The Student Room Group

2022 Mathematics Applicants

Hi!

I thought I'd create a thread for 2022 mathematics (and joint subjects) applicants because I can't find one. This is just a chat for all things maths application related. Maybe introduce yourself and say where you are applying if you want.

I've applied for maths and comp sci / AI at Oxford, Manchester, York, Leicester and Birmingham and I do A level maths, further maths, computer science and music.

It is nearly admissions test time for those of us doing MAT and TMUA so how are you finding preparation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey Im applying for maths at cambridge warwick ucl and bath and maths and cs at imperial. I'm not doing the mat or the tmua though I cba lol. ill be doing STEP next year anyway though.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Cs115
hey Im applying for maths at cambridge warwick ucl and bath and maths and cs at imperial. I'm not doing the mat or the tmua though I cba lol. ill be doing STEP next year anyway though.

cool,
the reason I'm not applying to cambridge or imperial is because I don't want to do step lol

what A levels are you taking?
Reply 3
Original post by Cupcakes12
cool,
the reason I'm not applying to cambridge or imperial is because I don't want to do step lol

what A levels are you taking?

maths further maths physics and computer science and epq if you count that as well haha
Reply 4
Original post by Cs115
maths further maths physics and computer science and epq if you count that as well haha

damn

4 A levels and an epq is hardcore
Reply 5
damn

Maths and further maths are basically just 1.5 a levels and mechanics overlaps in maths and physics so its not as much work as 4 completely different a levels. What are your gcses and predicted?
Reply 6
Original post by Cs115
Maths and further maths are basically just 1.5 a levels and mechanics overlaps in maths and physics so its not as much work as 4 completely different a levels. What are your gcses and predicted?

My predicted grades are A*A*A*A*
and GCSEs 9999999998
Reply 7
My predicted grades are A*A*A*A*
and GCSEs 9999999998

My grades are literally identical to yours wtf haha
Yay, a maths thread!
I'm applying for MSci Mathematics at Cardiff, Edinburgh, Manchester, Imperial and Oxford (Jesus College), although I'm starting to doubt myself over the last two.
I think I'm pretty prepared for the MAT and have also been completing the old STEP 1 papers and AEA, which seem okay too, just in case Imperial requests STEP as part of a conditional offer.
Reply 9
Original post by Indililam1
Yay, a maths thread!
I'm applying for MSci Mathematics at Cardiff, Edinburgh, Manchester, Imperial and Oxford (Jesus College), although I'm starting to doubt myself over the last two.
I think I'm pretty prepared for the MAT and have also been completing the old STEP 1 papers and AEA, which seem okay too, just in case Imperial requests STEP as part of a conditional offer.

cool, how did you pick a college?

and has anyone had any offers yet?
cool, how did you pick a college?

and has anyone had any offers yet?

I received advice from an Oxford alumni who now works at my school and it seemed like a decent college. I don't particularly care for the collegiate system so it made no difference to me really.
damn

IB is harder :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by 17joshmogs

haha probably but Ib maths aint as hard tho:wink:

what's IB?
Reply 14
what's IB?

international baccalaureate
Original post by Cs115
haha probably but Ib maths aint as hard tho:wink:

HA! IB Maths at Higher Level is for sure harder
Reply 16
HA! IB Maths at Higher Level is for sure harder

It's harder than A level maths just not FM. Just doesn't cover as much content and ur gonna have to do a lot more work to prepare for STEP.
Original post by Cs115
It's harder than A level maths just not FM. Just doesn't cover as much content and ur gonna have to do a lot more work to prepare for STEP.

One would argue that it may also be harder than FM. Probably not the stuff in STEP though
Reply 18
One would argue that it may also be harder than FM. Probably not the stuff in STEP though

It certainly doesn't cover as much as further maths

You'd be wrong though .... I've taught both :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest