stressful uni in HK (Year 1)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 8013
As you all know, I have just started at HKUST, and will be studying engineering (intended mechanical major) with extended major in AI.
This uni is famous for its heavy workload. I have a different view to most people being a Christian, so I am hoping to go for the first class honours!

Before reading this thread or looking at these posts, I never realised or knew that me, @mjhmichael18 @mjhmichael18 and @8013 @8013 were both Christians. Probably different denominations but still the same religion. Which is something we have in common.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 21
08/09/2021
I kept working until midnight yesterday!
I first completed the MATH1014 homework and tried some exercises problems as well. After looking up an example problem, I have mastered the volume by cross section! I am looking at the shell method today.
I have also finished reading the 3rd set of notes for MECH1906, and used what I learnt in COMP1021 to draw an MTR train. I will complete the drawing by the end of the week.
Reply 22
Btw, the GPA requirement is a 3.6 for major requirements and a 3.4 overall for a first. For those common cores I should put in less effort as I can afford some B/B- grades in them, but for major requirements I need to get a lot of A ranges with the occasional B+ in between, so I am focusing on them.
Reply 23
09/09/2021 and 10/09/2021
For yesterday, I looked at the shell method for Math1014, to be covered next Monday. I also did some preparation for chapter 1.2 for Lang1113p which was covered today. I reviewed my Mech1906 notes as well.
For today, I did work on Math1014 first. The tutor was really good and I managed to complete problems in 3-5 minutes after his guidance, which used to be as long as 20-30 minutes per problem!
Then Mech3110 comes in. I struggled for a long time on the calculation of unit cell density but after praying to God I finally knew how to do it as He gave me a clearer mind.
I am now reviewing my notes and adding in some causes and effects of defects.
Reply 24
The stress and tension is here evidently.

In the first two weeks I have already studied till 11pm or later in a few days.

3/9: 11:30pm

5/9: 11pm

8/9: 12am

10/9: 11:15pm
Reply 25
11/09/2021
All I did today was the lesson preparation and quiz for Lang1113p today.
Reply 26
Just did the 3110 quiz and accidentally hit two incorrect answers! The other incorrect answer is what I had no idea on.
My friend was next to me on the bus and I think this may have impacted me
Reply 27
13/09/2021-17/09/2021 Week 3
From now on I am only doing weekly updates on my stuff.
I am keeping on to do case studies for both MECH modules, doing 15 problems per night for MATH1014 and writing 2 programs per week for COMP1021, all using the skills I have learnt.
I am also moving forward for 1014, so I can understand what is covered in the lectures easily.
I have just finished a presentation on LANG1113P. I will take the feedback and improve on my group presentation in October!
Reply 28
And just before the final exams, I will let you all guess my GPA for the semester. I will give rep to the person who guessed the most accurately.
Reply 29
I remained with a good work ethic over the past week, as I completed work for three modules every day.
For the 3 days before:
MECH3110: Started preparing for the midterm, reviewed Material Basics, Fossil Fuels, CCUS and Nuclear.
MECH1906: Completed half of the assignment 2, up to the topics having been covered. Reviewed Statics and Dynamics and Solid Mechanics, two of the recent topics. I got 92/100 on my first assignment, which is really good!
MATH1014: Having completed assignments 3, 4 and 5 way before the deadline (some topics haven't covered yet!), I kept doing extra exercise problems and those from textbook, and MIT Integration Bee questions, notoriously the hardest integration questions ever. I heard that the grading for 1014 is very harsh so I am doing this to avoid a bad grade.
LANG1113P: Edited my project script. My group is having another meeting today, as we have decided the topic on driverless cars and there are only two weeks left to our presentation!
COMP1021: I kept writing new programs every week using the skills covered in the lectures, just to master them early and storm to an A grade.
Reply 30
Original post by 8013
I remained with a good work ethic over the past week, as I completed work for three modules every day.
For the 3 days before:
MECH3110: Started preparing for the midterm, reviewed Material Basics, Fossil Fuels, CCUS and Nuclear.
MECH1906: Completed half of the assignment 2, up to the topics having been covered. Reviewed Statics and Dynamics and Solid Mechanics, two of the recent topics. I got 92/100 on my first assignment, which is really good!
MATH1014: Having completed assignments 3, 4 and 5 way before the deadline (some topics haven't covered yet!), I kept doing extra exercise problems and those from textbook, and MIT Integration Bee questions, notoriously the hardest integration questions ever. I heard that the grading for 1014 is very harsh so I am doing this to avoid a bad grade.
LANG1113P: Edited my project script. My group is having another meeting today, as we have decided the topic on driverless cars and there are only two weeks left to our presentation!
COMP1021: I kept writing new programs every week using the skills covered in the lectures, just to master them early and storm to an A grade.

Wow you did so much work well done! Do you have any tips for maintaining a good work ethic?
Reply 31
The meeting results of the lang1113P told me to include more details about levels 4 and 5 of automated driving for my part. I will add some more of these, and start preparing for my first university essay. It is a Chinese essay with 1300-1500 characters for 1113, but the longest one I have written was like 800 characters long.

I am targeting a mix of 5s and 6s for my assessment marks for 1113 (out of 7), which should hopefully get me an A- or above.
Reply 32
I did work for three modules again yesterday. A black rainstorm signal was issued at 11:45am yesterday, causing all classes from 12:00nn to 6pm to be cancelled.
However, my 3110 class at 12 still ran as normal and there were only seven people in the room! As my tutorial for 1014 at 2:30pm was cancelled due to the weather, I boarded the 91M bus to leave HKUST at approximately 2:15pm.
For the extra time, I did the following:
LANG1113P: Edited my part based on the discussion results.
MATH1014: Completed some of homework 6 and other exercises. Most of the homework 6 content isn't covered yet, but I am not giving myself excuses and will finish it before the next lecture!
MECH3110: Reviewed Nuclear again, as well as Wind Power and half of PV. I have also submitted my third assignment!
Reply 33
A T8 is hoisted today in HK for Lionrock, so I have an extra day off!
There may be another one next Wednesday as Kompasu hits HK. I hope to use these storm days well!
Reply 34
I managed to keep doing work for three modules last Saturday when Lionrock came. Even with less time on the Sunday and Monday, I still did work for two modules, most notably working on the presentation for LANG1113P.

But now...
200px-No._8_Northeast_Gale_or_Storm_Signal_small.png
Another storm is here! Kompasu has arrived! I hope that I can use this storm day well!
Reply 35
I left HKUST at around 2pm yesterday, but the queue for the bus 91M, the core route to/from HKUST, was longer than usual. It seemed that everyone wanted to return early because of the storm coming!

As I left early, I managed to do work for four modules yesterday!
I first completed an assignment for LANG1113P, followed by reviewing Aerospace and Aerodynamics for MECH1906 after completing its assignment. Then it was a review of Wind, PV and Battery for MECH3110, and finally some practice on Partial Fractions, Integration By Parts and Trigonometric Substitution for MATH1014.
Reply 36
AHHHHHH!
MIDTERM INCOMING!
My mech3110 midterm is on Monday, but I have prepared well. Just same as the IAL GYG, if I failed the midterm, the following will be the result of Manchester United vs Liverpool to be played on 22/10/2021:
IMG_20211015_150905.jpg
But if I get at least 1 SD above mean, this will be the result:
IMG_20211015_150840.jpg
I am sure that losing 4-0 to a fierce rival really hurts, and beating them 4-0 on their own turf is truly amazing, so this really motivates me!
Original post by 8013
Just did the 3110 quiz and accidentally hit two incorrect answers! The other incorrect answer is what I had no idea on.
My friend was next to me on the bus and I think this may have impacted me

That won't be the reason you accidentally hit two incorrect answers and friendships are important in life too.
Reply 38
18/10/2021
MIDTERM TODAY!
The only thing I spent work on yesterday was 3110. I am going out in full force for the midterm! My other classmates are all 3rd/4th years, so if I get an A grade, this will be an achievement like Leicester winning the PL in 2015/16!
Reply 39
It seems like everyone loves an underdog. Myself and the other first year taking the module are cheered on by fellow classmates before the midterm.

It was OK, the MC was quite easy but the last calculation gave me a nightmare.

The next midterm will be for MATH1014 on Friday.

Quick Reply